From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...If you are looking for something a bit special to serve for breakfast on Thanksgiving morning, you might want to give these simple seasonal scones a try. They take minutes to prepare and they are packed with the flavors you associate with the holiday, but I have one caveat to share with those of you who consider making them: The cranberry butter must be made at least an hour before you plan to serve the scones, so plan your time accordingly. Other than that, this is a straightforward recipe that will give your holiday a kick-start. I do hope you'll give them a try. Here is how they are made.
Pumpkin Scones with Cranberry Butter...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Taste of Home magazine
2 tablespoons dried cranberries
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
1 large egg
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons chopped pecans, optional
1) Place cranberries in a small bowl; add boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain and chop. In a small bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and cranberries; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2) When ready to proceed, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a large baking sheet.
2) In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pie spice, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3) In a small bowl, whisk the egg, pumpkin and milk. Add to crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in pecans if desired.
4) Turn dough onto a floured surface. Knead 10 times. Pat into an 8-inch circle. Cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with berry butter. Yield: 8 scones and 1/2 cup cranberry butter.
One Year Ago Today: Two Years Ago Today:Alfajores - Peruvian Sandwich Cookies Peanut Butter Gooey Butter Cake
Three Years Ago Today: Four Years Ago Today:Aloo Matar Rasedaa - Curried Potatoes Pfeffernusse