Saturday, June 1, 2013

Carrot Salad



My Thought for the Day can be found, here. If you like it, give us a thumbs up and share it with your friends.

From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...There are so many excellent recipes for barbecue and summer grills, that I've decided not to muddy the waters, and, plan instead, to devote my energy to the sides and desserts that pull summer barbecues together. I wanted to start with this lovely carrot salad that has several things to commend it. To wit, it is easy, inexpensive and delicious. The recipe was developed by Bobby Flay and I think you'll enjoy this simple, colorful salad. It is made with large carrot coins that are dressed with a refreshing cumin-scented lemon dressing. It is important to make the dressing while the carrots cook. You'll want it ready to go once the carrots have been sliced and are still warm. The warm carrots better absorbed the dressing and the salad will be more flavorful if it dressed while it is hot. The salad can be served cold or at room temperature. I prefer room temperature. This is such a nice refreshing salad that I really hope all of you will give it a try. Here is how it's made.

Carrot Salad...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Bobby Flay and The Food Network

Ingredients:
6 large carrots, peeled
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt, plus more for water
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

Directions:
1) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add whole carrots and cook until just cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and cut carrots into 1/2-inch thick slices.
2) Whisk together lemon juice, garlic, cumin, cayenne, and salt in a large bowl. Slowly drizzle in olive oil until emulsified and stir in parsley. Add warm cooked carrots and toss to combine. Serve cold or at room temperature. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

Follow Me on Pinterest







One Year Ago Today: Queen of Sheba Cake















Two Years Ago Today: Butterscotch and Walnut Brownies















Three Years Ago Today: Caramelized Onion, Blue Cheese and Walnut Pizza

















Four Years Ago Today: Blue Lemonade

12 comments :

David said...

Mary, This is a perfect way for me to convince my better half to eat her carrots! I love carrots and this salad looks great... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have never seen a salad all carrots like this, but it does look simple and really good.

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Carrots have been flavoured perfectly :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

~~louise~~ said...

Good morning Mary and Happy June! What a lovely carrot salad. It does sound very refreshing and yet I just never think to whip up carrot salads during the summer months. That will need to change:)

Thank you so much for sharing...

P.S. I've been meaning to get over here to let you know I have rejoined the world of blogging. Drop by if you get a moment.

Tanna said...

This carrot salad sounds like a perfect addition to summer meals, Mary!! Thank you! blessings ~ tanna

Sutapa said...

simple yet delicious carrot salad..it will add vibrant color...love it...

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

This sounds absolutely perfect to me. We really need to eat more carrots.

Velva said...

I really enjoy carrot salad and I never thought about just slicing the carrots rather than shredding them. This looks awesome.


Velva

Unknown said...

This would be so perfect for a summer picnic but I can see enjoying this year long!

Kim said...

I love this morrocan side dish!

From the Kitchen said...

I just got a bargain on organic carrots at Whole Foods (yes, one can get a bargain at W.F.). I have enough for carrot cupcakes and your delicious- sounding carrot salad. Wishing you a good weekend!

Best.
Bonnie

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Sliced carrots make a very tempting salad.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly