Saturday, October 27, 2012

Machu Picchu














It is customary to have photos taken with the weavers of the articles you purchase.







It took 72 years, but I finally made it to Machu Picchu.











As you climb in elevation the type of housing, food and dress change. The air thins and many of the communities still routinely dress in the fashion of their ancestors. The old ways are cherished and despite the onslaught of tourists, these people remain insular and seem unaffected by most Western influences. Their diet is vegetable based and while cows, sheep, and alpaca are present, the only animal protein consumed is guinea pig. Stilt houses are replaced with stone and adobe structures that are better suited to the cooler temperatures and altitude. Here, as in other areas of Peru, the unemployment rate is zero. Jobs do not pay well, but work is always available. Major occupations are farming, weaving and jobs that service the tourist industry. The air in these communities is thin and becomes rarefied as you ascend into the Cloud Forest and reach Machu Picchu. It is a mystical place and as you walk and climb through its terraces you're hit with recurring waves of awe and a heightened respect for the ancient people who created this fortress so high in the Andean mists. It is an experience I certainly will never forget.

20 comments :

Katarina said...

Lovely pictures, thanks for sharing!

Jenn said...

Incredible, thanks for sharing!

Pondside said...

Your last line is so true. Your photos are beautiful!
Macchu Picchu is magical and mystical - the day I first saw it was a rainy day and it rose out of the mist.

xoxo said...

great photos, to be sure! And I do believe it is normal to pose with the artisans. LOL I did the same while visiting Africa.

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Mary, it's great to see you! I don't believe for one moment you are 72!?!
That's a lovely set if photos and I particularly like the first one.

My Little Space said...

OMG, this is a legend. The view looks absolutely speechless. Thanks so much for taking us along.
Kristy

Angie said...

Wow ...I'm in awe of you ...the photos are stunning ...and you are having the adventure of a life time....you must be so fit to cope with it all. hugs xx

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

Thank you for sharing your travels, as I so enjoyed taking in all the photos you have posted here. These people are so "colourful", I love it! If it took you this long to get here, then there might still be hope for me to get to Europe and Australia some day! Thanks Mary always for your kindness and sharing. "Just Me" xx

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

What a fascinating place. You look like you're having the time of your life Mary. Thanks for sharing your vacation with us.
Sam

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

How wonderful, Mary, for you to finally make it to Machu Picchu! One of our sons got to go there on an art scholarship one summer. He's the one that is staying with us right now while recuperating from spinal disk fusion surgery. If you stop by my blog, you can see the pumpkin he creatively carved for me.

Penny said...

Incredible Mary. So glad you are having this awesome adventure.

Taylor said...

What an amazing adventure!! This is one of my life goals as well, and your pictures are inspiring!

David said...

Mary, Great photos! That town looks so clean too... Poor but spotless. How has the food been on this part of the trip? Sounds like you're really enjoying this huge trip! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

June said...

What a dream! Thanks so much for taking us along with you on your adventure.

Arlene Delloro said...

What a fabulous trip, Mary. Enjoy every minute of it.

Unknown said...

Your photos are just wonderful and I enjoyed reading yr post! You look great too! not at all like I imagined :))

Jill Anderson said...

Wow. Your trip looks amazing. Thanks for sharing some photos with us.

scrambledhenfruit said...

What an amazing experience! Machu Picchu has fascinated me ever since I first read about it. Your photos are gorgeous- I love the little girl with the lamb. Did you try the guinea pig?

meigancam said...

Valuable information ..I am delighted to read this article..thank you for giving us this useful information. Great walk-through. I value this post.holy food
religious food

tender b. said...

Most amazing trip I've been on to date. Brings back such fond memories..

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly