Monday, October 10, 2011

Cranberry Almond Coffee Cake



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This is a lovely cake to serve for brunch or a holiday breakfast. It's really easy to prepare, but the ingredients needed to make it may require advance planning. Almond paste and fresh, or frozen, cranberries are among the items you'll need to have on hand. If almond paste is not available in your stores, you can find a recipe for a home made version here. Hopefully, you have a stash of cranberries in your freezer. I make it a point to freeze several bags each season so we can enjoy cranberry desserts throughout the year. In a pinch, frozen raspberries can be used as a substitute. The cake has a very stiff batter and any berry you use has to be able to stand up to the folding process. Freezing helps if you are not using cranberries. The almond paste gives this cake wonderful flavor and it is the perfect foil for the tart cranberries. This is not a sweet cake, but those of you who like European-style cakes and pastries will really enjoy it. I hope you will try it. Here's the recipe.

Cranberry Almond Coffee Cake
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Anne Keenan

Ingredients:
1/2 cup almond paste
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
3 eggs
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 8-inch square pan.
2) Cream almond paste, butter and 1/2 cup sugar until fluffy in a medium bowl. Add two eggs, beating well after each addition.
3) Combine 1 cup flour and baking powder. Add to creamed mixture. Beat in remaining egg and flour. Stir in extracts. Gently fold in cranberries.
4) Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near center of cake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.







One Year Ago Today: Baked Stuffed Tomatoes


















Two Years Ago Today: Berry Patch Cake









You might also enjoy these recipes:
Cranberry Streusel Cake - Saved by the Egg Timer
Upside Down Cranberry Cake - Holy Cannoli Recipes
Apple Cranberry Cake - Food4Thought
Apple Cinnamon Cranberry Cake with Vanilla Buttercream - Rising Wold Eats
Cornmeal Cranberry Cake - Food Republik

26 comments :

mia xara said...

My goodness,almonds and cranberries,my favorite combination!Looks fabulous!!

Jeannie said...

It is a very beautiful cake, I love the design created by the addition of cranberries:)

Martha said...

This sounds lovely and I do the same -- alas, my stash is low but I think I have one more bag and may make this this week.

MissCakeBaker said...

This would be so lovely for a brunch.

Banana Wonder said...

yuuhum! i want this. i want this badly.

Cheah said...

This cake is so lovely, just can't stop admiring the colours.

Priya Suresh said...

Cake looks absolutely divine and beautiful..

Couscous & Consciousness said...

This is totally my kind of cake - can't wait to try it. Think I would also love it with raspberries, possbily some chunks of white chocolate too.
Sue :-)

Katarina said...

This looks so delicious!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It's definietly a good idea to buy cranberries during the holidays and freeze them. They are next to impossible to find outside of the holiday seasons.

Kim said...

This cake, all in season, is definitly for me.

Unknown said...

Love cranberries and almonds together! And make them into a cake and... well.. you will never get rid of me!

From the Kitchen said...

A very nice combination! I'm awaiting cranberries in the supermarket--maybe next trip.

Best,
Bonnie

Red Nomad OZ said...

As always, your photo leaves me drooling ... then I read the recipe! Damn that gene that means I can perfectly imagine what that ingredient combination tastes like!!!

Unknown said...

Sounds amazingly delicious and perfect for the holidays!

Clint said...

Nice. Very nice.

That Girl said...

I definitely need to start freezing cranberries.

Chiara said...

can't wait to try it Mary ! I love these kind of cake, thanks for sharing..have a great week....

teresa said...

oh this is gorgeous! i love that you use almond paste!

Joanne said...

I'm a cranberry hoarder also! Can't wait to try this!

Amalia said...

What a beautiful and bright cake. It looks gorgeous! I'll have to freeze extra cranberries this season too. Thanks for the great recipe and tips, looking forward to your next one! :)

Ryan said...

This is such a beautiful cake! I have a few bags in the freezer too and always like to find new uses for them. This sounds delicious!

Silver Strands said...

That is absolutely beautiful!!! And I'm sure it's so yummy that it wouldn't last long enough in this house to enjoy it's beauty :)

Harika baratam said...

I am just tempting with u r recipes canmnot wait to taste it.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I have never purchased almond paste before. I see it is time I did.

Fondly,
Glenda

tender b. said...

I still have cranberries I've saved waiting for a nice baked good. Coffee cake fits the bill.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly