Thursday, June 13, 2013

New-Fashioned Potato Salad with Radishes and Sweet Pickle Relish


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...My first cookbooks were Farm Journal and Better Homes and Gardens. Though both are grease strained and have broken spines, I've held on to them for sentimental reason. They've traveled with me from a basement apartment to the house on the hill and I am wont to part with them. Last year, Food and Wine magazine published a recipe for an old-fashioned potato salad that was similar to the ones in those two old books. Certain changes had been made to reflect healthier lifestyles, but the recipe was much like an encounter with an old friend. To be sure, the amount of mayonnaise had been scaled way back and the eggs had completely disappeared, but the relish, which was a hallmark of Midwestern potato salad, was still there. Radishes had been added to the salad for crunch and the new version contained some heat which came from smoked paprika and cayenne pepper. Last week I was working on salads that could be served at barbecues and picnics and I thought that with a simple change this recipe would be a perfect fit. I swapped an eggless salad dressing for the mayonnaise in their recipe and proceeded, using the remainder of the specified ingredients and their directions. The salad is very nice and I know those of you who like potato salad will enjoy it. I do, however, have one suggestion to share with you. I don't like water logged potatoes. I think they make potato salad goopy and in order to avoid that, I use the microwave to cook them. I film the bottom of a large microwaveable dish with water, then add the potatoes and cook them for 10 to 15 minutes on high power, or until they can be easily impaled and slowly slip back off the fork. Potatoes cooked this way cube beautifully and make the salad more attractive. The original recipe appears below. I do hope you'll give it a try. Here is how the salad is made.

Potato Salad with Radishes and Sweet Pickle Relish...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Food and Wine magazine

Ingredients:
3 pounds medium Yukon Gold potatoes, halved but not peeled
Salt
1/2 cup salad dressing
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 red radishes, 1/3-inch dice
3 celery ribs, cut into 1/3-inch dice
1/2 medium red onion, cut into1/3-inch dice

Directions:
1) Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Add a teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Cook over moderately high heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain  potatoes and return them to  pot. Shake pot over moderately high heat for about 10 seconds to dry potatoes. Transfer potatoes to a large rimmed baking sheet and let cool completely. Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch pieces.
2) Blend salad dressing with relish, vinegar, mustard powder, paprika, black pepper, cayenne, radishes, celery and onion in a large bowl. Gently fold in potatoes and season with salt. Refrigerate potato salad for at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve cold or lightly chilled. Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

Make Ahead The potato salad can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.

If you like this post, please share it with your friends and remember to link to our "Thought for the Day" on facebook. :

Follow Me on Pinterest    








One Year Ago Today: Chicken Pilaf















Two Years Ago Today: Zuppa Bastarda













Three Years Ago Today: Cherry and Almond Torte














Four Years Ago Today: Watermelon and Watercress Salad with Ginger

10 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love trying new potato salad recipes and will PIN this one. I always thought cooking cubed potatoes in the microwave would make them rubbery, guess not. Do you cover them?

Lynn said...

I know I'd love this potato salad Mary! Adding relish would be new to me and I'm very fond of pickles:@)

From the Kitchen said...

This is the potato salad I grew up on--especially the sweet pickle relish--in Virginia (far from the midwest).
The Polish version found around Chicago doesn't have the relish but manages a sweet and sour dish. Both versions do have the chopped, hard-boiled egg.

Disclaimer: I didn't come home to clean the windows. I came home to cleaned windows. I'm letting most people continue to think I actually cleaned them though. Much less decadent!!

Best,
Bonnie

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I still hold onto my Farm Journal and BHG cookbooks, too, Mary! The potato salad looks tasty and I like your tip on cooking the potatoes.

Tanna said...

I was hankering for a new side dish to smoked chicken for this weekend! thank you, Mary! Have a wonderful weekend. blessings ! tanna

David said...

Mary, My better half would love this potato salad, but I've never cared much for cold potato anything. I'll copy the recipe for my wife and our summer time house guests... Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

decocinasytacones said...

Oh my gosh!..I can´t believe you made a potato salad with radishes...you´ll see mine in my next post, I made it as a side dish of Wellington chicken breasts....
It was delish!!!.
Love and have a great day....I finish my classes today so I´ll be on holidays in 15 minutes
Marialuisa

Deana Sidney said...

I don't use radishes nearly enough and just happen to have some in the fridge... great little potato salad recipe to use them with... now to make radish green soup one of these days. Evidently popular in France during tough times....

Anonymous said...

Delicious - lovely ingredients - interesting about the cooking of the potatoes in the microwave - great tip!
Mary x

Unknown said...

This sounds wonderful and I love your microwave trick!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly