Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Spiced Meatballs in Sherry Wine Sauce




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...We had meatballs for dinner this evening. We've been entertaining a young neighbor and he stayed with us through supper tonight. He is a notoriously poor eater, and while I don't fret about food when he visits, I have been known to follow the path of least resistance when I cook for him. I cheat a bit and only make things I know he will eat, so, dishes like tonight's "Viking" meatballs usually appear on the table when he is here. Meatballs are standard fare in Scandinavia, and while this version contains sherry and is spiced a bit differently than most, the Vikings would have loved to down these between rounds of mead or ale. I like them because they are easy to prepare and make a great family supper. The meat mixture used here is very loose and it helps to use wet hands when shaping it. I also like to strain the pan gravy before I spoon it over the meatballs. While my personal preference will always be good old-fashioned Swedish meatballs, these are a really nice alternative and I think you will like them. The sauce is mildly sweet and sherry flavored but neither the sugar nor the wine overpower the brown sauce in which the meatballs cook. I like to serve these with noodles, but rice or mashed potatoes also work well. I hope you will give these a try. Here's the recipe.

Spiced Meatballs in Sherry Wine Sauce ...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
1 large clove garlic
2 small onions
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 pound lean ground pork
1/2 pound lean ground beef
1/2cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 large eggs,lightly beaten
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons dry sherry, divided use
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon instant blend flour (i.e. Wondra)

Directions:
1) Pulse onions, garlic and parsley is a small food processor until they form a paste. Scrape into a large mixing bowl.
2) Add pork, beef, bread crumbs, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, salt, pepper, eggs and 2 tablespoons sherry to herb mixture. Mix well. Form the mixture into 1-inch balls.
3) Heat butter and oil in a large skillet. Workingin batches, brown meatballs on all sides. Remove from skillet.
4) Deglaze pan with reserved 1/2 cup sherry. When wine has nearly evaporated, whisk in broth, sugar and instant blending flour. Bring to a boil and cook until lightly thickened. Strain at this point if a smooth sauce is desired. Return meatballs to pan, cover, and simmer until fully cooked, about 10 minutes longer. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.






One Year Ago Today: Strawberry Panna Cotta with Stawberry Compote














Two Years Ago Today: Spinach and Pancetta Strata














Three Years Ago Today: Coq Au Vin








42 comments :

Unknown said...

these meat balls looks very delicious...blessing simmy

Federica Simoni said...

mamma mia che buone!complimenti!

Kim said...

These meatballs with spices and the sauce looks pretty pretty good! i have to buy some sherry!

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, super tempting meat balls..

Anonymous said...

I'm sure your guest loved them, they sound delicous, i have copied this one down, and will remember your tips, thansk for sharing

Susan Lindquist said...

Oh Mary! I have been having such fun with meatballs lately. It seems that everywhere I turn I'm finding a different 'take' ... yours are another for us to try ... these seem very much like Swedish meatballs, but without a dairy touch at the last ... anyway they look divine (and I use that term rarely!)... another wonderful recipe!

Unknown said...

I come from a long line of Italian's who love meatballs - granted in a red sauce is my favorite way, but I would not pass these up, trust me! They look and sound so delicious!

Clint said...

YES! YES! YES! And you said the magic word to accompany them---mashed potatoes. That and a little vino and we have a verry happy man. Excellent recipe, indeed.

Martha said...

oh I would love to taste these! love the flavor combos!

Rambling Tart said...

I love meatballs so much, Mary. :-) They feel so, I don't know, old-fashioned and comforting. :-) This sauce sounds lovely.

Clau said...

Que delícia, ficaram muito bonitos e perfeitos para várias mordidas.Beijos.

Lois said...

I love meatballs too, and had to copy this recipe! Plus I get to buy some sherry! :)

Life's a shoe said...

oh wow, yumyum! would love to try this out!!!

SallyBR said...

I am very fond of meatballs of any kind, and love all the spices you added to this version.

I'm bookmarking this!

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

no doubt these look outstanding! as they must taste

Cassie | Bake Your Day said...

I love meatballs and I've actually been craving them lately. These are packed with lots of favorite flavors too. I love this recipe, Mary!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh,I'd love meatballs for dinner, Mary! What a lovely combination of spices...which makes these out of the ordinary and delicious :)

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

I like the spices that you have added to the meatballs. I'm sure they not only taste good but must have a nice aroma as well.

dearsafia said...

thanks so much for your lovely comment on my blog :) yours is lovely. great recipes.

do follow back if you get a chance! www.fromcupcakeswithlove.blogspot.com

David said...

Mary, This is a very nice meatball recipe... I especially like the added spices! Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Suzie said...

These looks so delicious. I know this is one even my picky husband would eat. Thanks! Don't get a lot of those recipes!

Ginny Hartzler said...

These look so good, you went to a lot of trouble for him. It would be such a good thing to have YOU for a neighbor!

Tricia @ saving room for dessert said...

Ooohhh those look yummy! I love the idea of a slightly sweet brown sauce and the sherry must be terrific. Very nice indeed.

A Paixão da Isa said...

humm adoro esse tipo de prato pois fica sempre mt bom e o seu esta uma maravilha assim como o resto adorei bjs e uma continuaçao de um feliz friado bjs

Catherine said...

Dear Mary, I certainly hope your young visitor liked these. I know I would! They sound delicious, a perfect blend of spices. I think the Vikings would set sail for a dish of this!
I hope all is well.
Blessings dear friend. Catherine xo

Jane said...

I always have problems getting meatballs to be the same shape! Yours look perfect! :)

Dining Alone said...

With all of that flavor I could easily make these with turkey or chicken. Then, of course, my husband wouldn't eat them but more for me?! :)

Bree said...

Oh... these look amazing!

Rosita Vargas said...

OMG...las bolas de carne son espectacular me encantan,muy lindas,abrazos hugs,hugs.

Tanna said...

Being a "poor" eater in your house still merits great treats! These sound delicious. blessings ~ tanna

Erica said...

I love meatballs!!What a delicious recipe, Mary!Great sauce!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Meatballs are becoming quite a trendy dish again! I think you're leading the trendsetters with this recipe!

Juliana said...

Mary, these meat balls sound and look awesome, I like when pork and beef are mixed together :)
Thanks for this recipe and hope you are having a great week!

Gloria Baker said...

ah Mary always all you make look wonderful this too!

Claudia said...

This Italian used to go to a Scandinavian buffet for Swedish meatballs for her birthday! That said, these are lighter and love the idea of them spiced in a sweetish wine.

Unknown said...

Mary - these look so delicious - I wish I was your neighbor!

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

looks incredible & super tempting..:P
Tasty Appetite

Kit @ i-lostinausten said...

Looks & sounds really delicious! Would love to try this awesome recipe out! YUM! :)

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

The Mister and I absolutely LOVE meatballs, and these have a nice twist. I definitely would like to try them.

Carole said...

I was wondering if you would like to put up a link to this beef recipe in my Food on Friday Series.

Carole said...

Great that you linked in to Food on Friday. Next week the ingredient is apples.

Carole said...

Hi there just to let you know that this link to Food on Friday: Beef was showcased today in my Need Some Inspiration Series. Cheers

PS I realised that I wasn't signed up yet to follow your blog. Sorry about that. I have signed up now and hope you will follow Carole's Chatter back.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly