Saturday, June 2, 2012

Asian-Style Chicken Meatballs with Peanut Sauce





From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Arrangements for the yearly gathering of the clan have finally been ironed out. The family usually stays with us, but as the older grandsons have grown, space has become tight. We aren't yet tripping over one another, but quiet spots and privacy are getting harder to come by, so, this year we are trying something new. We've rented a house on a New Hampshire lake where we vacationed when our children were quite young. Hopefully, this will give everyone breathing room and there will be activities to keep the children, young and old, occupied and happy. Each year, around this time, I go back to the drawing board and try to put together menus for large family dinners that the older boys, who like to cook, can help prepare. These meatballs are the first new dish I've tested for the gathering this year and I think it will work well. I've never come across a child who does not like meatballs and this recipe is so simple that even inexperienced and young cooks can follow it without frustration. Unfortunately, my guys have seen Emeril toss food in a skillet, so, I'll have to be on standby and curb their enthusiasm while they brown the meatballs. Once that's done, however, they'll be on their own. This recipe is straight forward and the only tip I have to share with you is the need to keep hands wet when forming the meatballs. I suspect that some of the ingredients we use to make our meals will not be available in a small vacation community, so I plan to create a "care" package that I'll mail to myself about 10 days before our arrival. That way I don't have to worry about things like coconut milk being available when I need them. I found this recipe in Family Circle magazine and I think those of you who try it will be really pleased. The recipe can be doubled if you have a gang to feed and the meatballs, which are of the soft variety, reheat nicely. Here's the recipe.

Asian-Style Chicken Meatballs with Peanut Sauce...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Family Circle magazine

Ingredients:
1 pound ground chicken
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup finely diced sweet red pepper
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons grated ginger, divided use
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup light coconut milk
1/3 cup reduced-fat chunky peanut butter
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
3 cups cooked basmati rice

Directions:

1) Combine chicken, bread crumbs, onion, red pepper, cilantro, egg, salt, cayenne and 1 teaspoon of ginger in a large bowl. Mix well and form into 20 meatballs.
2) Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to a large, lidded saute pan over medium heat. Add half of meatballs and brown on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes total; remove to a plate. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and remaining meatballs; set aside.
3) In same pan, combine coconut milk, peanut butter, chicken broth, soy sauce and remaining 1/2 teaspoon ginger. Stir constantly over medium heat to melt peanut butter. Bring to a simmer and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until slightly thickened. Add meatballs to sauce, cover pan and cook 5 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through.
4) Serve meatballs and peanut sauce over rice. Garnish with cilantro, if desired. Yield: 20 meatballs.







One Year Ago Today: Walnut and Butterscotch Brownies
















Two Years Ago Today:Caramelized Onion, Blue Cheese and Walnut Pizza
















Three Years Ago Today: Blue Lemonade

17 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

These look just wonderful the way you have presented them, and who doesn't just love meatballs?

Alicia Foodycat said...

That sounds tasty! Wonderful that the boys like to cook.

Rita said...

Love this recipe and would be a hit with my husband.
Rita

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Oh have so much fun. Love the idea of your get togethers ... Makes it even better to picture the vacation home!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Have a wonderful family time. (I love peanut sauce on anything.)

grubarazzi said...

This is one of those recipes that would most certainly please a crowd. Love it. Have a wonderful time with your family.

Tracy's Living Cookbook said...

Oh! A family vacation in New Hampshire! That sounds so lovely! We usually gather from far corners of the country in Tennessee at a large rented house where we all fit. The menu and cooking are a fun part of the planning. These meatballs have all my favorite flavors - good idea about mailing the coconut milk!

Claudia said...

I have a freezer full of ground chicken - had no idea I kept buying it and not using it! Love Asian-style meatballs. The vacation sounds picture perfect. We will rent a place up north sometimes and let the "kids" come and go at will!

Angie's Recipes said...

wow Mary, these chicken meatballs look lipsmackingly good!

Judy@SavoringToday said...

Meatballs are always a kid favorite, these are nice change of pace, for sure. I know what you mean about planning a menu for a family get together -- the are familiar favorites everyone looks forward to, but it also needs some fresh new stuff too. Have a blessed time with family. :)

Barbara F. said...

Your photo of their presentation is so appetizing, I want to go out and buy all ingredients and make them TODAY! Sounds delicious, I am saving this recipe. Have a wonderful vacation, too, and enjoy every minute. xo

Dining Alone said...

What a great idea to mail stuff ahead. And you are right, even my picky husband loves meatballs. These look delicious.

Lori said...

I tried your rye bread the other day. It was so delicious. Nice crunchy crust, light, full of flavor. We enjoyed some turkey reubens for dinner. Thank you!

Teacup Mosaics said...

I love visiting and finding your treasures that I have never tried before. Thanks for sharing, now off to the frig, you have made me very hungry!
Happy Summer!
Kelley

Mother said...

How can you be so good? This recipe reminds me of a trip to China with my husband. Tomorrow I try it!! Hello, Mother

France@beyondthepeel said...

Peanut sauce on anything! Yum. Lovely.

My Little Space said...

Now, this definitely makes me drooling. The peanut sauce sounds really yummy too. What a beautiful pairing. Thanks for sharing it, Mary.
Enjoy your day.
Kristy

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly