Sunday, June 24, 2012

Lemon-Glazed Blueberry Cake



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This is a wonderful cake to keep in mind for the 4th of July. It is easy to make and nothing speaks to summer better than a pint of blueberries, except, perhaps, a pint of blueberries suspended and baked in a light and luscious batter. This is not a cake for the sophisticated. If, however, you love parades and fireworks and hot dogs, I think you'll find this cake very tempting. The recipe I'm featuring  was developed by Pat Concree and it was published in the Boston Globe several years ago. While the cake is best made with fresh berries, frozen fruit can be used as long as it is not allowed to thaw. Soft berries will bleed into the batter and spoil its color. I do have one suggestion to make. This is a very moist cake and it will become soggy if it sits too long in the pan. While not specified in the recipe, I turn my cake on a wire rack so the bottom has a chance to dry. I love to serve this warm, but it is also delicious when it is served at room temperature. It is not a good keeper, so try to serve it when you have a gang to feed. I think those of you who try this cake will love it. Here's the recipe.

Lemon-Glazed Blueberry Cake...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Pat Concree and the Boston Globe

Ingredients:
Cake
1 pint (2 cups) fresh blueberries, picked over
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
1 cup whole milk
Glaze
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan, tapping out excess flour.
2) Place blueberries in a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon flour.
3) Mix flour, baking powder and salt together in a separate bowl.
4) In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
5) Place butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric stand mixer and cream together. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time.
6) With mixer set on its lowest speed, beat flour mixture into batter alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Fold in whites, then fold in the blueberries.
7) Bake cake for 40 to 45 minutes or until it pulls away from the sides of pan and top springs back when pressed with a fingertip.
8) To make glaze: Sift confectioners' sugar into a bowl. Stir in lemon juice and zest. Add additional lemon juice as necessary to make a mixture that pours easily. Yield: 8 to 12 servings.










One Year Ago Today: Rhubarb Custard Pie
















Two Years Ago Today: Deviled Eggs with Curry and Cilantro















Three Years Ago Day: Buttermilk Tarts


21 comments :

LoveT. said...

mh .. what a delicious Post :)

Wish you a great Sunday!

SKIP TO MALOU said...

this looks incredibly good (as always) i Love the lemon glaze on top. I could almost taste it haha! yep it looks dreamy!

warmest regards,
Malou

Life's a shoe said...

wow! looks like a great reipe

Cheah said...

The cake looks yummy and it must taste good with the fresh blueberries. Alas, fresh blueberries or other berries are very expensive in this part of the globe.

What's Baking?? said...

Looks great, Mary, as always. Picture perfect too.

Lynn said...

Looks like a great cake! I'd love to give it a try:@)

Vicki Bensinger said...

What a lovely cake and perfect for breakfast or dessert. I love having breads like this with some coffee in the morning.

The fresh taste of lemon with blueberries sound light and delicious. I'm saving this recipe to have on my patio one morning soon.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Perfect ... I have some fresh blueberries I need to use.

pam said...

My blueberry bush is so prolific this year! This would be perfect.

Ellen B Cookery said...

This sounds great! I've got blueberries in the refrigerator and all the other ingredients are staples in my pantry. Perfect, on a Sunday, while everyone is home. By the way, I was I was looking for a rhubarb recipe and this is just what I found from your one year ago section. Thanks!

Diane said...

I saw blueberries in the supermarket yesterday. I should have bought some :( Have a great day Diane

A Paixão da Isa said...

adoro bolos que levam limao esse esta mt bom gostei mt da decor bravo bjs bom domingo

Ginny Hartzler said...

The first thing I thought of when I saw this cake was the Fourth Of July! And the lemon glaze is an added bonus.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Mary, I must be so unsophicated! This is my kind of cake.... nice and moist. YUMMY!

Gloria Baker said...

Love this blueberry cake dear Mary, have a lovely Sunday!

Shug said...

I have some fresh blueberries right now...they are just waiting for me to make something delicious out of them, and this sounds like the perfect thing to make!!
hugs...

SImple and Serene Living said...

lemons and blueberries. Yum!!

Joanne said...

Lemon and blueberry is one of my favorite cake flavor combos! I know I'd love this.

Veronica Miller said...

You make the yummiest treats! While sophisticted desserts have their place, I'm probably a bigger fan of non fussy ones like this. YUMMMM

David said...

Mary, I just love blueberries...and while I'm not generally a cake fan, (much prefer pies), this one sounds moist enough to tickle my fancy! Thanks for the recipe! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Tender B. said...

Lemon and blueberries make an excellent team.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly