Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Crispy Fish Sticks with Broccoli-Carrot Slaw and Sweet Chili Sauce




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I found this recipe in Family Circle magazine over a year ago and I clipped it with the intention of testing it at some point during Lent. I want the book of life to note that I did get to it, albeit a year later than I had intended. The recipe caught my eye because the fish sticks looked appealingly crunchy and the breading used to coat them contained cornflakes as well as flour and bread crumbs. I was curious to see if the cornflakes would improve the texture of the fish sticks, which are baked rather than fried. They do. The recipe is figure friendly and it is a significant improvement on what would normally be a highly caloric meal. I'm happy to report that the fish sticks are terrific when prepared this way. I served them with a low-calorie broccoli slaw which is always a nice foil for fish. It takes about 30 minutes to assemble the various elements of this meal. The recipe is simple and those of you who fast and abstain during Lent might want to give this easy meal a try. Here's the recipe.

Crispy Fish Sticks with Coleslaw and Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Family Circle magazine

Ingredients:
1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup corn flake crumbs
3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 pound tilapia or cod fillets, cut into 1/2 x 3-inch strips
1/2 cup Thai-style sweet red chili sauce
1 scallion, chopped

Directions:

1) Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and coat with nonstick cooking spray.
2) Whisk together bread crumbs, corn flake crumbs and seasoned salt in a shallow dish. Place flour in a second dish and egg whites in a third dish.
3) Coat each fish strip with flour, dip in egg white and coat with bread crumb mixture. Place on prepared pan.
4) Coat breaded fish sticks with cooking spray. Bake at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
5) Combine chili sauce and scallion. Serve fish sticks with the chili dipping sauce and Broccoli-Carrot Slaw. Yield: 4 servings.

Broccoli-Carrot Slaw
In a large bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon sugar. Add 1 bag (12 ounces) broccoli slaw, 1/2 cup shredded carrots and and 2 sliced scallions and toss to coat with dressing. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.













One Year Ago Today: Shrimp Creole














Two Years Ago Today: Irish Whole Meal Soda Bread 














Three Years Ago Today: Popovers with Strawberry Butter















Four Years Ago Today: Moroccan Chicken

25 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

These look really, really, crunchy and crisp!

Angie's Recipes said...

This would make a great weekend dinner for me. Love crisp encrusted fish sticks...they go so well with the fresh crunchy slaw.

Big Dude said...

Looks like an excellent way to get crispy fish without the fat. I've only had the fried version with cornflakes and it's nice to have a healthier alternative. Thanks for posting it.

Alicia Foodycat said...

They do look good. I have a soft-spot for fishfingers.

Debbie said...

Thanks for posting this.....trying to not eat meat anymore so I'm looking for more fish and vegetable recipes. Love the fish sticks!

Kim said...

This is the kind of meal that I would like to serve here on a week night!

Unknown said...

Now this is a meal Chris would go wild over (he's still a kid most times when it comes to the foods he likes)!! And I'm loving that it's baked and not fried. I have used cornflakes before as a coating and it ranks right up there with Panko in my book... maybe even higher!

Ramakant Pradhan said...

Looks delicious. Will have to try the recipe sometime.

Sprigs of Rosemary said...

A Lenten Friday's coming up and I'm always on the hunt for something new. (Mr. Rosemary loves teriyaki salmon best. I like it, too, but not every time we eat fish!) This is Friday dinner!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I have been looking for a fish stick recipe for next weeks menu Mary and here it is.

Tricia @ saving room for dessert said...

Figure friendly - love it! They do look crunchy and very tasty. I too have a pile of recipes clipped long ago - so many recipes so little time!

Unknown said...

Super-crispy!!!!

David said...

Mary, I've had the broccoli-carrot slaw before and I really like it. We don't do fish much at home but this sounds simple enough that even I couldn't mess it up! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Claudia said...

Now, that's a fish stick! Saving - because we do like our fish sticks with real fish and crunch!

SKIP TO MALOU said...

It looks crispy and picture perfect. Im happy for you that you were able to cook it, never mind if it's a year later, at least you got it right being Lent.
Enjoy the rest of the week!
Malou

Catherine said...

Hello Dear Mary, This sounds delicious and figure friendly too. I just love a meal like this.
I look forward to getting my kitchen put together and joining in on the cooking. Take care and blessings, Catherine xo

teresa said...

i love homemade fish sticks, these look sooo good! excellent dish!

Leah @ foodforthefresh said...

This looks like a great combo! Want to make soon!!

linksdistodaquilo said...

You must be delicious!
Kiss.
Nita

Barbara F. said...

Just bought a bag of broccoli slaw, will try your dressing. Will try the fish too. xo

Arlene Delloro said...

These look wonderful, Mary. I have good intentions of eating more fish. Maybe with a breaded, albeit not fried preparation, I will do just that!

QembarDelites said...

I like the fact that these are baked...and the coleslaw sounds crunchy and delicious!

Melinda said...

Yummy! I bet this is good!

M :)

Blond Duck said...

So much better than the freezer ones my mom made!

Prema said...

super tempting recipe!!Healthy one...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly