Sunday, January 2, 2011

Risotto with Smoked Salmon, Spinach and Peas



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This is a light and lovely entrée that's packed with flavor. It is perfect for Meatless Monday or any day you are looking for something that can be quickly made and is easy on the palate. I normally serve risotto as a side dish, but the addition of smoked salmon and loads of vegetables gives this dish enough heft to serve as a delicious one-dish meal. The intense flavor of the the salmon permeates the rice and produces a wonderfully flavorful meal in about 30 minutes. I wanted to begin the new year with a series of recipes that included something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue. This is my offering for the "something old" in that equation. The recipe I've adapted was developed about 20 years ago by Marian Burrows, a cookbook author and journalist who is a senior staff write at the New York Times. I make this recipe at least once a year for my family who really enjoy it. I think you might like it, too. The ingredients, as listed below, will produce three meal-size servings. Here's the recipe.

Risotto with Smoked Salmon, Spinach and Peas...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by Marian Burrows

Ingredients:
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup minced onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
4 to 5 ounces baby spinach washed, stemmed and torn or cut into smaller pieces
3 ounces smoked salmon, diced
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Directions:

1) Heat oil in 2-quart pot. Saute garlic and onion in hot oil until they begin to take on color.
2) Meanwhile, pour chicken broth into a separate pot and bring to a simmer.
3) Add rice to garlic and onion mixture, stirring until well coated. Add wine and cook until liquid has almost evaporated, about 2 minutes.
4) Add 1 cup of hot broth to rice and cook over high heat, stirring very often until liquid has been absorbed. Repeat procedure two to three times, or until rice is almost cooked.
5) Add final cup of broth to pot along with spinach, salmon and peas. When rice is tender and some liquid remains, add rice and lemon juice. Stir well. Serve immediately. Yield: 3 servings.

You might also enjoy these recipes:
Easy Vegetable Risotto - Lite Bite
Asparagus Risotto - Las Vegas Food Adventures
Tomato Risotto Recipe - Pham Fatale
Beetroot Risotto - Angie's Recipes
Wild Mushroom Risotto - Bunky Cooks
Butternut Squash Risotto - So Tasty, So Yummy
Baked Crab Risotto with Cream Cheese and Chilli - Simply Delicious

38 comments :

Pondside said...

I love one-dish meals. I've never been very good at risottos but I keep on trying, and The Great Dane never complains.

Tasha said...

I have been wanting to make risotto again, and this looks like a lovely version with the peas and spinach!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love the something old, borrrowed and blue concept Mary. Thuis may be an older recipe but it is not "retro" by any means. Happy New Year,

Claudia said...

Something old and something new - this tickled and touched me. I definitely will be doing this is the coming month and I eat lighter and lighter - until Carnevale! I've never put salmon in risotto. It should be a New Year's resolution for me - because it is so do-able.

justjoycee said...

My kind of dish, very nice recipe.....

StephenC said...

Peter and I are extremely fond of risotto (had it last night, with the last bits of duck and some leftover spinach). I've also made it with my own gravlax. Thanks for the reminder of how good that can be.

eatgood4life.blogspot.com said...

I have not made risotto in for ever, I think I will this week. Thanks for the reminder :-)

Victor said...

I love making risotto. My most recent one was a saffron pea risotto. I'm sure going to try smoked salmon the next time I'll pass by the supermarket.

Katerina said...

Risotto is such a versatile meal. You can make so many variations and create numerous dishes. I love smoked salmon and I am sure this is a very delicate and tasty entree.

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is a beautiful dish! I love salmon with any kind of rice, and usually serve it with rice, this is much prettier and fancier than mine, though. And I love the spinach addition. I remember Marion Burroughs! And she also was on T.V. from time to time, she would have little short segments on other shows.

From the Kitchen said...

I printed the recipe! Although I didn't make any real resolutions for the new year, I promised myself to print recipes immediately--the ones that sounded delicious and that'd we'd enjoy. I did it. I'm so pleased with myself as I'm sure we'll be when I make the risotto.

Now back to my other non-resolution of cleaning out the paper files.

Best,
Bonnie

Joanne said...

I have some serious love for risotto, especially with smoked salmon and tons of veggies in it! Sounds like a great way to kick off the new year!

Dinners and Dreams said...

Wonderful risotto recipe. White wine, cheeese and peas are great in risotto.

Nisrine

Peggy said...

This is definitely my kind of one dish meal! I love the addition of the smoked salmon! Will definitely bookmark this!

Priya Suresh said...

Wishing you and ur family a happy and prosperous new year...woww makes me hungry..

mr. pineapple man said...

looks amazing as always! Happy new year!

PeggyR said...

This sounds delicious!

Carol said...

Looks delicious!
Happy New Year!

Julie said...

I love risotto, it's my favorite comfort food. Salmon sounds like a wonderful addition to risotto. Bookmarking this one to try soon!

Unknown said...

This makes a wonderful weeknight meal, great flavors that I have never tried before.

Big Dude said...

This sounds delicious Mary.

Marcela S. said...

Happy New Year to you too! I love your recipes and believe me I'm a big fan. Cheers.

Rachana said...

Happy New Year dear Mary :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Mary, Happy New Year! This bowl of risotto would make it to my "last meal" list! Perfect for dinner and company! Lovely!

Faith said...

Your risotto looks fantastic, Mary! It's so full of goodies, I especially love the smoked salmon.

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

For something "old" this is a recipe full of sharp, vibrant colors. Pretty beautiful ...

Rhonda said...

Risotto and smoked salmon is the way to my heart!

teresa said...

oh wow, i've never thought to put salmon in risotto, what a lovely idea, it looks delicious!

The Glamorous Gourmet said...

I've never had salmon in risotto but this sounds delicious! Sounds like a perfect recipe for ringing in the New Year after all the indulgence of the past few weeks - thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Wishing you a great blogging new year.

Diana's Cocina said...

I would have loved celebrating the new year with this risotto ~ Happy new year Mary!

Banana Wonder said...

Mmmmm mmmmm I am loving this risotto combination you got going on here! Sounds so tasty!

Kerstin said...

What a lovely risotto - yum! Happy New Year!!

Tia said...

ooh those flavors sound heavenly!

Sue said...

Oh, that risotto looks delicious! I'm surprised the cooking directions don't look too difficult, I love easy recipes. This would be a perfect dish to make for my new pescatarian diet :) Bookmarked!

bunkycooks said...

Your risotto sounds like the perfect dish to warm up the cold evenings! I love the combination of flavors. BTW, thank you for including me in your list of risottos!

That Girl said...

Risotto is on my menu for this weekend!

www.facebook.com/becki.sue.kugler said...

I recently "discovered" risottos, in all their creamy deliciousness. Was thrilled when I saw this recipe, because I had a package of smoked salmon in the freezer, just waiting to be used. My husband and I really enjoyed this, and I love how easy it was to whip up on a weeknight!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly