Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Corn with Bacon and Miso Butter




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Yellow was definitely the color of my day today, and while it had a golden ending, I must admit there were moments that I thought I'd died and gone to heaven, or, at the very least, stumbled into a Kafka novel. Part of our October adventure will be spent on the Amazon and in the jungles of Peru. That, of course, means we need certain vaccinations, among them, the one for yellow fever. Sounds straight forward, huh? We had an appointment for the inoculations and I really thought it would be an easy in, easy out affair. Ten years ago that would have been the case, but my guy and I now fall into a group that is encouraged to forego the vaccination because of potential problems with immune system response. Normally, the wise decision would be to refuse the vaccine and use liberal applications of an insect repellent in its stead. There is, however, a Catch-22. Peru is one of the few places left on earth that still require a certificate of vaccination as a condition for entry into the country. If you want to see the Amazon you have to get the shot. Suffice it to say, the injections came with a lot of counseling, and what I thought would be a 10 minute affair came in closer to three hours. We are, however, now set for the adventure and God help any mosquito that tries to mess with me.

Since the theme of this post seems to be yellow, I thought this would be a great time to share a spectacular dish with you. The recipe, a mix of fresh sweet corn, bacon and a miso butter sauce, was developed by David Chang of Momofuku fame, and, I promise, it will make your socks go up and down. The dish is best made with corn fresh off the cob, but a top quality frozen shoepeg corn can be used if time is a problem. The recipe is straight forward and easy to make. The good news is corn prepared in this manner is truly delicious. The bad news is it does not keep well. So, try to make this when you have a quorum at your table. I suspect this recipe will weave its way into at least one of our holiday meals. I really like this dish and I think those of you who try it will share my enthusiasm. Here's the recipe.


Corn with Bacon and Miso Butter...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of David Chang

Instructions:
1/4 pound thick-sliced bacon (about 3 slices)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon white miso (fermented soy bean paste)
1 small onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
10 ears corn, kernels cut from cobs (6 to 7 cups)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions (2 to 3)

Directions:
1) Cut bacon crosswise into 1/8-inch strips. Cook bacon in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, leaving fat in skillet.
2) While bacon cooks, stir together butter and miso in a small bowl.
3) Cook onion in bacon fat over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Add corn and pepper and increase heat to moderately high, then cook, stirring constantly, until some of kernels are pale golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Add water and butter mixture and cook, stirring, until corn is tender and coated with miso butter, about 4 minutes. Stir in bacon, 1/4 cup scallions, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve sprinkled with remaining 1/4 cup scallions. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.








One Year Ago Today: Roasted Fennel and Peppers















Two Years Ago Today: Chiang Mai Curry Noodles with Chicken

16 comments :

David said...

Mary, Come on...corn and bacon with butter! That's a can't miss proposition. My wife would leave home for that dish. I'll have to fix it for her to avoid abandonment! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Diane said...

You come up with some fantastic recipes. Love the idea of this. Diane

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Sweetcorn and bacon would go down well in my family!
Duncan In Kuantan

Salsa Verde said...

Super delicious combo!!
Cheers,
Lia.

Unknown said...

Can't wait to try this one! Sounds like a fabulous combination of flavors. So glad you finally got your shots, I know you're looking forward to this fun trip!

From the Kitchen said...

I'm glad you posted a corn recipe. I did too and was feeling like maybe I'd overdone the "corn" offerings. Is that even possible? I am going to try your recipe and will share it with my corn-giving friends!

I'll be saying a little prayer (not) for those hungry mosquitos to the south!!

Best,
Bonnie

Unknown said...

Yea, I would have thought the same thing... simple in and simple out... At least you got it taken care of and yellow fever will be the furthest thing from your mind on your travels!
LOVE this recipe.. ok, I'm a sucker for another with bacon, but still.. I would have never thought to use miso butter!!

Kim said...

Bacon, miso and corn. Sounds like a hit, I'm trying it tonight!

SImple and Serene Living said...

Your planned trip sounds wonderful, Mary although the inoculation ordeal doesn't sound like it was too pleasant. Corn has been scarce this year, but it is always fun to find a new recipe for such a delicious summertime veggie.

Hugs,
Laura

Dining Alone said...

I can't imagine three hours! I am sure the trip will be worth it and I cannot wait to hear about it. That corn dish would be gone quick in my house :)

Tricia Buice said...

I've never tried Miso but I hear so much about it lately. This is a lovely dish - have a happy Wednesday.

StephenC said...

I had just decided not to buy any more corn this year because the quality has been poor. However, I am a great fan of frozen corn, which I merely heat through and consider it cooked. Also, I may be one of only a few of your readers with miso paste in the fridge. Bacon, corn and miso here I come!

Jenn @ You know... that Blog? said...

This sounds deeeee-lish!

So does your Amazon adventure. I hope you have a wonderful time!

teresa said...

i'm intrigued with that miso butter!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

An Amazon adventure or even a trip to Peru and a hike up to Machu Picchu is a dream of mine...someday!!!! In the mean time I will eat corn.

France@beyondthepeel said...

Oooh! I like the sound of miso on corn. Nice.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly