Thursday, August 30, 2012

Lite Zucchini Bread




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I love the bold colors of the produce that fights for space on the counters of my summer kitchen. Those bell-clear reds and bright greens and yellows are destined for jars whose colors will brighten my pantry shelves and rival the tones of an artist's palette. I have clear plans for the reds and will have them packed away in no time, but using all those greens and yellows is more problematic. The squash does me in every year. I can control how much we grow and purchase, but what we inherit from neighbors and well-meaning friends moves me into that dangerous "now what" realm of kitchen creativity. I've decided to use the last of the squash for breads that I can freeze and use later in the year. I'm not a huge fan of zucchini bread. My sweetometer kicks in quickly and I find most loaves are way too sweet for my taste. I've been eyeing this recipe for months now and finally came to the conclusion that at its worst, it would be better than the cloying recipes that I had tried to date. I got with the program this afternoon and can happily report the bread isn't half bad. The recipe is a contest winner that was published in Taste of Home Magazine. The bread is very easy to make and it is perfect for toting to a morning coffee or committee meeting. If you are looking for a sweet treat that can be made with minimal effort, I think you'll be happy with this bread. It uses half the sugar and oil of a typical loaf and its flavor improves with age. I suggest you make it at least 8 hours before you plan to serve it. If you are looking for a lite version of zucchini bread, you might want to give this recipe a try. Here's how the bread is made.

Lite Zucchini Bread...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Taste of Home Magazine

Ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup canola oil
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/4 cups shredded peeled zucchini
1/2 cup raisins

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with grease oa non-stick cooking spray.
2) Combine sugar, applesauce, oil, egg whites and vanilla in a medium bowl. Beat until well blended.
3) Combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and baking soda in another bowl. Gradually beat into sugar mixture. Fold in zucchini and raisins.
4) Pour or scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center of bread comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).








One Year Ago Today: Couscous with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Feta Cheese














Two Years Ago Today: Lime Marmalade

















Three Years Ago Today: Sweet and Spicy Watermelon Rind Pickles

16 comments :

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I love zucchini bread ... and this version looks better for me.

Hope your end of summer is going well, Mary.

Fondly,
Glenda

Priya Suresh said...

Fantastic and beautiful super moist bread.

Salsa Verde said...

I love zucchini recipes and your bread looks very moist and delicious. I'd love to try a slice!
Cheers,
Lia.

Unknown said...

I love breads that use applesauce.. they turn out so amazingly moist! Looking forward to trying this.. I love zucchini bread!!

Ana Regalado said...

If only I could (il)legally download some of the fresh produce that littered your kitchen ! lol

This zucchini bread looks delicious ! Love how moist this bread is !

Unknown said...

Yummy love zucchini bread and lite even better!! I have to try this recipe. Looks delicious.

Lynda said...

I like zucchini bread and this one is a bit different with the applesauce. It looks like a delicous loaf Mary

Prema said...

wow amazing bake,luks perfect...

Eileen said...

I love a good zucchini bread. The one I make has a bit more spice to it. Zucchini is one of those things I think I should like but I've never developed a taste for, though I will occasionally eat it fried. Zucchini bread is always what I make if someone gives me a few.

Dining Alone said...

I love Taste of Home magazine, it has been a favorite of mine for years. This bread looks tasty!

Joanne said...

I love the idea of a healthier zucchini bread! This is totally breakfast-worthy.

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

A 'lighter' zucchini bread recipe is truly what my body needs right now! Thanks!

Tricia Buice said...

The zucchini bread looks wonderful and not at all like a "light" version. I bet it freezes great too! Have a happy weekend Mary!

Kim said...

I made my own version of zucchini muffins, on th light side, this week. I'll keep this bread in mind!

tender b. said...

I love that it uses applesauce. I am really into baked goods that include that, just gives it a feel that I missed out in all my oil years.

France@beyondthepeel said...

I love zucchini bread. I brings back so many memories of growing up. My mom used to make it all the time. Especially at this time of the year.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly