Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Irish Celery and Apple Soup



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...
Margaret Johnson is an Irish-American writer who is a recognized authority on Irish food and drink. This passionate cook holds dual citizenship in the US and Ireland and has authored five cookbooks that explore the customs and cuisine of the Emerald Isle. Today's recipe, an adaption of an old Irish favorite, is her creation, and color alone makes it worthy of consideration for a St. Patrick's Day celebration. Fortunately, it has more than color going for it. If you enjoy the taste of celery, you will love this uniquely flavored soup that is made more interesting with help from apples that add a slightly sour aspect to the soup. The combination works well, and while I can't recommend serving this in large portions, it makes an ideal first course. I served it last weekend with an Italian-type meal that included Arista and I was really pleased at the way all the flavors came together. This is a fast, easy and inexpensive soup that is also mercifully low in calories. It can be made well-ahead of serving, though its color darkens slightly as it sits. I know those of you who are adventuresome will enjoy this palate brightener. Here's the recipe for this truly simple starter.

Irish Celery and Apple Soup...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Margaret Johnson

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 bunch celery, chopped
5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
6 cups homemade chicken stock, or canned low-salt chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup light cream or half-and-half
2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley

Directions:

1) Melt butter in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add celery and apples and cook another 5 minutes. Add stock or broth, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 10 to15 minutes.
2) Transfer solids to a blender or processor and working in batches, process until smooth (I used an immersion blender for this task). Return to same saucepan and season with salt and pepper. Whisk in cream. Heat through over low heat. To serve, ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 10 to 12 one cup servings.








One Year Ago Today: A Formula for Turkey Meatloaf















Two Years Ago Today: Cranberry Cocktail

24 comments :

Rumana Rawat said...

Hi Mary,
I like the unique combination of ingredients in this soup. Definitely i am going to try this very soon. Thanks for nice comment on my space!!

regards
Rumana

Alessandra said...

I never heard of this Irish soup, what an interesting combo, almost like a salad :-).

Ciao
Alessandra

dr.antony said...

looks so tempting! after so long,it is a good start for me.
best of regards

Ricette&Vignette said...

Mary, your soup is amazing, healthy and tasty!! I love celery, and before they go out of season I will try your recipe. And I love granny smith apples too for their sour taste... thanks for sharing and have a nice day! Ciao , Francy

Unknown said...

Such a simple, lovely soup - I love your photo, so pretty!It seems like a soup that would be in season any time of the year.

Diane said...

This sounds amazing, time to dig up another celery plant :-) Diane

Kim said...

I'm surprised, there is a lot of apples in this soup. Althought, it looks really good!

Martha said...

the color is lovely. I'm thinking my Mom would enjoy this flavor.~Blessings~

The Blonde Duck said...

What a cool combo!

Unknown said...

It is a gorgeous green.. perfect for St. Patty's day!
Celery and apple seem like a unique combination for sure. I bet it tastes really good.

City Share said...

I am intrigued. I like celery and apple together in chicken salad, so I'm sure I'd like it in a soup too.

Tanna said...

Sounds very interesting!! I do enjoy a little something unusual on the table. Thank you, Mary! blessings ~ tanna

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This oa a new soup to me. I love how it is so festive.

SImple and Serene Living said...

What an interesting combination. I will definitely bookmark this one :)

Rita said...

I can almost taste the goodness; very original!
Rita

painter said...

Your dishes look so tastefull!!!
Very beautifull pictures...

Have a good day!

grubarazzi said...

Oh wow. The color of this soup is amazing. I would really love to try this. I will let you know how it turns out!

Dining Alone said...

Perfect for St. Patties day!

Shug said...

Yummy....celery and apples! great combination! I know this one is GOOD
Shug

The Harried Cook said...

This is a very new flavor combination for me - at least in soup! It sounds really interesting... I am going to try this! Thanks, Mary!

Lyndas recipe box said...

This soup sounds so different, but I love that color. Thanks for sharing Mary.

France@beyondthepeel said...

I love the idea of these 2 flavors together and the cream to bring in the richness. Lovely idea.

Simply Beautiful Now said...

That sounds like a fantastic combination of flavours. Thanks for visiting my blog...it's so lovely to discover YOUR beautiful blog.

Unknown said...

Could you used coconut milk in place of the cream?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly