Saturday, July 21, 2012

Zucchini Bread with Pineapple and Walnuts





From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Every year I engage in some insanity with friends who were in my Master Gardener's class. It actually is a challenge. At this time of year, our local farm stands sell huge zucchini for a dollar. These monsters are 18 to 24 inches long and if you dropped on your foot, serious damage could be done to your toes. At any rate, the challenge is to see who can make the best use of the dollar zucchini. The first year we did this was easy. We all had clean slates and didn't have to concern ourselves with repetitions or copy cat entries. However, we've done this for five years now and it is getting harder and harder to come up with new things to make. In past years I've worked on savory entries that could be served as meals. This year I want to confuse everyone and work my way through the sweet end of the spectrum. I made this bread just before we left for New Hampshire and it is one of the loaves that traveled with me from one coast to the other. It was given luggage space because the combination of zucchini and pineapple was a delightful surprise and I wanted to share it with my daughters. If you have not yet tried the combination, I hope you will give this moist and flavorful bread a try. I promise you won't regret it. Here's the recipe I used.

Zucchini Bread with Pineapple and Walnuts...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Lane County Extension Service

Ingredients:
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup grated zucchini
1 (8-oz.) can crushed pineapple (with juice)
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Glaze
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:
1) Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour bottom only of a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
2) Cream brown sugar and butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Reserve 1 tablespoon pineapple juice. Stir in pineapple, zucchini, and eggs. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and allspice. Blend well. Fold in nuts. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
3) Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, and then remove from pan and finish cooling on a wire rack.
4) To Make Glaze: Combine confectioners' sugar, reserved 1 tablespoon pineapple juice, corn syrup and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Mix until smooth, and spoon over warm loaf. Cool completely on wire rack. Wrap and store in refrigerator. Yield: 8 to 12 servings.







One Year Ago Today: Savory Spinach and Rice Cakes















Two Years Ago Today: Raspberry Kuchen















Three Years Ago Today: Lemon-Herb Slow Cooker Chicken

24 comments :

Sue/the view from great island said...

This looks wonderful, Mary, I don't think I've ever seen pineapple in zucchini bread. I hope you had a fun time in New Hampshire!

Gloria Baker said...

Mary this zucchini bread soundd amazing!

theNali said...

This sounds ideal for a family reunion camping weekend this fall. Will this bread keep well for 4-5 days of traveling? or would you suggest to freeze it and let it thaw during the traveling?

Katarina said...

I like to bake with zucchini and to use it with pineapple and walnuts sounds lovely!

Diane said...

My zucchini's are just starting in quantity so will give this a try. Thanks. Enjoy your weekend. Diane

kitchen flavours said...

This looks wonderful! I do not bake or cook with zucchini often enough. Your zucchini bread sounds delicious with pineapple and walnuts. Thanks for sharing, have a lovely weekend!

safire said...

I miss cooking and baking! I'm away from my home in Florida so I haven't been in the kitchen at all

This looks DELICIOUS!

StephenC said...

What did you do with the other 75 cups of grated zucchini you got from that monster? How about a horror movie - "Zucchini-Zilla?"

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Mary, Not only does this bread look scrumptious it not the traditonal kink. Love the addition of pineapples!
And it "travels well" too!

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

Thanks for posting this recipe, Mary. Hubby planted a whole pkg of zucchini seeds yielding 24 plants ! Do I know what he was thinking? I am sure he didn't ! LOL it has begun, with us going to have it coming out of our Ying Yangs. Family & friends have been put on alert mode. Enjoy your weekend.

Ellen B Cookery said...

The timing of this post is perfect. I've got more zucchinis growing in the garden than I know what to do with. Thanks for sharing!

Tanna said...

I know this is so moist and delicious!! I'd have loved to have intercepted that suitcase! LOL! blessings ~ tanna

What's next said...

My sweet neighber keeps bringing me those huge zucchini... last week I tried a recipe with pineapple and coconut and it was great, this sounds like the next one I need to try with the never ending supply of zucchini.

Bites from life with the barking lot said...

Can't wait for my zucchini to come in. It's still in the flower stage! Looks great with the pineapple!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

This is perfect! I was just wondering how I would change up my annual zucchini bread baking as the squash starts rolling off the farm. Love the addition of pineapple for sweetness.

Kim said...

This bread looks quite perfect! I too have big big zucchinis at home! Think I'm gonna give it a try!

From the Kitchen said...

I'm assuming that all of your food was in your checked luggage. Otherwise, you might have ended up on world news as confounding the TSA!! Hope you had a great vacation.

Best,
Bonnie

Chiara said...

this zucchini bread sound wonderful! Have a good day...

Joanne said...

The pineapple and walnuts sound like great additions to this!

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

The Herbal Husband's favorite and pineapple is a delicious inclusion. I have a recipe that includes it. Your timing is perfect because the zucchinis are appearing everywhere! It's been too hot to turn on the oven, but maybe in a couple of days! Thanks as always for sharing your talents! xxoo Nancy

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

Zucchini bread is such a gift of summer's bounty! Can't wait to try this recipe!

Tender B. said...

I never thought adding pineapple to a baked good would be any good until I had in a carrot cake. Adds an interesting dimension to it.

Stephanie said...

This sounds really interesting. I've never heard of pineapple in a zucchini bread. I definitely have to make zucchini bread once they all start rolling in. Thanks for this.

Mary Bergfeld said...

EC, well wrapped, the cake will keep for several days. I hope you enjoy it. Blessings...Mary

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly