Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pumpkin-Apple Streusel Coffee Cake



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This moist pudding-like cake is nice for a brunch table or a morning coffee meeting. I like it for its seasonality and the ease with which it can be made. It actually is the only recipe in my hopper that uses both apples and pumpkin and therein lies its charm. A pumpkin-spice cake batter is topped with caramelized apples and liberally sprinkled with streusel before baking. It's baked until it's golden brown and bubbling and when you're sure its aroma will drive you to madness, you declare it done. The cake is best eaten within hours of being made. It is a moist cake to begin with, and if allowed to sit overnight it becomes goopy. I like to serve it while still warm, with a dollop of cinnamon-flavored whipped cream or a scoop of really good vanilla ice cream. I don't want to mislead lead you here. This is not a cake that will make your reputation. The adjective that best describes it is nice. If you are looking for a seasonally appropriate cake that is a bit different than most, I think you'll enjoy this one. It probably won't make your top ten list but it is sufficient to the day. Here's the recipe for those of you who have a surplus of apples and pumpkins on hand. Enjoy!

Pumpkin-Apple Streusel Coffee Cake...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Bon Appetit

Ingredients:
Apples
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 cups diced peeled cored Granny Smith apples (about 4 large)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cake
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup (firmly packed) golden brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup toasted chopped walnuts
3/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
1/3 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs

Directions:
1) Prepare apples: Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples; sauté until apples begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add sugar and cinnamon and sauté until golden brown, about 3 minutes longer. Cool.
2) Prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan. Combine flour, brown sugar, butter, and salt in large bowl. Using electric mixer, beat until mixture resembles coarse meal. Place walnuts in a small bowl. Add 2/3 cup of crumb mixture to nuts and set aside. Beat pumpkin, sour cream, 2 tablespoons sugar, spice, and baking soda into remaining flour mixture, beating just until smooth. Beat in eggs. Transfer batter to pan. Scatter apples evenly over top. Sprinkle reserved topping over apples.
3) Bake cake: Transfer pan to oven and bake until topping is golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack 20 minutes. Run knife around pan sides to loosen cake. Release pan sides from cake. Transfer cake to platter. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.) Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream. Yield: 6 to 8 servings.








One Year Ago Today: Kheer - An Indian and Nepalese Rice Pudding















Two Years Ago Today: Butterscotch Pudding

35 comments :

scrambledhenfruit said...

Pumpkins AND apples- what a perfect fall combination! This looks wonderful. :)

Anonymous said...

I am crazy about cakes that have streusel on top.People always accuse me that I make to thick streusel.Great combination with pumpkin:)

Ginny Hartzler said...

I can almost smell it now!!

Vicki Bensinger said...

I think this came and your photo look incredible and the combination of apples and pumpkin sound wonderful. I was all ready to make it but your last paragraph makes it sound like you weren't too fond of this recipe. Would that be correct? I find it almost hard to believe with. Such a luscious list of ingredients.

Katarina said...

What a lovely cake! I would love to have a slice of this!

Lynn said...

It does look like it would be great with a cup of coffee:@)

JasmyneTea said...

You know, I think there's definitely a place for the slightly more ordinary recipes out there, and this sounds quite delicious!

Becki's Whole Life said...

That is the same thing that quickly caught my attention and admiration for this recipe. You don't see pumpkin and apples together very often - and why not? This sounds wonderful!

lena said...

although this may not be one of your favourite cakes, i still think it looks incredibly wonderful and with streusel, just love that! cananyone just place the ad down at the bottom of your post?

pam said...

Normally, I eat all the streusel off of coffee cakes and leave the cake! But I can tell with this one, I would eat the whole thing!

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

I am a pumpkin lover and on a kick this one gets added to my collection... I just love the thought of apples combined havent tried that one! nice job Mary!

Nisrine M. said...

Moist and delicious. I can't resist cakes like this one.

Kim said...

I really love this cake because it combines pumkin and apple. I bet it'S really good to! Have a nice sunday, Mary!

Cooking Gallery said...

I love apple streusel cake, but have never had it with pumpkin, sounds like a great idea :)!

Sue/the view from great island said...

I guess this would be perfect when you have a house full of people to eat it right up. My last apple cake got a bit goopy this next day, too

Vicki Bensinger said...

Hi Mary,
Thank you for posting a comment about this cake on my blog. I know what you're talking about. I made a beautiful cake a while back with wonderful ingredients and peoPle either loved it or hated it. There was no in between. I will check out the reviews as you mentioned on Epicurious. Thanks for the reply.

Judy said...

Oh man, this looks dense and chewy, I could almost taste it! Gotta make this one :)

Unknown said...

I like the combination too. I bought both today at the Kastamonu market so perhaps I'll make this! thanks!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I do like pumpkin and I do love apples so all of the flavour is tehre Mary. Perfect for brunch.

Top Cuisine avec Lavi said...

Thank you Mary for your comment on my blog! This looks wonderful! I would love to have a slice of this!

Diane said...

On my to do list except I will be using fresh pumpkin. Yum it looks delicious. Diane

Martha said...

looks delicious! Wish I'd have a piece with some afternoon tea :)

That Girl said...

Hmm this does entail a problem. How to consume an entire cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.

France@beyondthepeel said...

What a perfect cake for the upcoming holiday. It looks so moist!

Bams Kitchen said...

Mary, this pumpkin apple streusel coffee cake is one perfect bite! Start the coffee brewing!

Aldy said...

My-Oh-My...this looks incredible delicious, Mary! That slice is a piece of art :) Love it!

Hugs <3

Tanna said...

I love the idea of pumpkin AND apples!! Sounds delicious!

Also, that carrot and fennel soup has caught my attention. I have made your roasted fennel (with red pepper and onion) so many times this in the past few months, I am sure this one must be outstanding also!

Thank you so much, Mary. Hope you have a wonderful week. blessings ~ Tanna

Lori said...

I can't get enough of pumpkin. Such a great idea to pair it with the apple for a coffee cake. This will be great for a holiday brunch!

Gisela said...

That does sound like a great combo. I can't ever imagine too much streusel!

Joanne said...

I love bringing seasonal baked goods into work once a week and this is definitely going to be making the list! The combination of pumpkin and apple must be fabulous!

teresa said...

mmm, pumpkin and apple really are a match made in heaven, this looks just wonderful!

LV said...

What a great combination! This looks so yummy!

http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

Claudia said...

Your honest assessments always elicit a smile! Happily, I have no reputation to make. And the delight of combining pumpkin and apples is most welcome.

Christine knapkins_com said...

Hey Foodies, Mary's Coffee Cake recipe has been selected by Knapkins in our Recipe Guessing Game. Invite fans to play: http://knapkins.com/guess_games/715?source=blog

Sir Eatalot said...

This looks amazing! never thought of this combination. Pair this with a cup of coffee and call it a day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly