Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Glazed Lemon Cream Scones with Crystallized Ginger
































From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Scones are among my favorite treats. They're easy to prepare, and even in their most basic state, they make an irresistible accompaniment to a steaming pot of coffee or tea. They're at their best, however, when imaginations run wild and creative cooks, using a bit of this or that, come up with flavor combinations that make their scones truly unique. Today's recipe was developed by Aimee Olexy for Food and Wine magazine and it is truly unique. When I first saw the recipe, I must admit I was underwhelmed, but I had an unused bag of crystallized ginger and I thought this would be as good a place as any to use it up. It was fortuitous happenstance. It took all of twenty minutes to make these scones and I suspect they are well on their way to becoming a family favorite. They are light, lemony and moist and have that soft texture that one expects in a creamed scone. If you enjoy mildly sweet European pastry, I think you, too, will love these gems and make them often, I know I will. Here's how they are made.

Glazed Lemon Cream Scones with Crystallized Ginger...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Aimee Olexy and Food and Wine magazine

Ingredients:
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
2 cups confectioners’ sugar

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2) In a bowl, whisk flour with granulated sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and salt.
3) Using a wooden spoon, stir cream and 2 tablespoons of  lemon juice into dry ingredients. Fold in crystallized ginger.
4) On a lightly floured work surface, gently knead dough just until it comes together. Pat into a 9-inch round, a scant 1/2 inch thick. Cut dough into 8 wedges and arrange them 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet.
5) Bake scones for 20 to 25 minutes, until slightly firm and lightly browned on bottom but pale on top. Let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
6) In a medium bowl, whisk confectioners’ sugar with remaining 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons of lemon juice until glaze is smooth. Drizzle  lemon glaze over the scones and let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 scones.







One Year Ago Today: Nutella and Hazelnut Fudge













Two Years Ago Today: Grilled Lamb Chops with Pomegranate Sauce
















Three Years Ago Today: Ravioli with Smoked Salmon and Vodka Cream Sauce

28 comments :

Pondside said...

These have 'Sunday Afternoon' written all over them!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I did not know that scones are this easy to make!

Katarina said...

I love scones and could eat them every day :)

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Hi Mary,

I don't know why I keep visiting your blog - it just makes me hungry, hungry, hungry!
Duncan In Kuantan

Coleens Recipes said...

My mother was from England and she would have loved these.

Camila Ely said...

Oooh these sound delicious! I recently tried a vanilla bean recipe for scones. I can't believe how easy they were to make that I was hooked. I'll be trying this soon, thanks for sharing!

Camila Ely said...

Ooooh these look tasty! I'll be trying this recipe soon. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I've always hear people say scones are so hard to make.. they can go from perfect to awful in a matter of seconds.... I'm going with your version, then - seems much easier and I adore lemon glazed anything!

Kim said...

When I went to Boston, I had a scone with lemon and cristallized ginger at Flour, a pastry shop. And I LOVED it. I'm bookmarking this recipe right after I finish this comment. Love this recipe Mary!

Leslie said...

Scones are some of my favorite treats too!!!! These look bright and cheery!

Anonymous said...

lemon and ginger are such a lovely combination - a beautiful treat!
Mary x

Diane said...

These sound very yummy. Happy New Year. Diane

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

Lemon and ginger sound like a wonderful combination for scones. Perfect in the afternoon with a cup of tea.

Tricia @ saving room for dessert said...

Those look like the PERFECT treat! I think lemon is perfect in almost anything. Very nice - this is going on my list :)

From the Kitchen said...

Thank you, Mary, for your week of posts. What a daunting task but I'm sure you opened a few eyes. I sent some of my less socially concerned friends over to your blog and I hope it made a difference.

If the scones are as good as they look, I want a couple.

Best,
Bonnie

pam said...

I should probably try scones, the most adventuresome I ever get with baking is biscotti.

Rumana Rawat said...

Hello Mary.. This is looking very tasty..

David said...

Mary, We love scones...and glazed lemon scones with that special ginger bite sound like real winners! Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

France@beyondthepeel said...

Yes please. Those look amazing!

Joanne said...

The lemon ginger combo is one of my favorites! These sound great!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Scones are a favourite and with lemon and ginger they would be a new favourite.

Unknown said...

Me too! I love scones! These lemony ones would be delicious!

QembarDelites said...

I love the versatility of scones too, and they are very easy to prepare! I know I would love these scones of yours too!

My Little Space said...

I'm sure I'm going to love these. Yummmm....

lindalou said...

Your scones look delicious and pretty.

Carole said...

Thanks for linking this in to Food on Friday. Have a great week.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I'm with you, Mary, as I love a good scone. I love trying new flavors and these sound delish!!

tender b. said...

Great idea to pair lemon with ginger.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly