Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Rum-Raisin Tea Biscuits



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I can't quite see myself serving these for breakfast, but I have no aversion to putting them on a brunch or tea table. They are delicious and a perfect example of Nancy Silverton's ability to make ordinary food extraordinary. These biscuits contain orange and rum soaked raisins that make others pale in comparison. Save for the drunken raisins, the recipe is like most others for scones or tea biscuits. It is straight forward and if you follow the recipe you are guaranteed success. You can, of course, swap cranberries for raisins and experiment with orange liqueur. I make these often, and, while I do experiment, I always go back to the original ingredients. If you use a 2-1/4 inch biscuit cutter you will be able to get a dozen biscuits from the recipe. I do hope you will try these. They are wonderful to serve with afternoon tea and distinctive enough to be memorable. Here's the recipe.

Rum Raisin Tea Biscuits
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Nancy Silverton

Ingredients:
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup rum
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup raisins
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon coarse salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter,
cut into 8 pieces
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
Milk
5 teaspoons sugar

Directions:

1) Combine orange juice, rum, vanilla and raisins in a small bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes while preparing biscuits.
2) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
3) Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse to combine. Add butter and process until mixture looks like coarse meal.
4) Drain liquid from raisins reserving 1/3 cup. Combine reserved liquid with buttermilk and add to flour mixture in food processor, then add raisins and orange zest. Pulse just to dampen dry ingredients. Dough will be sticky.
5) Remove dough from bowl and knead 10 times on a well-floured surface. Pat into an 8-inch round, 1/2 inch thick. Cut 8 biscuits with a floured 2 1/2-inch cutter. Fold scraps together and cut 2 more biscuits. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet, 1 inch apart. Brush tops with milk and sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
6) Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until tops are lightly browned. Yield: 10 biscuits.







One Year Ago Today: Minced Chicken with Oyster Sauce















Two Years Ago Today: Roasted Garbanzo Beans with Cajun Spice

34 comments :

Unknown said...

Hy Mary this cookies looks delicious blessing simmy

sangeeta said...

I am going to make them very very soon. Thank you.

Pondside said...

We love tea biscuits, but mostly hot, with butter and molasses - a Cape Breton treat.
These new ones sound a bit scone-like. I will have to give them a try on a Saturday afternoon.

SH -ic said...

happy new year and thanks for all your posting from 2011..
now again a wonderfull recipie .. I m going to make them soon ..

Lynn said...

Love the pretty color, I'll try these one day for coffee with Ma:@)

Priya Suresh said...

Marvellous biscuits..

Rachana said...

Those cookies look so delicious.

Have a happy 2012. Mary :-)

Su m said...

And they must be amazing with a cup of hot tea or chocolat... and how beatifull they look Mary :D

Tanna said...

I would love to sit and enjoy these while having a nice long afternoon visit over a hot cup of tea. {sigh} blessings ~ tanna

Unknown said...

Mmmmm... slather some butter on those when they are nice and warm and I'd eat at least half a dozen :)

The Blonde Duck said...

Everyone needs biscuits with tea!

Lora said...

These look just lovely. Very elegant for a tea. Happy New Year!

Arlene Delloro said...

I know I would love these, so I'm pinning them for future use (after a few holiday pounds "lose me").

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

They do sound amazing Mary and duly bookmarked!

What's Baking?? said...

Looks great. They look so delicious that I could almost smell the freshly baked cookies.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I am excited about trying these, Mary! I'll let you know when I do :)

Joy Tilton said...

Hi Mary, so glad to hear from you this morning! Another year under our belt, they are going faster. These sound perfect, love rum raisins!

Leslie said...

Mmmm. I love the idea of the run soaked raisins!!!

Kim said...

I agree with you. I would'nt serve these for breakfast, but for a brunch, it's perfect. These looks really fantastic!

Flavia Galasso said...

Dear Mary I find these Tea biscuit perfect and really good.... I wish you a very happy wonderful new year , blessings, Flavia

Pam said...

The biscuits look and sound wonderful!

Mila said...

Mary as always your recipe looks delish...if only I was still eating sweets :(

From the Kitchen said...

These do look like a perfect accompaniment to tea.

Hope you have a delicious day!

Best,
Bonnie

Rita said...

I envy the look of these biscuits; moine NEVER look like these; maybe I should get myself one of those cookie cutter.
Rita

Allie said...

Sounds delicious! Happy New Year's Mary! I wish you a all this best this coming year!

Bites from life with the barking lot said...

I gasped when I saw these...hungry for some right now. thank you! They will be a lovely gift to put in dishes I need to return to friends.

Claudia said...

They are just the loveliest little mid-afternoon teases - when you want a few bites but not any more.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

My husband just brought me a cup of tea ... but alas, no rum-raisin tea biscuit.

Fondly,
Glenda

Joanne said...

Definitely not hearty enough for breakfast, but I kind of want to have a tea party now just so I can make them!

Catherine said...

Dear Mary, I just love tea biscuits! I like the rum raisin flavor. Blessings for a beautiful day, Catherine xo

Anonymous said...

these look delicous and so different, they sound very decadent, lots of butter!

Cloudia said...

yum



Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

><}}(°>

~ Inco said...

Mmmh... They're so perfect and of course very yummy!
If you want go in my blog...!

JG said...

These biscuits with Craisins would be so nice! I have the buttermilk, so I'm bookmarking it. :)
~Judy

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly