Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Gone Fishin' Series - Salisbury Steak







Fortunately, the kitchen in the house we've rented has escaped the cabin curse and we can actually cook in it. Last night my  girls made this old family favorite for supper.  It seems you like it as much as we do. This is the third most popular recipe on my site and it has passed the quarter million view mark. Here is the recipe for any who have missed it. This is good food people.








From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Salisbury Steak is one of the retro foods that has made a comeback in American kitchens. It was named for James Salisbury, a 19th-century physician, who prescribed it for battlefield patients who, in addition to their wounds, were suffering from digestive problems. His diet recommended serving chopped beef patties three times a day, and the oval-shaped patties, informally dubbed the poor man's steak, came to bear his name. In its purest form, the steak consists only of seasoned beef. However, frugal depression housewives and those cooking in the meat-rationed kitchens of WWII began to add extenders to the chopped beef in order to feed more people. I am no stranger to Salisbury Steak. It was a regular feature on my Mother's table and I made it in the early days of our marriage when then was more love than money. Versions of the steak that are currently popular use wine and mushrooms in the sauce that is served with the steak. The original versions of the recipes did not, for obvious reasons. A budget meal does not lend itself to auxiliary ingredients that cost more than its main components. The newer versions are delicious and I can heartily recommend them. I want, however, to share with you a really old-fashioned version of the steak. Here's the recipe.

Salisbury Steak with Caramelized Onion Gravy...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
Onion Gravy
2 large red onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups low-sodium beef broth
1/2 cup dry red wine (optional)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
Salt and pepper
Meat Patties
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup cooked white rice
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 clove minced garlic
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions:
1) To make gravy: Heat butter in a large sauté pan. Add onions and cook over medium-high heat, until onions start to brown, stirring occasionally. When onions are slightly softened and turning a deep honey brown, add 1/4 cup broth. Reduce heat, cover and continue cooking, adding more broth as needed to prevent caramelized bits at the bottom of the pan from burning. It should take at least 25 to 30 minutes to properly caramelize onions. Stir in flour and cook for about 2 minutes. Add wine and reduce by half. Stir in remaining beef broth and tomato paste. Stir in cider vinegar. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
2) To make patties: Mix ground beef, rice, egg yolk, salt, pepper, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, parsley and thyme in a bowl. Shape into 4 oval patties about 3/4-inch thick. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Sear patties about 3 minutes per side, or until a brown crust forms. Pour gravy over patties and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Serve warm with mashed potatoes or noodles. Yield: 4 Servings.

13 comments :

Alicia said...

Wow! That looks amazing! My mom loves Salisbury Steak, she would love this one!

Lynne said...

Oh wow - I came across this recipe on your site ages ago and made it exactly per your recipe. It is one of the easiest and most deliciously rewarding recipes I have made. I have since made it on a regular basis, and it went down a treat when my elderly mother came to dinner as she has trouble eating anything too chewy like steaks.

Rhodesia said...

Recipe saved, this sounds quite delicious, thanks for this one. Hope the fishing is going well Diabe

Tanna said...

I LOVE family favorites!! ;) Glad the cabin has a nice kitchen!! blessings ~ tanna

Kim said...

In a cold evening, I love these with mashed potatoes! Guilty pleasure;)

David said...

Mary, Ahh yes... Salisbury Steak. This was one of my childhood staples! While it's still very popular, I guess this dish was put in front of me too many times when I was growing up. My wife still likes it though, even though it was something that she had a lot when she was young too... Memories... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I had a craving for Salisbury Steak just the other day, and the craving has not passed.

Big Dude said...

Beautiful presentation Mary - they look scrumptious. Our neighbor is a fan but only gets the TV Dinner version from his wife, so were making for him this weekend.

Mr. & Mrs. P said...

Love Salisbury steak!! This reminds us of when our moms would make it for us.

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

These steaks look so juicy and perfect my friend, brilliant :D
Hope you enjoy your holiday!

Cheers
CCU

P.S Because of my exams, I will not be commenting for around 4 weeks - see you afterwards!

From the Kitchen said...

That's a favorite around here. I just returned today from the Cape and looked for you everywhere!! I'm sure you're having a great time. We did--despite the heat.

Best,
Bonnie

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Wow ... that is a lot of pageviews. Congrats.

Fondly,
Glenda

Keeley said...

My mom made this all the time when I was growing up. I hadn't had it in years, then she made it again when we had our baby last year. Now I've worked it into our family dinner rotation and I plan to make it again tomorrow!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly