Sunday, July 10, 2011

Chocolate Caramel Crunch Cake



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...It's a hot mess. If you love chocolate, caramel and nuts, literally buried in a mound of creamy snow, fasten your seat belts 'cause we're heading to paradise. If your tastes, like mine, tend toward the spare and barely sweet, I beg your indulgence and promise, that later in the week, there'll be something here for you as well. I've had this cake several times this summer, so, it's fair to say it has fans in this small community I call home. My first bite came from the, not so meager, piece the Silver Fox had claimed for himself at a block party. He was in paradise and had already extracted the promise of a recipe from its very flattered baker. I noted the cake quickly disappeared from the table and my husband's plate, but I foolishly thought that would be the end of it. I was certain that with all the other good things served that day, the cake would surely fade into memory. You know how things don't always work the way you think they will? Over the course of the next week, three copies of the recipe were tucked into our mailbox and a quarter of the cake miraculously appeared at our door. The Fox is obviously a charmer. The cake we were given disappeared in an embarrassingly short time. The Fox began to cajole and before I knew it, I was at the counter throwing the cake together. He believes his low-fat argument has swayed me. I'm a great actress. I also have a sense of humor and know the best way to stop an itch is to scratch it really hard. He tired of the cake half way through it 9 x 13-inch excess. It was too much of a good thing and I had to send the remains down the hill. I'm told by the mother of that clan, who, by the way, asked for the recipe, that the boys scorffed it up. If you asked me to describe the cake, the words ooey,gooey come to mind. It is not a cake I would choose for myself, but an awful lot of people love it. I learned a long time ago that I'm not an arbiter of taste, so here's the recipe for those of you who love things that are ooey, gooey, soft and chewy.

Chocolate Caramel Crunch Cake...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Taste of Home Magazine

Ingredients:
1 package (18-1/4 ounces) devil's food cake mix
1-1/3 cups water
5 egg whites
1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fat-free caramel ice cream topping
5 fun-size Butterfinger candy bars, crushed
1 carton (8 ounces) frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2) Combine cake mix, water and egg whites in a largebowl and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pan.
3) Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
4) With a meat fork or wooden skewer, poke holes about 2 in. apart into cake. Slowly pour condensed milk and caramel topping over cake; sprinkle with two-thirds of the crushed candy bars. Spread with whipped topping; sprinkle with remaining candy bars. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 18 servings.







One Year Ago Today: Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream














Two Years Ago Today: Ice Cream Crunch Cake







You might also enjoy these recipes:
Blackberry Chocolate Sheet Cake - Expat Cucuina
Raspberry Lime Sheet Cake - Annie's Eats
Mini Texas Sheet Cakes - Dinners for a Year and Beyond
Chocolate Sheet Cake - That Skinny Chick Can Bake !!!
The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake. Ever. - The Pioneer Woman Cooks

60 comments :

Tanna said...

I don't think the 'low fat' ingredients are going to counter the richness of that whole package! LOL! It does sound sinfully good and I'm pretty sure if I make it, I will go ahead and make a full fat version! LOL! Sadly, I am starting a diet tomorrow; I have indulged too much for too long. LOL! So, it will be awhile before I am tempting myself with such goodness. Have a wonderful day, Mary. blessings ~ tanna

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Mary, this is tempting in a "bring a dish to a picnic" sort of way. I have always turned my nose down on a recipe that starts with a cake mix, but, on the other hand, I am wishing I could eat a piece of this right now. sigh

Pondside said...

My taste runs to a plain pound cake or piece of tart apple cake, but I can see that this would be the perfect cake to bring to a potluck or barbecue. As a matter of fact, there are two this week, and this looks nice and easy!

Choclette said...

Mary, I think I'm with you. Even for me and I like ooey gooey, soft and chewy, this sounds a tad too much. Might try and make my own version up though as I like the sound of the title.

Diane said...

Mmmmmm I could just sink my teeth into that right now it looks so yummy. Diane

Food Glorious Food! said...

ooey, gooey, soft and chewy... definitely my thing!! Would definitely love to try this recipe but I may have problem getting the devil's food cake mix... any alternative? Thanks for sharing and have a great week ahead :)

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

yum this looks awesome!

That Girl said...

Not only does this look delicious, but it also looks really easy!

Sue/the view from great island said...

I have some ooey gooey lovers in this house, I'm sure, but I don't know if i dare open the Pandora's box!

Betty @ scrambled henfruit said...

My sister makes a version of this (with Heath bars instead of Butterfingers)- She calls it a "Better than s*x cake." She'll only make it for pot lucks, and there's never any left. I'm going to send her your low-fat version- I know she'll want to try it! :)

Délices d´Ispahan said...

This looks awesome! I love gooey sweets....

Marguerite said...

Omg, this looks sinfully delicious and I can't wait to try it! Thanks for the great recipe!!

Alina---Explora Cuisine said...

Wow, this cake looks awesome, and the caramel really gets my total attention! the photo is stunning Mary, congrats!

Anonymous said...

The froating looks heavenly!

Ali said...

Yum yum yum yum yum. No really! Yum. :) Moist chocolate cake with caramel crunch, that sounds and looks delicious.

Y said...

ooey, gooey, soft & chewy is like music to my ears, mary :) looks great!

Cooking Gallery said...

This looks fantastic! I love soft, chocolaty and chewy dessert. I wish I could have a bite...!

Maris (In Good taste) said...

I am with your husband on this one Mary! Yum!

Anonymous said...

may I have a piece please,, yum!it looks so good,, well thats it,, I have too make this,, done deal!

sangeeta said...

Anything gooey with rich chocolate .....i would love the caramel crunch in it.

Donna Elick said...

Oh my word, these desserts are getting better and better. I am going to need to leash my tongue, as it is dancing in my mouth.

YUMMMM

Julie said...

Ooey and Gooey are my favorite. It's perfect for a summer party. Thanks for sharing another great recipe!

Terri @ that's some good cookin' said...

Seriously? Seriously? Thank HEAVENS I am now allergic to chocolate or else I would eat myself to death on this one.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I'm with your husband, it does look wonderful!!!

Cindy said...

Hi Mary, Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your kind comments. Your blog is amazing! Thanks for leading me here. Come visit me anytime and follow me too.

Anonymous said...

I love it! I also looove your dessert you made last year and the year before! They're all a delight!

Foodiewife said...

Holy cow! My glucose levels shot up, just reading the ingredients. You have a wicked good sense of humor. It sounds like you really scratched the Silver Fox's itch. I'd probably opt for a slice of this, but I don't think I'll be making it anytime soon. Sweetened Condensed Milk is so sweet!

Alessandra said...

It looks great Mary, the topping is so simple yet effective (never thought of crushing sweets for a topping), and the chocolate really dark and intense :-).

I think that eating cakes should go with the lifestyle, some people can eat more than others, some get fat or sick, they should be careful. Simple as that. Or is it?

Have a good week

ciao
Alessandra

Jihane @ Sinful Sundays said...

This sounds like something that I would immensely enjoy. I love all things ooey,gooey and chocolate. Thanks for sharing this recipe! :)

RATOLINHA said...

Ohhh Meus Deus!!!
Que tentação aos olhos e ao paladar!!!!
É tão perfeita na apresentação das fotos. Muitos parabéns.
beijinhos

Lynn said...

All that and it's diet too!?!? Oh boy, that looks good, but I'm with you Mary, I like my desserts a little tamer. Simple cookies and fruit pies for me:@)

Chris's Gourmet Fashion said...

I don't normally use cake mixes (usually because I prefer to know what goes into my cake), but this looks delicious - for those who don't want to use a cake mix, I imagine it would work just as well with a home made chocolate cake mix. Lovely presentation

melonpan said...

I love sweets^^
wow beautiful pictures. That looks gorgeous and delicious.now i am hungry T.T i will try out the recipe^^

nancy@skinnykitchen.com said...

Mary, all i can say is wow and YUMMY!I can't wait to make this...

Susan Lindquist said...

Haha! Mary! I will guard this recipe ... and when I want some little thing from Silent Bob I will make this recipe ... and then I will sit back and watch him cave like house of cards! Pooooof!

Please don't judge me! Haha! But I DO know my husband!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Looks like July 10th is Crunch day at OPB since a year ago you also made a crunchy delicious dessert Mary.

Katie said...

I'm sure this cake has fans in your community! I'm definitely a fan now too. This looks just delicious!

Joanne said...

I'm a lover of all cakes, without reservation. Ooey gooey or not. This looks so delicious! Next time, feel free to send the leftovers my way!

Susie said...

Oh Yeah! I have made my share (and eaten my share) of a cake similar to this. It reminds me of "Better Than Sex" cake - which is with german chocolate cake and heath bars. I'm so glad you posted this - I'm going to try this version next time I have company. Your picture is wonderful!

Elin said...

Mary...each time I drop by, I know I am in paradise :) love this mouthwatering chocolate caramel crunch cake...gosh just gazing at it, I am already intoxicated !!!! Thanks for sharing another wonderful cake :)
Have a nice day,
Elin

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Probably not a cake I would enjoy either, but I certainly enjoyed reading about it. ;)

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Looks much too good. I should keep this until some of my grandkids come over. They would love it, from the youngest to the oldest...not so sure about the youngest.

Katarina said...

So delicious!

Anonymous said...

This is so tempting to make!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

You are cracking me up . . . "fasten your seatbelt, we are on our way to paradise."

Fondly,
Glenda

The Glamorous Gourmet said...

That would not last long in my house either! Sounds positively delicious - can't wait to try it but will probably wait to bring it to an event so I don't end up eating most of it myself - lol! Thanks for sharing:)

The Harried Cook said...

Oh wow... This cake is absolutely calling out my name! How I wish I had a chunk of this on my table right now! Thanks for the recipe :)

jules said...

oh my...this sounds like a definite crowd pleaser.

Anonymous said...

I love ooey gooey and rich and sweet and chocolatey! But this one is not for me either :)

Unknown said...

MARY!!!!!...divine!!!!!!

Lenia said...

You are so right!!!With such a cake our only destination is paradise!!!Love it!

cocoa and coconut said...

This looks SO delicious! I love the idea of this rich, decadent cake. Caramel and chocolate is a very tempting combination Mary! Thanks for the recipe..will try it soon!

penny aka jeroxie said...

sounds awesome! I want a big big slice.

Sabienne said...

....I can barely express what I feel about this cake, hahaha:-)stunning and with caramel!paradise!

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 said...

It looks amazing. I love ooey gooey cakes.

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

You had me at chocolate, caramel and nuts!!!!!!! I swear i JUST had a bite sised Snickers. I WILL be making this! Thanks. XO, Pinky

Magic of Spice said...

That looks seriously delicious!

Lucie said...

This is sort of like tres leches cake gone wild!! I love it!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Um, not really my cup of tea at all. But well done you for being a good wife!

mari carmen said...

También me gusta mucho Mari pero algunos ingredientes,no son fáciles de conseguir.Besos

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly