Sunday, March 3, 2013

Mocha Macaroons





From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I recently began a search for some new adult cookies. It began with a request to contribute cookies to a bake sale where they were trying to avoid a glut of the usual suspects, oatmeal, peanut butter and chocolate chip. I was able to find several that were keepers and over the course of the next few weeks I'll be sharing them with you. I wanted to start with these mocha macaroons. These lovely meringue-like morsels are bound to please those of you who have a sweet tooth. While  the use of almond paste makes them expensive to prepare, these cookies are quite simple to make and they are distinctly different from most of the offerings you'll find on a standard tea tray. The cookies come together in about 15 minutes, but they need to be chilled for at least an hour before baking, so you'll have to plan your time accordingly. The cookies are worth waiting for. I hope you will give them a try. Here is how they are made.

Mocha Macaroons...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Odense

Ingredients:
1 (7 oz.) tube almond paste, grated
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
2 tablespoons flour
Pinch salt
2 large egg whites (no larger)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1) Combine almond paste, sugar, cocoa, espresso powder, flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix with an electric mixer on low speed until ingredients are sand-like in texture.
2) Add egg whites and vanilla. Beat on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes, or until a smooth paste forms. Cover and chill dough for at least 1 hour.
3) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment. Drop dough by a scant tablespoon measure onto cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until firm on top and crackled. Cool on wire rack. Store in an airtight container. Best if eaten within 3 days. Yield: 2 dozen cookies.

Cook's Note : Dough can be chilled up to 24 hours.








One Year Ago Today: Bratwurst with Beer and Cabbage















Two Years Ago Today: PDG Cinnamon Rolls














Three Years Ago Today: Julia Child's English Muffins














Four Years Ago Today: Chimichurri Turkey Burgers

15 comments :

Merisi in Vienna said...

Your cookie tray sure is every bake sale organizer's dream!

Katarina said...

Beautiful cookies!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

I've never tried to make macaroons myself, but this sounds quite easy. I love the mocha flavoring - happy to be an adult for these!

Sue/the view from great island said...

Oh Mary these look amazing. I've never been tempted to make the fancy, fussy type of macaroon, but I've always loved the flavor, and I just happen to have a couple of tubes of almond paste in my cupboard. These look simple and delicious, thanks!

QembarDelites said...

Oh my, I do have a very sweet tooth and these macaroons are calling out to me! Lovely!

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Mary, you had me at almond paste!! Looking forward to the cookies you will blog about in the future.

Angie's Recipes said...

I love mocha flavour! These cookies look divine, Mary.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Hi! Just came over from Tomatoes on the Vine! I'm your newest follower!

My husband loves macaroons, so this will be a special treat for him!

Thank you and have a great week!

Mary

Pam said...

Ummmm! You had me at macaroons and chocolate! Have a good day, Mary!

Joanne said...

Almond macaroons have the best flavor! these sound so tasty!

Chiara said...

this sounds easy to make !Have a good week,blessings...

Diane said...

Mmmm those do sound quite delicious. Have a great week, Diane

Daniela Grimburg said...

Mary, these cookies look beautiful and I'm sure they taste as good as they look!

Susan Lindquist said...

I am so intimidated by macaroons ... you make the recipe and technique sound doable! Thank you, Mary! It sure is a pretty plate of cookies!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

They sound amazing and very grownup Mary with their coffee flavour.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly