Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Homemade Marshmallow Fluff and a Gazillion Ways to Use It


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Imagine my embarrassment when I learned that marshmallow fluff and all things titled fluffernutter had earned their own day in our National Food Calendar. Despite nearly 2,000 posts, my blog had never referenced either of them, so I was clearly was behind the times. I decided to remedy that and use one post to atone for 5 years of neglect. If you love marshmallow fluff, you are in for a treat. I'm featuring a recipe for homemade fluff, as well as links to other blogs that have recipes where it can be used. Marshmallow cream is not difficult to make and if you follow the instructions included in the recipe below, you won't have any trouble creating a batch of your own. The recipe was developed by Shauna Sever and it appears in her book Marshmallow Madness. Here is how "'fluff" is made.

Homemade Marshmallow Fluff
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Shauna Sever

Ingredients:

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1/8 teaspoon fine salt
2 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract


Directions:
1) Stir sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt together in a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches 240 degrees F on a candy/fat thermometer.
2) Place egg whites and cream of tartar in bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Start whipping egg whites to soft peaks on medium speed. (The goal is to have the egg whites whipped and ready, waiting for your syrup to be drizzled in. If they’re whipping faster than your syrup is coming to temperature, just stop the mixer until the syrup is ready.)
3) When syrup reaches 240 degrees F, reduce mixer speed to low and slowly drizzle about 2 tablespoons of syrup into egg whites to warm them. (If you add too much syrup at once, the whites will scramble.) Slowly drizzle in remainder of syrup. Increase speed to medium high and whip until marshmallow crème is stiff and glossy, about 7 minutes. Add in vanilla and whip 2 minutes more. Use immediately or refrigerate stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

If you have enjoyed your visit here, I hope you'll take a minute to...

Follow Me on Pinterest      





Buns in My Oven: S'Mores Cupcakes




Bakeaholic Mama: Sea Salted Fluffernutter Filled Oatmeal Cookies




Buns in My Oven: Peanut Butter S'Mores Cookie Cups









Cookies and Cups: Krispie Treat Milkshake



How Sweet It Is: Chewy Chocolate Chunk Marshmallow Cookie Bars 







Shugary Sweets: Fluffernutter Rice Krispie Treats










How Sweet Eats: Homemade Snickers Bars









Cookies and Cups: Whoopie Pie Cake







How Sweet Eats: Fluffernutter Cupcakes









I Heart Eating: Fluffernutter Carmelitas







Shugary Sweets: Fluffernutter Fudge




Buns in My Oven: Hot Fudge Fluffernutter Banana Bread




The Novice Chef: FluffernutterCupcakes

10 comments :

Lynn said...

I'm surprised it calls for all pantry ingredients! Good to know, I don't use it too often but when you need it, you need it:@)

Anonymous said...

my oh my, heavenly!

My Little Space said...

Good day Mary ! How can I forget the homemade marshmallow. I've tried it once. It was so much fun making it at home and enjoying the freshly made marshmallow. All about satisfaction. >o<
Hope you're having a lovely day a head. ((hugs))
Blessings, Kristy

Alicia Foodycat said...

I've never deliberately eaten fluff, but I am glad to know it can be made of normal ingredients, not weird chemicals!

From the Kitchen said...

Ah, sweet (truly) memories. I've never tried this. I did try making marshmallows once. My family requested that I never try again. My kitchen has never been the same since!!

Best,
Bonnie

Angie's Recipes said...

I want to lick the fluff from the screen!

Daniela Grimburg said...

I've never tried home made fluff, but it looks so yummy that I will!

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, very impressive and super fluffy marshamallow fluff..

Coleens Recipes said...

Our grandson thanks you!!

Foodiewife said...

I finally made my own marshmallows, last year, and was surprised they aren't too difficult to make. I've also made Italian Meringue, which is similar to this. Buuuuuuuuut, I've never meet marshmallow fluff, and I really should-- because I've been buying it, and here I could've made it myself. Thank you for reminding me! I could eat that whole whisk worth without any shame.
Debby

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly