Monday, September 16, 2013

Pumpkin and Ginger Waffles


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...These waffles make a wonderful addition to a fall or winter brunch. I came across the recipe in Country Living magazine and clipped it because it presented a great way to use opened, but unused, canned pumpkin. I had no expectations of the recipe, and it gained initial favor only because it was an efficient way to use the excess pumpkin before it went bad. As it happened, my family loved the waffles and I now make them whenever I have a quorum at my table. I served them for brunch today, along with a sage sausage that was a nice counterpoint to the spicy sweetness of the waffles. The batter is quite easy to make and the waffles can be kept warm in the oven if you want to serve everyone at the same time. Fortunately, the candied ginger that's needed to make these can be found in most large grocery stores. While they can be made without it, the candied ginger adds unique flavor to the waffles and it is worth the effort to find a source for it. I hope you will give this recipe a try. It will make your breakfast or brunch a more festive occasion and I know you will enjoy them. Here is how they are made.



Pumpkin and Ginger Waffles...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Country Living magazine

Ingredients:

1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
2 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled

Directions:

1) Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Remove 2 tablespoons of flour mixture and toss with crystallized ginger in a small bowl. Set aside.
2) Whisk eggs, buttermilk, pumpkin, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Combine with flour mixture. Stir in butter and fold in reserved crystallized-ginger mixture. Do not overmix.
3) Heat a waffle iron and make waffles, using about 1/2 cup batter per each one. Keep warm in 200 degree F oven, if desired. Yield: 5 Waffles.

If you have enjoyed your visit here, I hope you'll take a minute to...

Follow Me on Pinterest      







One Year Ago Today: Cat Skinner's Carrot Cake















Two Years Ago Today: Silver Palate Carrot Cake














Three Years Ago Today: Sizzling Southwestern Flank Steak with Creamy Salsa Verde
















Four Years Ago Today: Kartoffel Suppe - Bavarian Potato Soup

15 comments :

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert said...

What a terrific recipe! Yeah - pumpkin and waffles - that beats fried chicken and waffles any day!

Unknown said...

Mmmmmmmm...those look and sound so yummy! Especially with the sage sausage!!!

Anonymous said...

a flavor combo thats a hit everytime, yummo!

Diane said...

Another fab recipe with all the pumpkins coming on. yum yum. Keep well Diane

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I love having recipes for using up the rest of the canned pumpkin, Mary. Thank you for sharing. Your pumpkin gingerbread cake sounds wonderful and I know I'll be trying that out soon.

~~louise~~ said...

Pumpkin Waffles sound oh so good about now, Mary. The sage sausage is just perfect on the side. It really is beginning to smell like Fall.

Thank you so much for sharing...

Tanna said...

I LOVE pumpkin and ginger... and that last cake, too!!! Fall, baby! Fall. blessings ~ tanna

David said...

Mary, I've had pumpkin waffles before and they seemed a little bland. I like the addition of ginger and cinnamon as it has to add a vital pop of flavor! Thanks for the recipe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Funny, I was just thinking I need to make something with pumpkin and then I saw this post. Yummy. Bookmarking it for the weekend.

Ginny Hartzler said...

This would smell so good, really wake you up, and be so much lighter and better than just a regular waffle.

Joanne said...

These are the perfect fall breakfast!!

Angie's Recipes said...

Pumpkin and ginger...these waffles are right up my alley, Mary.
Have a wonderful day!
Angie

We Are Not Martha said...

I LOVE pumpkin and I LOVE ginger... These are such a great idea!

Sues

Cindy said...

Bring on the pumpkin in a big way! Delicious.

Kim said...

I just have to try these next weekend!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly