Thursday, May 3, 2012

Chicken Tinga





From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This really was a unexpected treat. I don't do a lot of Mexican cooking, but I wanted to try at least one new dish for Cinco de Mayo. I had seen this recipe in Food and Wine Magazine and clipped it because it sounded so easy to make. As it turned out, it was that and more. I hadn't counted on how delicious this dish would be. Tinga is made with shredded chicken and onions that are simmered in a thick chipotle sauce that gives the dish its pleasant heat and smoky flavor. Shredded beef and pork can also be used to make tinga. While it takes a couple of hours for the chicken to cook, once it is browned and the sauce is assembled, the oven does the work. This dish, by the way, can easily be adapted for cooking in a crock-pot. Tinga is usually served with tortillas or crispy tostadas. I broke the rules a bit and served ours over rice. Jenn Louis, who developed the recipe, suggests topping the tinga with Cotija cheese, scallions and cilantro. Mexican crema would be a lovely addition. I really liked this dish and recommend it to you without reservation. I do hope you'll give it a try. Here's the recipe.

Chicken Tinga...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Jenn Louis

Ingredients:
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 1/2 pounds trimmed, skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large onion, thinly sliced
3 large garlic cloves, minced
One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 canned chipotles in adobo, coarsely chopped
1 cup chicken broth

Directions:
1) Heat 3 tablespoons of  olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. Season  chicken all over with salt and pepper, add it to skillet and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned, about 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and pour off the fat in the skillet.
2)  Add  remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil to  skillet. Sir in onions and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until  lightly browned and softened,  about 5 minutes. Add  garlic and cook  until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add  tomatoes and their juices,  chipotles and broth and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened and slightly reduced,  about 20 minutes.
3) Preheat  oven to 350 degrees F.  Let sauce cool for about 15 minutes, then transfer it to a food processor.  Puree until smooth and season with salt and pepper. Pour  sauce over the chicken. Bake  chicken, uncovered, in  center of  oven for about 45 minutes,  or until  meat is tender and the sauce is very thick and darkened around the edges. Remove  chicken from  sauce and shred  meat, discarding bones.  Return  chicken meat to  sauce. Serve warm with tortillas,  tostadas or  rice. Yield : 4 to 6 servings.

Cook's Note: The tinga can be refrigerated for up to 3 days and reheated gently.







One Year Ago Today: Spaghetti with Shaved Asparagus, Brown Butter and Toasted Walnuts















Two Years Ago Today: Chocolate-Hazelnut Track Bread
















Three Years Ago Today: Chocolate Yeast Bread

21 comments :

Rita said...

This looks so so good that I can almost taste the goodness.I know this will be the Perfect Bite.
Rita

Lynn said...

This sounds great! I have some pork left over, think I might add everything to the slow cooker and give it a try:@)

Veronica Miller said...

I love it when recipes turn out better than expected! I might try this with beef as I just bought a big roast and have cojita cheese in the fridge. Great timing!

Kim said...

It really looks simple and easy, I like it!!!!

Unknown said...

I don't cook a ton of Mexican food either. When I see a dish like this, though, I sure do crave Mexican food. Love the use of chipotles here!

What's Baking?? said...

Looks amazingly delicious, Mary.

StephenC said...

Nice work, Chris. Did you ever think of making a bloody Mary with chipotle and adobo? I'm thinking about it right now.

SImple and Serene Living said...

I bet this is delicious :)

Unknown said...

Hello Mary - yet again a wonderful recipe but it is full of things that I have never heard of. You have to put up with readers like me: sorry Mexican just doesn't feature in Turkish cuisine!!! What is chipotle, for goodness sake???

From the Kitchen said...

I don't do much Mexican cooking either but am planning to prepare a dish on Saturday. This might be the one. I like that it can be prepared ahead of time.

Best,
Bonnie

Annie said...

It is a simple but delicious Mexican dish. I like it.

Catherine said...

Dear Mary, This does sound easy to prepare and delicious. I know I would enjoy it. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

Rosita Vargas said...

Un plato sencillo y delicioso me encanta la comida mexicana,abrazos hugs,hugs.

Shug said...

We have more Mexican food restaurants
than you could ever imagine around her...and I must admit, we eat this kind of food a whole lot...
I'm not sure I have ever seen a recipe like this before at any of our local MR. This sure sounds good...
hugs

David said...

Mary, This sounds and looks like a terrific Mexican meal. Lots of spice and distinctive flavors! Thanks for the recipe... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Jeanette said...

I've pinned this to my board of foods my kids would love to try - they love anything in a tortilla, but this sauce sounds really good.

Jennifer Kendall said...

oh wow that looks like a delicious meal! so full of wonderful flavors!

France@beyondthepeel said...

My husband would be a very happy boy if I made this for him tonight! I love the chilis in adobo. Such great flavor.

Jane said...

This sounds so good! I'm kinda late .. but Happy Cinco de Maya! :)

yellowfish said...

Wow, this looks really delicious!

Aida said...

This is very delicious, I am a Mexican cook and something is missing, a few more onions it is a kilo meat for 1/2 kilo onions and if you really want the Mexican taste, I do adjust the flavor with a few bay leaves and some thyme and little amount of oregano. 5 min before it's finished cooking.
And that's it enjoy !

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly