Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Julia Child's Basque Piperade





From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Each summer, just about this time,  I start to daydream about the heady and distinctive food of the French Basque region. The Basque people occupy a narrow strip of land nestled between the Atlantic Ocean and the western Pyrenees in a region that spans the border between France and Spain. While Basque food tends to be unique, elements of both cuisines can be found in the food favored by the people of this region. Ingredients you might be familiar with, include Bayonne ham and piment d’Espelette, a chili pepper that is used to flavor one of the region's best known dishes, piperade. A fleeting thought of piperade, visually triggered by bins of peppers appearing in farmer's markets, usually begins my reverie, and before I can help myself, I find myself slicing peppers with a vengeance and speed that rivals that of the guillotine. Come September, my freezer will have neatly labeled packets of  stewed and seasoned peppers that will bring sunshine to my winter kitchen.  Plainly stated, I love piperade and serve it often as a main course or side dish, depending on my fancy. The dish is made with sauteed onions, bell peppers and tomatoes that are flavored with Espelette pepper. It can be served with rice or potatoes, and eggs, meat and poultry can also be added to make the dish more substantial. The dish has wonderful color that, by accident or design, reflects the red, green and white colors of the Basque flag. It also has a robust flavor that I find addicting. The recipe I use to make piperade was developed by Julia Child and can be found in her book, The Way to Cook. While there are many fine recipes for piperade floating around, I continue to use hers. It's like an old friend and my kitchen just wouldn't be the same were it to be swapped with another. If you have never had piperade, I hope you will give this recipe a try. It is wonderful and quite easy to make. Use proscuitto to replace Bayonne ham and hot Hungarian paprika as a substitute for piment d’Espelette. I most often use piperade in a braised chicken dish that is so simple it needs no recipe. A cut-up chicken is first sauteed and then placed in a casserole with piperade. It simmers, stovetop, for about 45 minutes and is served with white rice. If you like well-flavored food, I know you will love casserole. Here's the recipe.

Piperade...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Julia Child

Ingredients:
6 medium tomatoes or 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons olive oil
4 ounces thinly sliced Bayonne ham or proscuitto, cut into 1/2-inch squares
2 medium yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, coarsely chopped
1 medium dried bay leaf
2 medium red, yellow, or orange bell peppers, cleaned and sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips
2 medium green bell peppers, cleaned and sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips
Kosher salt
2 teaspoons piment d’Espelette or hot Hungarian paprika

Directions:

1) If using fresh tomatoes, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Prepare an ice water bath by filling a medium bowl halfway with ice and water. Using tip of a knife, remove stem and cut a shallow X-shape into bottom of each tomato. Place tomatoes in the boiling water and blanch until the skin just starts to pucker and loosen, about 10 seconds. Drain and immediately immerse tomatoes in ice water bath. Using a small knife, peel loosened skin and cut each tomato in half. With a small spoon, scrape out any seeds, then core and coarsely chop remaining flesh. Set aside.
2) Place a large Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil. When oil shimmers, add ham or proscuitto and cook, stirring occasionally, until it’s golden brown, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate and set aside.
3) Return pan to heat, add remaining 2 teaspoons oil, and, once heated, add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring rarely, until soft and beginning to color, about 8 minutes. Stir in herbs and pepper slices and season well with salt. Cover and cook, stirring rarely, until peppers are slightly softened, about 10 minutes.
4) Stir in diced tomatoes, browned ham, and piment d’Espelette or paprika and season well with salt. Cook uncovered until mixture melds and juices have slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf and serve. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.








One Year Ago Today: Key Lime Cheesecake

















Two Years Ago Today: Watermelon Limeade

















Three Years Ago Today: Baked French Toast with Cardamom and Apricot Preserves

25 comments :

Gerry @Foodness Gracious said...

Fantastic looking and sounding dish, the flavors sound amazing!
Thanks :)

Banana Wonder said...

Oooh looks so good!

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Mary, this looks and sounds delicious. I have always been intrigued by the food of the Basque country, and it's an area of Spain that I have always wanted to visit.

I've bookmarked this for our next summer when peppers are once again plentiful and affordable, though those days seem far off right now.

Sue

Dixie said...

I'm always looking for new dishes to try from cultures all around the world. The first time I heard of the Basque region was in the book Shibumi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shibumi_(novel)

The way you described the dish portrayed it as unique, colorful, and flavorful--much the same way the Basque people are described in the book.

Can't wait to try it!

Debs @ The Spanish Wok said...

OMG this sounds so delicious.

Have a soup to suit this month's theme?

You are welcome to join in my monthly food blogger event THE SOUP KITCHEN, here for entry details and current theme offering a new theme each month. All bloggers are welcome, hope to see you participate soon.

Diane said...

Your photo made my mouth water, guess what we will be having for dinner tonight. Thanks for the great idea. Have a good day Diane

Lynn said...

This sounds great and I'd really like to give it a try! Love the idea of adding chicken and serving over rice:@)

Ana Regalado said...

Definitely with rice to soak up that yummy sauce ! Or maybe some french bread ?! That plateful of dish looks really mouthwatering :D

Tanna said...

We love peppers and we love robust! I'm sure this one will be delicious! blessings ~ tanna

My Little Space said...

Mary, I love what you did here. Simple & delicious. I think the tomatoes will flavour up this dish wonderfully.
Hope you're all well & have a great week ahead. ((hugs))
Blessings
Kristy

Mark Strong said...

Looks delicious, reminds me of the Peperonata Rustica from the from Kellers Ad Hoc at home. Though I guess the order on those to be reversed.

Big Dude said...

I don't know which I like best from your blog - the great dishes you make or the cooking/history/geography lessons that come with them.

Unknown said...

I have had piperade before, but have never made it. Which is sort of surprising because we go through a lot of peppers around here. This version sounds perfect and I can't wait to try it!

Kim said...

I went to french basque country a couple of years ago and it was so beautiful... plus everything I taste was perfect... Your piperade reminds me of this beautiful trip...

Ellen B Cookery said...

How delicious! I just want to break up a baguette and dip into the sauce. YUM!

QembarDelites said...

I know I will enjoy this beautiful dish! The idea of adding chicken sounds good!

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Hi Mary, lovely post again. Since we met some new friends from Russia, I'm always daydreaming about a gorgeous soup they taught us which they call "borscht".

Suzie said...

I've not heard of this before. It looks very good and your idea of it with chicken is very appealing :)

Joanne said...

I love the fresh summer flavors in this!

June said...

Just picked up a bunch of peppers for 3/$1.00 at our local market. I was going to roast and freeze 'em but this looks so much better. Thanks Mary, once again!

Sarah B. said...

Oh my goodness, if I didnt' already have a plan for dinner tonight I would be making this!!! I will be making it this weekend!

Men Trend said...

Looks really yuummiiieee!

http://mentrend.blogspot.be/

Barbara said...

I've never made a piperade, Mary. Can't go wrong with a Julia recipe for a first try, can I? It looks wonderful and I'd just need some crusty bread to op up that sauce!

Dining Alone said...

I have a Julia Child cookbook and I am ashamed to say I have not made one recipe from it. This looks delicious.

Lenia said...

It really sounds wonderful!Tasty and summery!Many kisses from Greece,dear!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly