Friday, December 21, 2012

Fast and Fabulous Fresh Salmon Croquettes




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...If you are looking to expand your collection of quick and easy recipes, you might want to give these salmon croquettes a try. I think you'll be delightfully surprised. They bear no resemblance to the canned salmon cakes that were so much a part of our collective childhood. I found the recipe years ago in a copy of Cuisine at Home that I was reading while waiting to see my dentist. They looked delicious, so while no one was looking, I tore the page out. Now, I only do that when the magazine I'm reading is over a year old. I work on the theory that if the stack of old magazines gets thin and ragged enough, they'll be forced to provide newer reading material. Sometimes it works. At any rate, the photo of these salmon cakes lured me to the fish market and we ended up having them for supper. We've had them many times since. I hope you, too, will give them a try. They are easy to make and quite tasty. I have only one caution to share with those of you who do decide to make them. Canned salmon does not work well in this recipe, so please don't be tempted to use it. It lacks the texture of its fresh cousin and the canned variety makes a mealy cake that will disappoint you. Fresh salmon makes an enormous difference. Here's the recipe.

Fresh Salmon Croquettes...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Cuisine at Home

Ingredients:
1 cup panko
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 egg white
1 tablespoon hot sauce (Sriracha preferred)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound fresh salmon, skinless, diced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions:
1) Process panko, celery, cilantro, onion, egg white, sriracha, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a food processor until the vegetables are minced.
2) Combine salmon with vegetable mixture, then form it into 8 (1/3-cup) cakes on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Lightly press into 1-inch thick patties, cover, and chill for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
3) Heat oil in an ovenproof sauté pan over medium-high. Add cakes and fry for 2 minutes per side, or until browned. Transfer pan to the oven and cook cakes through, 2-4 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.








One Year Ago Today: Cotriade - A Fish Stew From Burgundy














Two Years Ago Today: Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles















Three Years Ago Today: Over-Night Walnut Coffee Cake

15 comments :

Angie's Recipes said...

Mary, these salmon croquettes look exquisite!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh yum!!! I have never even made the canned kind yet, but would love to taste any kind. I know yours are THE best!

Coleens Recipes said...

I live where there is tons of salmon and would you believe I've never even THOUGHT of using fresh salmon for salmon cakes? I've always dismissed them because I've had terrible ones (with canned salmon). What a great idea!! Merry Christmas friend!!!

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

We rarely get the chance to eat salmon, this would be gorgeous!
Duncan In Kuantan

Alicia Foodycat said...

Those look really good! One of the best uses for a smart phone I have found is taking photos of recipes at the doctor's surgery.

Ειρήνη said...

great!so delicious!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

These do look easy and delicious.

Our dentist office has a sign ... that if you find a recipe or idea you want in one of their magazines, they would be happy to make a copy for you. Nice touch.

Fondly,
Glenda

Unknown said...

Oh good, I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one that has torn a recipe out of a magazine at my doctor's office!! lol
The plating of these croquettes make them look even more appetizing than they already are!! I bet they were absolutely delicious!

Kim said...

These croquettes looks perfect!

Unknown said...

Yum Mary, these do sound much better than the salmon cakes from days gone by!

Tanna said...

Whoa! Now, these are "not your momma's salmon croquettes"!! I think I would love these! Mary, wishing you and yours the warmest, most joy-filled Christmas ~ tanna

Daniela Grimburg said...

Mary,these Salmon croquettes look so delicious, just perfect for the Holiday Season!
ambassadorstable.blogspot.co.a

France@beyondthepeel said...

These look lovely and perfect for the holidays.

Big Dude said...

These babies look and sound fantastic Mary

David said...

Mary, Thanks for the recipe. My wife and I were just talking about making Salmon croquettes last night. Timing is everything! Merry Christmas! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly