Thursday, June 30, 2011

Relish the Relish - Two Hot Dog Toppers



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...It's a miracle that any of us raised in the 40's and 50's lived to tell the tale. We biked without helmets, skated without knee pads and rode shotgun without seat belts. Folks were not yet health conscious and, unless your mother was a dietician, pantry shelves sagged under the weight of newly introduced dips, chips and spreads. Casseroles ruled the day and a quick dinner of hot dogs and chips was not unusual. One of the treats of the time was a cheese stuffed hot dog wrapped in bacon. When I stumbled on a recipe for them written by Emeril Lagasse , I really had to laugh. The lowly hot dog had come full circle. As bad as these might be for you, they are delicious, and had Proust sampled one, culinary literature might forever have been changed. Over the next few days, folks are going to consume a lot of hot dogs, so, I thought this would be a good time to share some recipes for condiments to serve with them. As it happens, I have two recipes for relish that I think you'll enjoy. They are easy to make and will allow you to put your own stamp on the hot dogs you serve this holiday weekend. Here's how they're made.



Cranberry and Sauerkraut Relish...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Taste of Home Magazine

Ingredients:
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/2 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and drained

Directions:
In a small saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add cranberry sauce, mustard, sugar, garlic powder and pepper sauce. Cook and stir for 5-10 minutes or until cranberry sauce is melted. Add sauerkraut; heat through. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate Yield: 1-1/2 cups.



Quick Pickle Relish...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Michael Chiarello

Ingredients:
1 cup diced dill pickle
1/4 cup hot/sweet mustard
1 tablespoon pickle brine
1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
Optional: 1 teaspoon drained, chopped pimento

Directions:
Combine all ingredients, stir and serve with hot dogs or hamburgers.







One Year Ago Today: Red Pepper Relish















Two Years Ago Today: Parmesan Crisps








You might also enjoy these recipes:
Sweet or Savory Pickle Relish - Cooking with Corey
Sweet Pickle Relish - Stefani's Cooking Spot
Dill Pickle Relish - The Tasty Kitchen
Corn Relish - Simply Recipes
Pickled Pepper Relish - One Perfect Bite

36 comments :

Betty @ scrambled henfruit said...

I too remember those days of no bike helmets or seat belts. No computers or color tv either- how did we survive? :) These relishes look like they'd be the perfect complement to any self respecting hot dog. I especially like the sound of the cranberry one- I can almost taste that one right now!

Anonymous said...

These both sound different and tasty! I'll have to include them in this weekend's picnic toppings!

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Had to chuckle at your true comments about how we grew up!! Riding shotgun!!! Marvelous. I do crave a good dog every now and then. You have just gilded the lily. Thanks.

StephenC said...

You continue to amaze and amuse me, Mary. I grew up in the 40's and 50's and ate plenty of hotdogs. I have freshly cured dill pickles in my fridge and you've given me something fun to do with a couple of them.

Diane said...

But we did survive and I am sure we had more fun, also think we are probably tougher for it!!
Love this recipe sounds really yummy. Take care Diane

lindalou said...

Ahh, the memories of when we truly lived dangerously. Does anyone remember the old station wagons with a rear facing third row. We would sit back there, no seatbelts with the rear window down. (No air conditioning in those days.) How crazy was that.

Good idea to dress up your hotdog with these relishes.

(I've never had a cheese stuff, bacon-wrapped hotdog. Sounds like a missed out)

Lynn said...

Both relishes sound great Mary! And yep, I am looking forward to a hot dog or two this weekend:@)

Rita said...

Love this! I also have my home made recipe for relish; sure beats story bought.
Rita

Y said...

I love hot dogs. In fact, despite being health conscious, I love all junk food!
My parents are also very nostalgic of those years, and always have beautiful stories to tell. People might have been eating worse, but they were also more active! Kids weren't in front of computers all the time!
Anyway, lovely post :)
xxx

Beverly said...

Perfect share for today, Mary. We are having grilled brats, and I was pondering a relish to serve.

Thank you for these!

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

Isnt this perfect for the upcoming holiday bravo its awesome!

Ruth said...

These both look delicious! The parmesan crisps from two years ago look awesome too! thanks for sharing!

Susan..... said...

I just posted about chicken/turkey vs pork/beef dogs last week. It is a wonder we survived. Might eat them less often but every now & then you just have to have a dog. Hubby loves to pile my homemade zucchini pickles on his dogs so I know he would love that pickle relish. Will be making that one soon. Thanks for sharing.

Donna Elick said...

These look delightful!!!

Anonymous said...

Ah hot dogs! These two recipes make me smile! I live in the splendar of the Chicago Dog and I wonder how well these would go over at my next BBQ. Served on a burger, though, that's the ticket...
Karen

Ginny Hartzler said...

Phil would be in heaven with these relishes, but my eyes have fallen on the Parmesan crisps below and I have copied them. I'm thinking they would be good salad toppers? You are right about living through the 40's and 50's! I remember watching the original Wuthering Heights movie, and when Heathcliff's love became ill,the doctor advised plenty of rest, heavy cream, and butter.

Unknown said...

You just have us all ready for the holiday weekend! Thanks Mary, they look awesome!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Yes I often marvel at how we are still here when we ate what we wanted, never wore a helmet and walked to the corner store. Hot dogs remind me of campfires and summer, and I live to tell the tale.

Wendy Irene said...

That cranberry one looks really good to me! Happy 4th of July Weekend :)

Priya Suresh said...

Mouthwatering here, wonderful relishs..

Joanne said...

I haven't eaten a hot dog in over a decade, but that cranberry relish sounds like it's calling to me! I might just eat it with a spoon.

PeggyR said...

Those look yummy. I believe we are having hot dogs at the senior lunch tomorrow.

Wendy said...

I always loved this meal. My mom usually served it with potato chips as a vegetable! Your relishes sound delicious - I'll be trying them this weekend!

Maris (In Good taste) said...

These relishes are amazing. I especially like the sauerkraut and cranberry one.

Karen said...

I thought that my mother was the only one that made hotdogs stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon. My husband could not believe that we had these for dinner. I don't remember what she served with them but my brother and I thought they were fancy.

Alessandra said...

I really like them Mary, especially the second (cranberries are not so easy to find in NZ) which is quick and easy :-).

Ciao
Alessandra

Anonymous said...

Excellent!

Tanna said...

I am all over that cranberry - sauerkraut relish!! It will be perfect with the venison and pork smoked sausages we are planning to enjoy! Thank you so much, Mary! blessings ~ Tanna

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

and we had to get up to turn off the TV. Imagine that :) The two toppers look delicious!
Have a great weekend!

Elin said...

Mary...I am hungry just looking at your hot dog toppers :) I shall have these toppers for my burger :) Thanks for sharing the recipe for these relish toppers..I am sure they taste good and give the hot dog some oomph :)

Have a great weekend,
Elin

Anonymous said...

my husband is a hot dog lover - and some weekends that is our staple lunch :)

Katarina said...

Both sound very tasty :)

Magic of Spice said...

What a fun post...and your relishes are wonderful! Very true that there will likely be many hot dogs eaten this weekend, and what a way to dress them up :)

Jann said...

Yes, yes......how did we survive! Never could i eat a hot dog without relish~both look delicious!

The Harried Cook said...

You're right! Perfect timing for a relish recipe, right? :) And I must say that cranberry relish sounds really good! Thanks for sharing :)

That Girl said...

I don't know about cheese stuffed, but we still wrap hot dogs in bacon down here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly