Friday, April 6, 2012

Pink Popcorn




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I came across this pink confection at a luncheon that was hosted by a church youth group. I thought it would make a perfect feature for Pink Saturday and might be something that anyone planning a shower or spring luncheon might want to consider. I must warn you that is more like a candy than Kettle Corn and will satisfy the cravings of even the most ravenous sweet tooth. The group that prepared this treat had a limited budget, so they used standard popcorn to make it. I'd recommend that you splurge and buy gourmet, large kernel, popcorn if you think this recipe is something you might want to try. Those with dentures and braces will appreciate your special effort. While this version of popcorn is very easy to make, you'll need a candy thermometer to gauge the readiness of the syrup used to color and flavor it. It can be made a day before serving, but the flavor is best if the corn is served shortly after it is made. This is not a treat for the sugar shy, but those with a fondness for sweets will love it. Here's the recipe.

Pink Popcorn...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Nan's Recipe Spot

Ingredients:
6 quarts popped popcorn (3/4 cup kernels)
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup half & half, cream or whole milk
1 tablespoon white corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 drops red food coloring

Directions:
Place sugar, cream, corn syrup and salt in saucepan on a medium heat. Stir well and cook until sugar has fully dissolved before allowing mixture to boil.. Continue to cook stirring occasionally until reaching 230 degrees or slightly soft ball stage. Add vanilla and food coloring. Mix well. Pour over 6 quarts of popcorn and stir until well coated. Spread out on flat surface to let dry and cool. Yield: 6 quarts.







One Year Ago Today: Portuguese White Cornmeal Bread

















Two Years Ago Today: Chocolate Flans


24 comments :

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

awww this pink popcorn looks so cute. This would be so fun to have for a movie night with my besties.

Tanna said...

Such a beautiful pink!! I have a friend who would LOVE this! Thank you, Mary!! blessings ~ tanna

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I love all kinds of popcorn.

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is SO cool! And there is a full pink moon tonight, so you must have known!

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

Very Pretty HAPPY EASTER!

Shug said...

Beautiful Pink popcorn! I recently attended a Zumba class that was being held as a benefit for Breast Cancer...They had Pink popcorn for all of us to take home...Very neat!
Have a blessed Easter weekend.

Katarina said...

These are so cute! Have a great day Mary!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oh fun! I love a candied popcorn, and this is so neat!

Thank you - will definately try it!

Happy Pink Saturday!

My Little Space said...

Love the pink! At first I thought you're using the pink decoration sugar. Hmmm...bet your grandkids going to love this. :o)
Kristy

Lynn said...

How fun! No doubt the kids ate it right up! Happy Easter Mary:@)

Pari Vasisht said...

Such adorable and cute looking popcorn.
Join me in..

APRIL EVENT, ‘ONLY’- SNACKS & STARTERS + COOKBOOK GIVEAWAY
FOODELICIOUS

Jackie McGuinness said...

I love popcorn when I go to the movies, but hate the smell of microwave popcorn at home.
Just dropping by from Pink Saturday to visit.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This reminds me of my childhood and pink popcorn from a box.

Izzy V. said...

What a cute idea! I'm totally making this for my two little sisters- but I'll have to make one pink batch and one blue batch- their two favourite colours :) I love your blog, thanks for sharing!

NanE said...

Happy PINK Saturday! What a fun idea. I've seen a couple ideas like this on Pinterest but not PINK! By the way, I'm going to check out your Pin boards too. Have a wonderful weekend, Nan

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Very nice, Mary. I'll have to remember to tint my next batch a pretty color like this.

:)
ButterYum

J.Rylie.C said...

So pretty!

Hope you'd come and see my Easter craft, you can link too if you like at my meme. Happy Easter.

Sue/the view from great island said...

This is so fun, I've never seen anything like it---perfect for an Easter gathering.

Veronica Miller said...

The first thing I thought of when I saw this was "baby shower!" Perhaps treat bags for people to take home. And it could be turned blue for a boy. I'm saving this!

paintedlady89 said...

Yummy!
Hugs,
Gigi

Joanne said...

This popcorn would be such a treat to eat! Love the color.

Robyn said...

looks so yummy - perfect pink color too! Hope to try it some time this week while the kids are on spring break!

Beverly said...

Happy very belated Pink Saturday, Mary. I apologize that it took me so long to get here, but I finally made it.

And, this pink popcorn is darling. I am definitely going to share this link with my neighbor. Her very pink little granddaughter has a birthday party coming very soon.

Cindy said...

We love popcorn--and I have some beautiful 'mushroom popcorn to use. I'll make it for my kids tonight. Thanks Mary.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly