Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Beef and Hominy Stew


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This is a great entrée for a family meal. It's made with a standard list of stew ingredients, but the addition of spicy canned tomatoes and hominy give it a slightly Southwestern bent. Hominy is made from dried corn kernels that have been soaked in a lye or lime solution. Soaking removes the tough outer shells of the kernels and produces a  more flavorful and nutritious niblet that has a creamier texture than corn. It is used in Native American and Mexican cooking and it is a popular addition to dishes in the Southern and Southwestern United States. While this dish can be prepared stovetop, today's recipe, developed by Family Circle magazine, utilizes a slow-cooker to make the stew. It is the type of entrée that will appeal to very busy cooks, and it certainly is easy enough for a novice to make. I must admit that I fussed a bit with this recipe. I browned the meat and vegetables before putting them into the slow cooker. I think browning adds enormous flavor to the stew and it is something that I always do, though I'm willing to admit it probably falls into the category of not necessary but nice. I also cut back on the length of time I cooked the stew because I wanted the meat to retain some texture. Those of you who try this recipe will not be disappointed. It is not gourmet fare, but it is perfect for a rainy fall night. Here's how the stew is made.

Beef and Hominy Stew...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Family Circle magazine

Ingredients:
1 large onion, chopped
1-3/4 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 green pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
3 ribs celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes with chiles
1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 can (15 ounces) hominy, drained and rinsed
Corn tortillas and salad (optional)

Directions:
1) Coat slow cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Place onion in bottom and add beef; season with salt. Add green pepper, carrots, celery and garlic. Pour tomatoes and 3/4 cup of the broth over the top.
2) Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
3) Mix cornstarch with remaining 1/4 cup of broth until smooth. Stir into slow cooker during last 15 minutes of cooking. Add hominy and heat through. Serve with corn tortillas and salad, if desired. Yield: 6 servings.







One Year Ago Today: Turkish Delight - Lokum














Two Years Ago Today: Cherry Cupcakes















Three Years Ago Today: Walnut Bread from Southern Burgundy


15 comments :

fuat gencal said...

Günaydın, ellerinize sağlık. Ne kadar güzel, leziz ve iştah açıcı görünüyor.

Saygılar.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I have always loved hominy. I have trouble finding it these days.

Kim said...

To me it's impossible not to bron the meat before I put it in the slow cooker. This stew is appealing!

Mo said...

This is similar to one I make and bake in oven at low temp for 4-5 hours. Mine uses instant tapioca as thickener.

Very good stew and I often make when I need food for families in a crisis. I have never tried hominy, but will look for it.

StephenC said...

I adore hominy and I love that we are now into stew weather.

Ana Regalado said...

It's big , hearty comfort meal ! I need a more than a plateful of rice with this ! lol

Viviane said...

Hello, just miam....miam , I adore stew.

David said...

Mary, This beef and hominy stew looks like the perfect dish for the upcoming cold weather! Thanks for the recipe... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Catherine said...

Dear Mary, A hearty and delish meal for the chilly weather. Blessings dearest. Catherine xo

Dining Alone said...

I would definitely take this over gourmet food most nights, it looks delicious. I have never tried hominy before, I need to give it a whirl.

Melinda said...

Oh, this just made me hungry!

Looks so good.

M :)

Blond Duck said...

I've always wanted to try hominy!

Shug said...

This looks wonderful...I am a big fan of Hominy, but my hubby doesn't like it at all...So, this will be a great meal for me to fix one weekend while he is away at the Deer Lease...
Blessings,
shug

Ellen Whyte said...

This looks lovely. And simple to cook too.

Salsa Verde said...

Hi Mary,
Stunning stew. Love the flavours and the colours are so bright and it looks so appetising!!
Cheers and hope you have a fantastic day,
Lia.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly