Friday, October 5, 2012

Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I'd like you to close your eyes and imagine you've just had a bite of a loaded baked potato. There is, of course, the flavor and texture of that lovely potato, but can you also taste the butter and bacon and onion and cheese that smother it? Believe it or not, chef Gina DiLeone-Dodd has been able to capture all those flavors in a soup that comes together in a slow cooker. I must admit I was dubious about this recipe, but I was drawn to its simplicity and egged on by the hope that something this simple to make could actually deliver the flavors my memory brought to mind. So, I dutifully peeled a boatload of potatoes, nearly enough to feed the entire Fifth Army, threw them into my slow cooker and let nature take its course. At the appointed hour, I uncovered the pot and added the butter and cream and threw some salt over my shoulder for luck, because a taste at this point gave no indication of how this soup was going to get from here to there. Twenty minutes later, I gave it another taste and was still disappointed. Then a kitchen miracle occurred. The addition of the bacon and onions took the soup to a whole nother level and the finished pot really did taste like a loaded baked potato, one that you would actually enjoy eating. I did not puree the soup because I wanted it to retain some texture and I thought the remaining chunks would enhance the potato flavor as they hit the tongue. The recipe for this soup first appeared in the cookbook, Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker, written by Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufmann. It's a great book for those who use their slow cookers a lot. This is a nice recipe to have on hand when those cold north winds begin to blow. I do hope you will try this inexpensive and almost effortless soup. Here's the recipe.

Baked Potato Soup...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Gina DiLeone-Dodd as featured in Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker

Ingredients:
5 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup sour cream (don't use nonfat)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 ounces bacon, cooked until crisp, drained on paper towels and crumbled
6 green onions (white and green parts), sliced, or 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives

Directions:
1) Put potatoes in the slow cooker and add water to cover. Cover and cook on HIGH until potatoes are cooked and falling apart, about 5 hours.
2) Turn cooker to LOW; add butter, half-and-half and sour cream, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until hot, about 20 minutes.
3) Stir in the crumbled bacon and sliced green onions. Serve immediately, or keep warm on LOW, adding milk or water to thin, if necessary. Yield: 12 servings.







One Year Ago Today: Corn and Red Pepper Orzo












Two Years Ago Today: Chocolate Zucchini Cake















Three Years Ago Today: Irish Barnbrack for  Halloween

25 comments :

David said...

Mary, This is a great recipe for Potato (Comfort) Soup. I would add one thing. We would use Benton's Bacon...it's smoky flavor would really pop the soup while the other ingredients would smooth out the power of Benton's bacon. Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

My Unfinished Life said...

yummmmmmmmm

i love potato..but i dont eat bacon..so is there bacon free version...??

http://sushmita-smile.blogspot.in/

Alessandra said...

Potatoes cooked in a slow cooker... never tried them, but must be good!

Ciao
Alessandra

Life's a shoe said...

yumyum!

Ana Regalado said...

Simple , hearty comfort food ! Love this flavorsome soup .....

Lilli said...

it looks so good Mary! kisses!

Salsa Verde said...

Dear Mary,
Thanks for sharing this fantastic recipe with us!!
Cheers and hope you have a fabulous weekend,
Lia.

Kim said...

Never had just-potatoes soup. This looks really good, Mary! have a nice week-end!

Unknown said...

I was just on another blog that posted something about soup... now I know it MUST get cooler here... I can't wait to try this. And I too, love the simplicity of this. Thanks for sharing, Mary!

Diane said...

Mmmmm this makes me hungry. Keep well Diane

From the Kitchen said...

I did close my eyes and steaming bowls (mugs for game day) of this soup flitted across the inside of my lids. We are due for some chilly and blustery days around here. I think your soup will take my mind off the fact that tomato season is over--gone--and needing to be replaced.

Best,
Bonnie

Unknown said...

Great recipe. Thank you for sharing. Exede

Catherine said...

Dearest Mary, What a delicious and hearty fall soup. It is perfect for the chilly weather coming.
Blessings dear friend. Catherine xo

Lori E said...

I have only had potato soup in high school at my friends house. Her family is Polish and their tasty soup was finished off with a bit of vinegar.
This will bring back some good memories for me.

CQUEK said...

looks so fresh, inviting & delicious...mouthwatering!

Tricia @ saving room for dessert said...

Yum - so incredibly perfect!

Judy@Savoring Today said...

It is definitely soup time around our house, potato soup is one of my favorites. This bowl looks and sounds so comforting and satisfying!

Bites from life with the barking lot said...

I'd like this for a midnight snack!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

The soup sounds wonderfully comforting, Mary! 5 lbs of potatoes is a lot of peeling. I'll get my dear hubby to help!

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

very amazing soup! I love the loaded potato that creamy bowl is calling my name!

Sue/the view from great island said...

My crock pot is raring to go---this looks like a great recipe to ease it into constant use for the season!

Unknown said...

Delicious! And perfect for those cold winter days coming up! YUM! Soups like this make the cold weather much more tolerable!

Veronica Miller said...

YESSS! I love using my slow cooker and this sounds so delish!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

I love potato soup though am not sure if I am patient enough for it cook in a slow cooker ;)

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Shug said...

Pulling a little Racheal Ray on us here...throwing the salt over your shoulder...
In my opinion....can't beat Potato Soup.
Hugs

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly