Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Oven Baked Parmesan Steak Fries



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...French fries have become a sometime thing for the Silver Fox and me. When we have a yen, there's an old bar and grill in town that makes fries that could set the standard for any steak house in the country. The place is shabby and it reeks of stale beer, but the potatoes they serve are Lucullean and worth the caloric splurge and descent to the dark side. The fries I make at home are oven baked and, while they are good, I've never been able to convince myself that they are as good as the real thing. It's a given that they are better for us, so when I need something to accompany burgers or steaks, these are the steak fries that I serve. If you are looking for a healthier alternative to deep fried potatoes I really think you'll like these. They are simple to make and very tasty. Given the variance with oven temperatures, you'll want to watch these carefully as they near the end of their baking period. It's best to view the time listed in the recipe as a suggestion rather than fiat. Here's the recipe.


Oven Baked Parmesan Steak Fries
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
5 Idaho potatoes
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
1) Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place two baking sheets in oven to heat.
2) Peel potatoes and cut each potato into 8 wedges. Place wedges into a bowl of cold water and let them sit for 10 minutes. Pour off water, then cover again with cold water. This is to prevent oxidation and help keep the potatoes crisp. Drain potatoes and pat them completely dry with paper toweling. Place them into a large bowl with olive oil, salt and black pepper. Toss well, making sure to cover all surfaces of the potatoes.
3) Remove baking sheets from oven and quickly spread potatoes on them in a single layer. Remember to protect hands and fingers from burns. Return to oven and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, turning once, until potatoes are golden brown. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and continue baking until the cheese has melted and caramelized, about 5 to 7 minutes longer. Remove from oven, let sit for 2 minutes, then serve. Yield: 6 servings.








One Year Ago Today: Dark Chocolate Shortbread















Two Years Ago Today: Eggplant Parmesan

47 comments :

Unknown said...

Hi Mary! We love steak fries. I love them crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. These look delicious and I love that they are baked.

Pondside said...

We haven't had a chip for ages (well, I might have had ONE from the side of a friend's plate...) I'm sending this to my husband's computer with the subject line 'hint'. Steak and chips would be a great Friday night meal!

Katarina said...

I like it, when you have used parmesan. It gives a nice flavor!

Lynn said...

These look great Mary, even this early in the morning! I've been working on a post for making them in my cast iron skillet, hopefully I'll have that up soon:@)

Skye (Skye Loves...) said...

Absolutely love the fries and cheese combination. Such a classic treat. Have you thought of drizzling a touch of truffle oil on top as well? I think that it would be really, really yummy...

Diane said...

I love the sound of these. I have a deep fryer and it is so easy that I have never used the oven for chips. I must give it a try. Diane

Rita said...

I know these will be so crispy good; thank you for sharing this one.Pinning this one.
Rita

Unknown said...

These sound mouth wateringly delicious, and they're baked instead of fried! Tatsy and healthy; you can't go wrong!

Tanna said...

These looks particularly yummy with the parmesan!! Though not quite the same as the little pub's fries, I think you have come up with a wonderful alternative!! ;) blessings ~ tanna

safire said...

These look delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

Barbara said...

Those look easy to make and packed with flavor, Mary!

kitchen flavours said...

These looks delicious! We love potatoes, everyone would rush for them first! I know my family would love this version! Thanks for sharing~!

Kim said...

I really love this kind of fries. I make some that are really similar to yours. You should try with smoked paprika one day, it's addictive!

Eliana said...

Love that these are baked. So I don/t have to feel guilty eating an entire batch.

StephenC said...

I know from experience what an excellent method this is for baked fries. We originally learned the technique from America's Test Kitchen. It's good that you are sharing it widely.

Priya Suresh said...

Wow wish to have some rite now;yummy fries..

Unknown said...

Next to mac and cheese and chocolate, fries are my biggest weakness!! I oven bake them at home all the time, and you are right, they just aren't the same as fried ones no matter how much I try to convince myself they are!! Love adding parmesan too them.. yours look perfect!

The Blonde Duck said...

Love French fries!

What's Baking?? said...

I shall try this recipe soon. I love fries. Have a great day, Mary.

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

I never turn down a good french fry. Yours look amazing!

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

We do not do deep fried in our home anymore either, Mary. My Rob does "hit up" a fry stand on occasion when he has his moments. I hope it is "Okay" I have shared your method with my recipe exchange, as I am sure some of the members would enjoy? Grey overcast day here today. Good day for you, Mary.

Claudia said...

I only bake my fries and absolutely go for the full-fat version when out. If you cook something with Parmesan, I will come. I will do this.

MissB said...

Absolutely love the fries and cheese combination... delicious!
Kisses Mary :*

Debra Daniels-Zeller said...

Just the recipe I was looking for. Love the simplicity of basic fries.

Merisi said...

Those fries look so tempting! I'll have to add Parmesan next time I attempt to make baked fries.

Btw, I made your Scandinavian Shrimp salad again today! So delicious, even though I use yogurt instead of mayonnaise.

David said...

Mary, These parmesan 'fried' potatoes sound terrific. What's taken away by not frying them is supplemented by the addition of a nice coating of parmesan cheese. Nice recipe...Thanks! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Adele - The Dutch Door Kitchen said...

I love these! I will definitely be trying these very soon!

Jo-Lyn's Cup Cakes N' Candies said...

These look really good, thnx!!

Sofia.Lopez said...

They look amazinhg Mary, just like i love them...and the parmesan it's a excelent partner ;) I must try them...
Beijinhos
Have a nice day Mary! :)

Unknown said...

Mary, these look delish!
I am thinking the gang will love these for the "BIG GAME"

Big Dude said...

They sound delicious and thanks for the potato soaking tip.

Unknown said...

just like we do these patatoes are delicacy

Marina@cowboycountryvegetarian said...

Oooooh, those fries are so delicious! What an interesting recipe, and simple too. Works for me! Thanks for visiting my blog.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I literally cannot WAIT to try these!!! I never do the cold water thing, maybe that will make them even better! Just finished printing it...

Sara @ Saucy Dipper said...

Oh, how I love me some steak fries. One of my favorite foods...especially when dipped in sauce.

Joanne said...

so there IS truth to the idea that parmesan makes everything better!

JG said...

These must taste great with the Parmesan Cheese!
~Judy

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Oh yum, Mary! What could be better than black pepper & Parmesan on fries??!!

The Harried Cook said...

Crispy, cheesy, starchy fries! The best kind! They are picture perfect... Gorgeous post, Mary!

tender b. said...

Steak Fries are the greatest side dish I know.

painter said...

Mmmm, I love steak fries!!!
And yours, looks delicious!

Have a good day...

Virginia Belle said...

Hello Mary,
I just can't wait to try these with my father's famous (in our household) ribs! This grilling season is looking up with new sides to try such as these delicious looking fries! Thanks for sharing.
God bless,
Virginia Belle

Mary Bergfeld said...

Charlotte, welcome to One Perfect Bite. I just wanted you to know how happy I am you joined us. Come often! Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Sharon Koenig said...

I love steak fries! They sound even better with Parmesan cheese.
Also like what Jacquelyn said, Steak fries are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, just right. I don't really like shoestring all that much because they tend to be crispy inside and out most of the time.

Alysha said...

Remarkable Post!Keep up the good work.This is a perfect picture and sounds so good that I am ready to try it! This perfect for me!
http://all4payday.com

Eileen said...

As a lover of both language and food, I am enamored with your blog. Not only do you offer delicious and varied recipes, but you drop words like Lucullean with the utmost ease. Thank you.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Eileen, thank you so much for the compliment.Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly