Sunday, May 20, 2012

Orange Blossom Sheet Cake





From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I love to make this cake when I have a gang to feed. It is not difficult to prepare and the recipe produces a light, moist cake that is mildly orange flavored and quite refreshing. It works well for a morning coffee or an afternoon tea. I really like cakes that are citrus flavored and this recipe can do double duty. If you prefer lemon flavored desserts, feel free to substitute lemon yogurt, zest and extract for the orange ingredients called for in this recipe. I use a 11 x 15 x 2-inch pan to bake this cake because I like the height it produces and it allows me to feed about 30 people. If you use a larger or smaller pan, cooking time becomes variable and you'll have to monitor the cake as it bakes. I frost the cake while it's in the pan, but it can be turned out it you want a more classic presentation. I've also found I can get neater slices if the cake is cold when it is cut. I hope you will try this recipe.I know that those of you who do, will not be disappointed. Here's how the cake is made.

Orange Blossom Sheet Cake...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by Family Circle magazine

Ingredients:

Cake
3-1/2 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1-3/4 cups sugar
4 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup orange juice
1 6 ounce container blood orange or other orange-flavored yogurt
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Frosting
1/2 cup (1 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1 pound box confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon orange extract

Directions:
1) Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour an 11 x 15 x 2-inch baking pan.
2) Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda together in a large bowl. Set aside.
3) In a second large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Add sugar and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
4) In a medium-size bowl, mix together milk, juice, yogurt, zest and vanilla.
5) With mixer on low speed, beat flour mixture into butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with orange juice mixture. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape batter into prepared pan.
6) Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake come out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack.
7) While cake is cooling, beat butter in a large bowl until fluffy, about 1 minute. Add confectioners sugar, orange juice, milk and extracts. Beat on low speed for about 2 minutes until blended, smooth and of spreading consistency. If it is too stiff to spread, thin with an additional milk.
8) When cake is at room temperature, spread top with frosting. Yield: 25 to 30 servings.









One Year Ago Today: Roasted Strawberries and Cream Cheese Cake













Two Years Ago Today: Strawberry Tea Bread


















Three Years Ago Today: Circassian Chicken - Cerkez Tavugu

36 comments :

Unknown said...

very nice cake delicious blessing simmy

Alessandra said...

It sounds really lovely Mary! What is cake flour? Is it just plain flour (oppose to stronger flour for bread) or is it a special mixture for cakes?

Ciao
Alessandra

Coleens Recipes said...

I'm tucking this recipe away for our summer family gatherings...it will be perfect, thanks for sharing (I've never even HEARD of blood orange yogurt!!)

Lynn said...

Sounds like a great cake! I've just started making sheet cakes and do like them:@)

A Paixão da Isa said...

humm mas que bom e esta mt bonito adoro tudo que leva limao bjs b.d

Tracy's Living Cookbook said...

Looks very moist! Interesting that it has orange yogurt in it - good ingredient! Have a lovely Sunday!

Ailyn said...

Very nice and tasty cake....how can i substitute the orange yogurt? have a nice sunday

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Cute tablecloth, Mary.

Kim said...

I took like this kind of cake. It looks so moist and so tasty with all of these oranges flavors!

Becki's Whole Life said...

Citrus flavored desserts are a favorite of mine, too, and buttercream tastes so yummy with citrus flavoring! This is a great sheet cake, Mary...I like to make these for birthdays at work since it feeds a crowd.

Janine said...

I love sheet cakes because they bake easily and coincidentally, i just bought orange blossom essence - perfect to try this with!

Erica said...

I love citrus desserts,Mary! your cake looks moist and delicious!

From the Kitchen said...

This looks like a perfect addition to an afternoon tea. I have a plan to do one for friends this summer and will tuck the recipe away for then.

Best,
Bonnie

What's Baking?? said...

Looks heavenly tangy. I would enjoy a piece or two!

Shug said...

The cake looks so inviting, especially against that orange plate. I am always needing a recipe like this. I have lots of kids in and out. Have a great Sunday

Nash Nordin said...

Oh! Pretty cake!! I love the flower on top.

Taylor said...

Wow...this looks like the perfect summer dessert!

Gerlinde in Washington said...

This cake looks lovely. I most certainly will give it a try as I'm always looking for a good moist cake recipe!

Judy@SavoringToday said...

Love the refreshing flavors of citrus cakes. This looks light, moist, and delicious -- perfect for a summer evening barbecue.

Dining Alone said...

it is going to be 102 here today and a light citrus cake would be delicious!

Unknown said...

The picture of this cake is just fabulous, Mary. Do you take your own pics? The cake itself looks perfect in every way - super recipe, super execution!

Diane said...

Now I could just do with a slice of that right now....
Thanks so much for you kind thoughts and condolences, much appreciated. Diane

Kit @ i-lostinausten said...

These cake is lovely! My mother in law love orange blossom & I think I'll make this for mother day on the 3rd June. Thanks for sharing, dear Mary! Have a nice day! :)

tender b. said...

I have yet to use blood oranges but every time I watch Dexter I swear I will. This cake is my ticket.

Tanna said...

That is such a beautiful slice of cake! And, sounds so light and refreshing.... yum. blessings ~ tanna

pam said...

I love light cakes like this!

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

We are the biggest Dexter fans on the planet..... love the blood orange... great post!

Claudia said...

I've never made a sheet cake but this light orange-flavor just has me mesmerized. Perfect for a crowd. My husband's family - is a crowd!

Ginny Hartzler said...

This looks light and beautiful!!! I bet it smells divine.

Joanne said...

Light citrusy cakes seem ideal for summer and hot weather!

Chelsea said...

I've never made sheet cake, and this looks like an excellent place to start! This sounds perfect for summer.

Chiara said...

Looks delicious and very moist Mary! have a good day, blessings....

Giovanni, Peccato di Gola said...

really great to see this cake! it looks like very taste :-) i'll put it into my preferences! have a nice day! :-*

Veronica Miller said...

I'm a cake girl so although most people would prefer I make fruit pies in summer, I usually go for more summery cakes like this that can be served cold. I love it and hope to try it before fall hits!

The Harried Cook said...

I love the flavors in this cake, Mary! It looks delicious! I love sheet cakes - with or without frosting! Thank you for sharing this :) I've missed out on a lot of your posts while I haven't been blogging actively, but I am back now and heading off to catch up on your posts :)

Jeanne said...

I've had this recipe (attained from your blogspot)stuck to my fridge for several months now. Today, I was finally able to make it. I trimmed the tops off (I baked it in 2,6x6 square pans)and thoroughly enjoyed them both. BTW, it was enough for 2-6x6 square pans and 9 generously filled standard cupcake liners (which will be sent to my mother and sister). I've not made the buttercream. I may just spread a glaze over it and call it done. I greatly appreciate you sharing this recipe!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly