Sunday, July 1, 2012

Summer Pudding




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I've made this dessert for years, in forms both plain and fancy. I first had the pudding as a child when it was prepared by a Swedish neighbor for a Midsummer's Eve celebration. I developed a fancy for its tart berry sweetness and it was one of the first desserts I made as a bride. Once I had my own kitchen, I turned to recipes that had been develop by British food writers. I suspect I was working on the theory that no one knows puddings better than the Brits, and if I wanted the very best recipe for summer pudding, I'd most likely find it tucked somewhere within their collective writings. So, in flights of fancy, I moved across the pond and dallied with the likes of Nigel Slater and Nigella Lawson, who curiously enough, led me back to the Hamptons and the kitchen of Ina Garten, where I finally found the pudding of my dreams. On a more practical note, as you glance  through the recipe you'll notice that no provision is made for greasing the pudding mold. That's because it is not necessary. If you have weighted the pudding and let it chill overnight, it will release once it is freed from the sides of the mold with a knife. I've also come to the conclusion that the bread you use for the pudding is not as important as many would lead you to believe. Brioche or challah are both wonderful, but a good quality sandwich bread works well too. The colors of this pudding, especially when it is served with a mound of whipped cream, make it a perfect dessert for an upscale the 4th of July celebration. I do hope you'll try this recipe. Those of you who like barely sweet and seasonal treats will be in heaven. Here's Ina's recipe.

Summer Pudding...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Ina Garten

Ingredients:

Pudding
1 pint strawberries, cored and sliced
1-1/2 cups sugar
3 cups ( 3 1/2-pint containers) fresh raspberries, plus additional for garnish
1 pint blueberries, plus additional for garnish
2 tablespoons framboise (or other raspberry liqueur)
1 to 1-1/2 pounds brioche or other egg bread
Topping
1 cup (1/2 pint) heavy cream, cold
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon dark rum

Directions:
1) Combine strawberries, sugar and 1/4 cup water in a large (6- to 8-quart) saucepan and cook uncovered over medium-low heat 5 minutes. Add 2 cups raspberries and all blueberries and cook 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture simmers. Continue cooking 1 minute. Remove from heat and add remaining raspberries and framboise.
2) Slice bread into 1/2-inch-thick slices and remove crusts. Ladle about 1/2 cup cooked berry mixture into bottom of soufflé dish (approximately 7-1/2 inches across by 3 inches high). Arrange one layer of bread slices side by side in a circular pattern (this will become the top when pudding is unmolded). Add more berry mixture to saturate. Continue adding bread, slicing to fit mold, and berry mixture. Finish with bread, and top with any remaining berry mixture.
3) Cover pudding loosely with plastic wrap and place a plate (with approximately the same diameter as inside of mold) on top. Weight with a heavy can and refrigerate. Remove weight after 6 to 8 hours. Continue to refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days. Yield: 8 servings.
4) Just before serving, whip cream in a small bowl until it starts to thicken. Add sugar, vanilla and rum. Continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
5) To serve: Run a knife around outside of pudding; unmold onto a serving plate. Garnish with fresh fruit. Serve in wedges with whipped cream. yield: 8 servings.







One Year Ago Today. Martha Stewart's Spaghetti 101














Two Years Ago Today: Strawberry Souffle

















Three Years Ago Today: Chicken Wellington

38 comments :

Hotly Spiced said...

That's a very beautiful looking summer pudding. I love the vibrant and attractive colours.

Nash Nordin said...

Lovely pudding! I love the color. Thanks for the recipe. I think I'm going to try them sometimes later.

Alessandra said...

Classic! Just like my Mother in law makes it :-).

Ciao and have a great Sunday

Alessandra

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Hi Mary,

Us Brits do have some good puddings, that's for sure!
Duncan In Kuantan

Katarina said...

This looks so refreshing and delicious! Have a great day!

Pondside said...

This looks an awful lot like the summer puddings I've had at the homes of various relatives in Denmark. Yummy!

Nicoletta Palmas said...

Wow!!!!!! what an amazing dessert!!!! doesn't seems to be very difficult either to make! I want to try this! thanks for sharing!

Lynn said...

The pudding is very pretty! Can't believe it's just bread holding it together:@)

Diane said...

I love summer pudding but have not made one yet this year, thanks for the reminder. Love your recipe. Keep well Diane

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I guess I'll be in heaven because I prefer barely sweet.

What a gorgeous dessert Mary.
Hope you have a wonderful 4th of July.
Sam

SImple and Serene Living said...

Mary, This looks so absolutely delicious. The perfect summer treat. I don't know why I insist on reading your posts first thing in the morning. I spend the rest of the day hungry :)

Unknown said...

I have never made this dessert though I have eaten it in restaurants. Seeing as raspberries are usually about $6 for 250g I don't think I will be making it any time soon. So I'll just ogle your delicious picture!

Cher Rockwell said...

Perfect summer dessert! This is lovely.

Kim said...

This really is a wonderful pudding, Mary! It looks perfect with all these fruits!

What's Baking?? said...

We over here don't get such luck with varieties of berries since berries are imported fruits and sold very expensive. So I just get to drool over your dessert. Makes me wanna get a big spoon and start digging into your dessert. Well done, Mary.

Barbara F. said...

Ina knows her stuff! This looks beautiful and perfect for the heat wave most of the country is experiencing . xo

Suzi said...

This is a beauty. Those berries are just gorgeous and I bet this is lovely tasting pudding.

Sandra said...

This looks gorgeous! I love berries and that pudding sure is very summery! Beautiful photo!

Shruti said...

that is one gorgeous summer pudding !!

tender b. said...

Such vibrant colors. Beautiful looking pudding.

Dining Alone said...

I am definitely a fan of desserts that are not too sweet, and this looks so pretty.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

That, Ina. Love her. Love England, too.

Shug said...

this is certainly a beautiful pudding dessert.
love the colors...and I'm figuring it is quite tasty...

Jennifer Kendall said...

wow, that sounds delicious! such a gorgeous color!

From the Kitchen said...

This is one of our favorite summer desserts. I haven't made it in a few years but you've spurred me on!

Best,
Bonnie

decocinasytacones said...

Beautiful and I´m sure yummy.
Love from the north of Spain
Marialuisa

Ellen B Cookery said...

This looks so nice ... I love the rich colours. Must be delicious!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Mary - The first time I ever ate this, I was smitten and your version looks divine.

Joanne said...

So it's kind of like a berry bread pudding?? How delicious!

Unknown said...

Fabulous Mary! I wish I had a piece to put me in the patriotic mood, or at least that is my excuse for wanting it!

Leontien said...

Hi Mary,
It all looks Yummy like always!!

Thank you so much for linking up on the Flowers for Leontien!

It means a lot to me!

Big hugs
Leontien

Ellen Whyte said...

No, no, don't tempt me you evil woman! I loooooooooooove this pudding! And I can't afford to make it because I'll scoff the lot.

Now I want one :-)

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

This is absolutely beautiful and tasty my friend :D
ZVirtual high five!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I can't remember where I first saw this dessert, but I have wanted to make it for years.

http://platanosmangoes.com said...

Now this I have made and I love it....perfecto topping....

Jane said...

Gorgeous! It looks very summery!

Cindy said...

Yes, yes Mary I think you should win the berry contest. This looks beautiful and I can just imagine it tastes delicious!!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I have always wanted to try my hand at one Mary. It looks delectable.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly