Saturday, June 22, 2013

Sweet Barbecue Sauce


Follow Me on Pinterest      
From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...One of the lovelier aspects of summer are those informal family picnics and barbecues that bring young and old together in a stress-free environment that everyone can enjoy. I always want the food for these occasions to be first rate, but I don't want to spend hours preparing it. In my lexicon fussing is a winter affair and I prefer to reserve the difficult and impressive meals for our winter get-togethers. Our family picnic and barbecue meal are simple and while there are generally lots of salads and side dishes, I try to serve just one main dish. That can require some finessing. The youngest at our table does not like spicy foods, so a barbecue necessitates at least two kinds of sauce to keep everyone happy. I found the recipe for this sweet barbecue sauce in Food and Wine magazine and it really is a perfect sauce for small children or adults who do not care for heat. The sauce, which is made from readily available ingredients, can be ready to use for basting in about an hour and it will keep for several days if refrigerated. If you like sweet sauces I think you'll love this one. Here is how this very simple sauce is made.

Sweet Barbecue Sauce...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Food and Wine magazine

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
Salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup apple juice
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons unsulfured molasses

Directions:

Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and a pinch of salt. Cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until richly browned, about 20 minutes. Add butter and melt. Add ketchup, brown sugar, apple juice, lemon juice, ginger and molasses. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced to 2 cups, about 25 minutes. Transfer the sauce to a blender and puree. Season with salt.







One Year Ago Today: Sticky Chicken














Two years Ago Today: Sloppy Joes














Three years Ago Today: Hawaiian Banana Bread













Four Years Ago Today: Morning Glory Petal Bread

15 comments :

Alicia Foodycat said...

That is a useful recipe, thank you!

Kim said...

This looks like a great sauce to put on every meat! I would be perfect with pork!

Tanna said...

Oh, the joys of summer barbeques... {sigh}... I prefer lots of heat, but I have some sweet little folks who will appreciate this recipe. Thank you, Mary. blessings ~ tanna

Angie's Recipes said...

Sweet and tangy..a lovely sauce, Mary.

Big Dude said...

That's the kind we eat around these parts.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to make a large batch, it sounds like the perfect sauce.
Mary x

Melinda said...

Mr. Ken would like this!

Hum????

:o)

A Paixão da Isa said...

wuau deve ser mesmo mt bom gostei mt dos ingre assim como a cor mt bonita bjs bfs

decocinasytacones said...

I´m away from home now, enjoying some vacation but my house is fuller as ever!!!, the ones who bbq are my youngest who is 22 and his 15 friends, thank God they leave me the house in completely order....I have to make this bbq sauce for them..THANKS FOR SHARING!!!
Here you have below the post I dedicated to them.
Love
Marialuisa

http://decocinasytacones.blogspot.com.es/2011/09/and-mice-will-play-when-cats-away-y.html

My Little Space said...

Good day Mary! I always wanted to make my own BBQ sauce and this came in just right on time. Looks wonderful!
Happy weekend.
Blessings, Kristy

pam said...

I love sweet barbecue sauces. And homemade is so much better than bottled!

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is quite lovely. I was thinking that is was sweet sauce just be looking at it!!! I will make it and I am also thinking of other uses for it. I have no blender or food processor, so I suppose an immersion blender might work just as well.

Ellen Whyte said...

I like mine spicy sour. But Mary, looking at this, I wondered if you had a recipe for Rosti potatoes? We used to eat these with BBQ in Indonesia and I have no idea how to make them.

Unknown said...

I can think of a zillion ways to use this yummy sauce!

TC2 said...

Nice Post. Thank You for Sharing....

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly