Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Arroz Brasileiro (Brazilian Tomato Rice)




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This recipe is fairly new to me, but since I've found it, Brazilian rice has become a favorite of mine. I found the recipe in an old issue of Cuisine At Home while searching for side dishes that could be served with some of the Peruvian entrees I wanted to test. The two countries share a common border and their cuisines are similar, so I was open to combining dishes from both countries on one plate. This recipe caught my eye because it was prepared in such a unique way. Most tomato rice recipes that I've tried, cook the tomatoes along with the rice. The Brazilian version adds fresh tomatoes to the rice just before serving. Rice cooked this way is flecked with tomatoes rather than red in color and the grains of rice remain separate and do not clump together. Because I prefer a drier rice, I dice fresh tomatoes into 1/2-inch cubes and allow the pieces to drain while the rice cooks. Despite its scant ingredient list, this recipe makes a remarkably flavorful rice that is delicious. I heartily recommend it to you and hope you will give it a try. Here's how the rice is made.

Arroz Brasileiro - Brazilian Tomato Rice ...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Cuisine At Home

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup diced onion
1-1/4 cups water
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2/3 cup dry medium grain rice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup seeded diced tomato, drained

Directions:
Heat olive oil in a saucepan set over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, add onion
and saute for 3 minutes. Stir in water and garlic. Bring to a boil. Add rice and salt and cover pan. Reduce heat to low and simmer rice for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork and stir in tomatoes. Yield: 4 servings.







One Year Ago Today: Rubarb Meringue Pie
















Two Years Ago Today: Pickled Plums



















Three Years Ago Today: Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Cream Frosting

28 comments :

Angie's Recipes said...

Simple but rather flavourful rice dish.

Alicia Foodycat said...

That sounds like a really nice side-dish!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Mmmm I love this tomato rice my friend, it looks wonderful :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Salsa Verde said...

Hi Mary,
I love tomato rice and my mum makes a wonderful version that might be to wet for your liking but that is delicious. Your version looks very yummy and so fluffy!!
Cheers,
Lia.

StephenC said...

Indeed, I will try this.

Rambling Tart said...

What an excellent, yet simple way to do rice. :-) I have some extra rice waiting to be used up AND one can of tomatoes left. Perfect. :-)

Diane said...

I almost always cook some flavour with my rice, I wonder why I have never thought of tomatoes!! Thanks. Have a good day. Diane

Kim said...

This is a great rice dish to serve along a lots of stuff. Like it too!

SallyBR said...

Nice surprise to see a Brazilian recipe as I am waking up and catching the updates on my blog feeds... My Mom used to make this rice for me on a regular basis, so delicious!

thanks for bringing me nice memories!

Unknown said...

I like the idea of adding the fresh tomatoes at the end. I will be trying this for sure... we eat a ton of rice and I love finding new ways to jazz it up!

Claudia said...

This home loves rice. How fun to find something brand, spanking new and easy also. Plus it's easy on the eyes!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Many cuisines worldwide have rice as a staple, something not to be missed on your journey south.

Clau said...

Olá, que bom que gostou do arroz brrasileiro.Meu marido adora arroz com tomates assim....ficou muito bonito.

Big Dude said...

Looks simple and delicious Mary

Vicki Bensinger said...

What a nice light and simple dish. I could see serving this with just about anything.

Tricia Buice said...

Every time I take a "first bite" and it seems perfect I think of you. Not that this has anything to do with your lovely rice dish, but it does. From day to day you make the most wonderful, diverse recipes and I always learn something. I haven't tried this rice but I will be looking for it and will enjoy the first perfect bite!

Barbara F. said...

This rice dish sounds muy delicioso! I could eat this just by itself. xo

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

This Brazilian rice sounds similar to Spanish Rice which I could eat a panful. I've also enjoyed some tomato risotto too, which at first I thought sounded odd, but turned out like this . . . very, very goo!

Ciao,
Roz

Melinda said...

Sounds quite good and easy.

M :)

Chiara said...

easy to make, yummy !Have a great day, blessings...

teresa said...

wonderful! we love rice here, it's always nice to find a way to spice it up!

Blond Duck said...

I feel like rice tonight!

Shug said...

Jeepers....looks so good! I am a huge fan of RICE.
Love all your wonderful recipes...
Hugs
Shug

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Flavorful quick recipe..yum..

Ellen Whyte said...

I had this for breakfast and had no idea I was being Brazilian :-)

David said...

Mary, Simple, straightforward and worth a try! Looks nice too... Thanks for the recipe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Heloisa said...

Adorei ver a receita de arroz do meu país no seu site que é maravilhoso. Realmente a receita é bem simples e muito gostosa!...
Um abraço

http://platanosmangoes.com said...

It is also a favorite of mine...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly