Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Old Salzburg Garlic Soup





From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This is the second of the two garlic soups I keep in my recipe arsenal. Both are creamy soups, but they achieve that smoothness in different ways. One uses sour cream, while the other uses a copious quantity of light cream to loosen the heavy base. Both are cooked in the same fashion as a good onion soup, where onions are first cooked in a covered pot until they collapse and give up liquid, and then browned until a beautiful golden slurry is formed. I must admit I like this recipe as much as the first and find it slightly easier to make. The recipe comes from the kitchens of the Hotel Schloss Fuschl on the outskirts of Salzburg, Austria. It sits on the banks of Lake Fuschl and it is actually a converted castle originally built as a hunting lodge and summer palace for the archbishops of Salzburg. The soup is delicious, but my active imagination would find it even more tasty sitting on the deck overlooking that gorgeous lake. The location and attendant ambiance would definitely enhance the flavor of the soup and quickly break the tie I spoke of. Those archbishops sure knew how to live, and while I can't match the ambiance they enjoyed, I can provide the soup. Here's the recipe.


Old Salzburg Garlic Soup...from thekitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of the Hotel Schloss Fuschl

Ingredients:

1-1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
1/2 cup chopped garlic
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
6 cups low-sodium beef broth
1 cup dry white wine or dry white vermouth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
Grated nutmeg, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
Croutons
Minced fresh parsley leaves, for garnish

Directions:

1) Combine onions and garlic in a large stock pot set over medium heat. Cook
slowly over medium heat until onions are golden brown. This can take 30 to 40 minutes. 2
2) Add 1/2 cup flour and cook mixture, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes. Add stock, wine, and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer about 20 minutes.
3) Strain mixture through a fine sieve into another pot. Stir in sour cream and freshly grated nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.
4) Ladle into bowls and garnish with toasted croutons and parsley. Yield: 4 to 5 servings.







One Year Ago Today: Sun-Dried Tomato Soup















Two Years Ago Today: Chinese Donut Sticks - You Tiou (Oil Fried Ghosts)

30 comments :

MissB said...

Hummmm love the taste of garlic in dishes! Lovelly!

You have to see the movie Mary :) it's so much fun! ^^

Kisses*

Pondside said...

I haven't had a good garlic soup in a restaurant since we lived in Germany. This one will get a try!

Ginny Hartzler said...

What lovely atmosphere for this delicious looking soup!

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

I would totally love this Mary!

spiky said...

visiting a fellow food blogger. very nice blog - plain and simple yet so full. :)

Priya Suresh said...

Wow wat a great looking super flavourful soup.

Tanya - Three Square Meals said...

I bet this soup is creamy with a hint of garlic sweetness. Can't wait to try it.

archi said...

A very satisfying sounding recipe. Great balance of flavours. I love your style and am going to learn from this..

Unknown said...

I did not realize until just this past year how much I love creamy garlic soups. They tend to have even a bit of a sweet flavor if done right. This one looks just as good as the last one!!

Linda said...

I'm so craving garlic soup now! This is a lovely recipe!

The Blonde Duck said...

Looks great!

Big Dude said...

As a fan of garlic, this sounds sooo good and I'd like a bowl sitting there by the lake as well.

annie@mostlovelythings said...

This soup looks delicious and reading the recipe...I can see why. I love a few croutons on soup. Looks like a place I would love to visit.
annie

SKIP TO MALOU said...

soup??? garlic??? creamy??? wow toatlly my kind of soup! Perfect for this grey weather here in STL.

Chelsea said...

Oooh how I love garlic! And such gorgeous photos!

Becka (The Elegant Eggplant) said...

This looks fantastic! I dont think I have ever had garlic soup.. yum!!

igloo cooking said...

que sopa mĂ¡s rica y apetecible Mary, como sabes en España somos totalmente amantes del ajo, asĂ­ que tomo buena nota! Besitos

Claudia said...

Oh to be in Salzburg with the soup...both are heaven on earth.

Pam said...

Mary, your soup looks delicious and would be perfect for a cold day like today. I've never heard of garlic soup and have to try it. Thanks for the recipe. Hugs

From the Kitchen said...

Garlic soup by the lake would be my first choice. In a comfortable chair by the fireplace, my second.

Best,
Bonnie

Catherine said...

Dear Mary, I just love this soup. I love anything garlic!! What a beautiful picture. How nice to sit by that lake and have a good bowl of piping hot garlic soup. Blessings my friend, Catherine xo

tender b. said...

I love your soups.

Joanne said...

I've only ever had completely non-creamy garlic soup, so this is a need-to-try!

Melinda said...

Great for a cold winter day!
Hope you are doing well.

Melinda

Stephanie said...

This looks fabulous. I will definitely be giving this a try.

Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane said...

How I would love to be sitting on that deck overlooking Lake Fuschl! This soup must have been delicious there, I hope i can recreate it at home!

Home Skillet Cooking said...

Oh this sounds delicious!

Calogero said...

I was in Salzburg as an Erasmus student and I am alway happy to "be" there again... And where were these photos shot?

Sharon Koenig said...

This sounds great! Looks like it only deviates just a bit from your other Cream of Garlic Soup. I have yet to try that one too. :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

Sharon, the recipes are quite different from each other. They do have onions and garlic in common, but that's it. I hope you have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly