Thursday, October 18, 2012

Onion Scones





From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...These scones were a serendipitous find. They salvaged what otherwise would have been a dreadful day in the kitchen. I've been wanting to expand my chili repertoire and that, of course, involves lots of testing. I had great hopes for the recipe I was working with today, but as it turned out, it was a colossal dud. I kept waiting for a miracle to occur, but the chili never thickened and it was surprising flavorless. When given lemons, most folks make lemonade. I make soup. So, I mashed a good-sized chipotle, threw it in the pot with some adobo sauce and lots of additional broth, hoping to make something that would pass as a bean soup with a plan. That's all it was. I have no Eureka moment to share with you. The soup was edible, but just. However, while all that was going on, I was trying to find something new to serve with the cursed contents of that pot. I found the recipe for these savory and tender scones, here. This was a real find. If you decide to try this recipe, make sure you use a sweet onion in its preparation. I take it a step further and soak the onions in several changes of ice water before I cook and fold them into the dough. I'm, obviously, trying to avoid that harsh bite that onions can impart to baked goods. The recipe calls for a full tablespoon of baking powder. That is not a printing or transposition error. You'll need that much to get these to rise. I really liked these scones and plan to serve them with soup and stews this winter. I really hope you'll give this recipe a try. Here's how the scones are made.

Onion Scones
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of busycooks.about.com

Ingredients:
1 sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup butter
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup light cream
1 egg, beaten
butter

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In small microwave-safe bowl, combine onion, garlic, and butter. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, then stir. Microwave for another 1-2 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
2) Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, pepper and salt in large bowl and stir to mix. Add sauteed onions with the butter remaining in the bowl, light cream, and egg. Stir just until combined. Gently press the dough together with your hands to form a ball.
3) On ungreased cookie sheet, press dough into an 8" circle. Cut the circle into 8 wedges, like you were cutting a pie. Separate the wedges slightly. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned. Brush with more butter and serve immediately. Yield: 8 scones.

Print Friendly and PDF







One Year Ago Today: Turkish-Style Pumpkin Hummus















Two Years Ago Today: Apple Oatmeal Bread
















Three Years Ago Today: Old-Fashioned Double Chocolate Pudding

25 comments :

Dr.Sameena said...

You are such an amazing cook dear...yummy...:)

Dr.Sameena@

http://myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.in/

Katarina said...

I love scones, but have never baked onion scones! They look delicious!

Diane said...

Sorry that you had a bad day but thanks for finding this fantastic recipe. Take care Diane

Alicia Foodycat said...

Those look perfect to go with a bowl of soup! What a shame the chilli was a dud though.

Priya Suresh said...

Definitely a flavourful scones,looks awesome.

SImple and Serene Living said...

It's heartening to know that even you can have a fail, Mary. Gives me hope :)

Big Dude said...

As a fan of onions, these sound delicious and I think they would go well with tonights BBQ ribs.

Sprigs of Rosemary said...

I am in love with the idea of these scones. Odd that I (nearly) always prefer the savory cousin. Sorry about your dud chili/soup. Happy, though, that the scones came our way.

Kim said...

I sure have to buy a sweet onion and I have to bake these!

Lilli said...

definitely to try!:) xoxo

Salsa Verde said...

Hi Mary,
What a great and delicious suggestion you brought us today.
Cheers,
Lia.

daniela64 said...

What a great and delicious scones. Have a beautiful day, Daniela.

Ana Regalado said...

I bet the cursed content of that pot tastes delicious ! lol These onion scones look really tasty !

A Couple in the Kitchen said...

Love the idea of a savory scone. Good save!

June said...

I have a feeling your failure would be another's colossal success. Just sayin'. Great looking scones Mary. I'm printing it out for my collection. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Hi Mary! I haven't been a good follower recently but here I am again! Just to say, is this an authentic Turkish recipe? I haven't heard of a hummus like this. And just for the record, these women working in the fields don't wear veils, just a simple cotton headscarf! Politically, there's a difference! It's those ladies in Saudi Arabia that wear veils....

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

I haven't been by much either Mary, but I just so happened to catch your post in my reader before I refreshed it & had to come see these! I sure love the sound of an onion scone - perfect for soup or chili (if we ever get some nice cold air down here). Yum!!

annies home said...

sound like they would go great with many meals that I prepare thanks for sharing come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

I could imagine eating this with every meal my friend :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Tricia @ saving room for dessert said...

Well the photo is gorgeous enough but your description sounds wonderful! I have so much catching up to do on your blog - I've been MIA at my son's wedding for a while - lots of out of town company. Such fun but looking forward to getting into my own kitchen again soon!

Joanne said...

These scones sound like they would elevate just about any meal!

Cindy said...

Sorry for the bad day in the kitchen. But...scones are my favorite food group and these look delicious. I'll try them soon.

Blond Duck said...

They look so fluffy!

Jeff @ Cheeseburger said...

I love scones and I haven't tried onion scones yet. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

tender b. said...

The idea of onion scones really makes me want to head back out to the kitchen.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly