1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1/4 cup jarred jalapenos, drained and chopped
2 scallios, sliced thin
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
10 tablespoons unsalted butter
1) Adjust rack to center of oven and preheat to 450 degrees F.
2) Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in cheese, jalapenos and scallions and toss with fingers until coated with flour.
3) In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk and eggs and whisk until smooth.
4) Melt butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet set over medium heat. Pour all but 1 tablespoon of butter into buttermilk mixture and whisk to incorporate. Gently fold buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until combined. Mixture will be thick.
5) Scrape batter into hot skillet and smooth top. Bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 15 to 20 minutes. Let bread cool slightly in pan before removing. Best served warm. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.
If you have enjoyed your visit here, I hope you'll take a minute to...
One Year Ago Today: Applesauce Cake
Two Years Ago Today: Cornmeal Burger Buns
Three Years Ago Today: Plum Cake with Streusel Topping
Four Years Ago Today: Margarita Shrimp Salad