From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...These cookies are a rather late addition to my Christmas cookie collection. I've been making them for about ten years now and I have yet to serve them to anyone outside my family. While the cookies are not particularly attractive, they are especially delicious, and if enjoy a deep and rich mocha flavor, their appearance will not be bothersome. One bite and you'll understand why they disappear before they can be shared with friends. The recipe originally appeared in Taste of Home magazine and I have made one small change to their recipe. They roll the cookies in confectioners' sugar, while I have opted to coat them with a sugar and cocoa combination. The cookies are rolled in sugar or the sugar cocoa combination while they are still warm, so the exterior becomes goopy when it is first applied. Not to worry. It will dry and the cookies can be be stored in air-tight containers once they are no longer tacky. I do hope you'll give this fudge-like confection a try. You won't regret a moment of the 5 minutes it takes to make them. Here is the recipe.
Mocha Nut Balls...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Taste of Home magazine
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup + 1/4 cup baking cocoa, divided use
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
1 cup finely chopped toasted pecans
1) In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
2) In another bowl, whisk together flour, 1/3 cup cocoa and coffee granules. Gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in pecans. Chill for 30 to 60 minutes.
3) Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
3) Shape dough into 1-inch balls, placing them 2 inches apart apart on ungreased baking sheets.
4) Bake 14-16 minutes or until set. Cool on pans 1-2 minutes. Sift 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar together with 1/4 cup baking cocoa. Roll warm cookies in sugar mixture. Cool on wire racks. Store in an air-tight container. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
One Year Ago Today: Two Years Ago Today:Orange Cardamom Sugar Cookies Santa Lucia Crown
Three Years Ago Today: Four Years Ago Today:Holiday Breakfast Round-Up Kris Kringle Gingerbread Cakes