Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Gratineed Leeks



My Thought for the Day can be found, here. If you like it, give us a thumbs up and share it with your friends.

From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Leeks come close to over-taking our farm stands at this time of year. That abundance guarantees reasonable prices,and, I must admit, that I'm a gal who can't resist a bargain. That's how I ended up with 12 leeks in the refrigerator that were in a state that demanded they soon be used. I had scads of recipes that used a leek or two, but  none that used them in quantity. That set me on one of my famous search and destroy missions, looking for a recipe that would restore some kind of order to my refrigerator without relegating the leeks to the compost heap. I found it in a most unlikely of places, a unique blog called Naturally Knocked Up. Other than to tell you there is nothing prurient to be found there, I'll let you wander over to find how and why the blog got its name. You will, coincidentally, find a bevy of wonderful recipes that will delight the  palate as well as the  eye. This recipe comes from that blog  and it immediately appealed to me because my family loves beef of the standing rib variety to be served with stuffed onions. I had a roast planned for the weekend  and while my stuffed onions, found here, are delicious, they are a considerable amount of work to prepare.  I thought the leeks would make a perfect, near effortless substitute. What took me by surprise was how very good this simple substitution turned out to be.  I suspect they will be edging out my onions on our holiday table.  The leeks are best served hot from the oven, but they can be assembled hours before you plan to serve them. This is a wonderful side to serve with baked or grilled meat. I suspect you'll find the recipe as addictive as I have. Here's how the leeks  are made. 

Gratineed Leeks...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Donielle at Naturally Knocked Up

Ingredients:
6 large leeks washed and cut in half
1/2 cup chicken stock
salt and pepper
1/2 cup Gruyere cheese (kinda pricey – a nice aged cheddar would work great too)
1/4 cup Parmesan
2 tablespoons butter

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Wash leeks thoroughly to remove all dirt. Slice in half vertically down the leek. Lay leeks cut side up in a baking dish and pour stock over them. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover baking dish with foil.
3) Bake until leeks are tender, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle cheeses over top, dot with butter. Place under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes, or until top is golden brown. until the top is golden brown, 2-3 min. Serve hot. Yield: 4 servings.

Follow Me on Pinterest







One Year Ago Today: Grape Flognarde















Two Years Ago Today: Fresh Broccoli Salad with Tomatoes, Olives and Feta Cheese














Three Years Ago Today: Strawberry Panna Cotta














Four Years Ago Today: Tunisian Semolina Bread

11 comments :

Suresh Urs said...

Nice post the recipe is of different kind thanks. CLickfoodsnearme

Ginny Hartzler said...

An interesting blog for sure. I have often substituted green onions for leeks, but that would not work for this recipe. It dies look GOOD and maybe even kids would eat it!

Manu said...

Oh this is such a great recipe; I've never cooked gratineed leeks even if I really love cheese and leeks...
I'l give it a go.
Thanks for sharing.
Have a nice day

What's next said...

I love leeks, I need to try that!

Unknown said...

I love leeks.. and this is a great way to jazz them up! Can't wait to try this and all it's cheesy goodness!!

Unknown said...

I have to admit, I'm a bit jealous that you can find leeks for cheap! They're always so expensive in my markets as if they were some fancy gourmet treat. I love your recipe, will be on the lookout for bargain leeks!

Susan Lindquist said...

I'm with Chris ... leeks, while totally delish are always pretty pricey here in the Northeast. That being said, farmers markets may bring some deals when the leeks are being harvested and I would imagine that one could use ramps for this recipe also ... a nice vegetable side that is different and delish!

Kim said...

I love leeks but I tend to cut these small and to incorporate these in some recipes (soups, stews, sautes...) I love this idea!

Joanne said...

That melty cheese on top has stolen my heart! What a gorgeous way to enjoy leeks!

Ashley said...

I love dishes like this that take ingredients that are usually overshadowed by other things and put them in the spotlight. Beautiful!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Mary, not sure how I missed this post last month, but I just now found it through Jenn's post. I love leeks, and this sounds fabulous!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly