Thursday, April 3, 2014

Dilled Wheat Bread, Home Depot and Me


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I needed to make bread today. I've found that kneading is a great way to establish some type of equilibrium when I'm really angry, and I certainly am that today. We have had to delay our move for another week because Home Depot has not honored the terms of the agreement they made with us. The floors in our new home are all being replaced and the installation of the hardwood and carpet was supposed to have started on Monday. That didn't happen, and worst still, these folks who pride themselves on customer service have been cavalier about their scheduling error. The closing on three properties, along with scheduling of painters, tilers and movers were arranged around that date, so this has been a snafu of enormous proportion. Suffice it to say, I won't be doing any further shopping at their stores and I wanted to alert those of you who might contemplate using them for large scale construction projects, that, in my opinion, their promises and written agreements aren't worth the paper they are written on. Now on to the bread! This is a Scandinavian bread that is wonderful to use for sandwiches, particularly those that are made with fish or pork products. The loaf is well-flavored, hearty and stays moist for days. It is easy to make and I know that those of you who try it will be pleased. Here is how the bread is made.




Dilled Wheat Bread...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Taste of Home magazine

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 teaspoons dill weed
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup cream-style cottage cheese
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon butter
1 egg
2 teaspoons butter, melted
Coarse salt, optional

Directions:
1) In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, onion, yeast, dill and salt.
2) In a small saucepan, heat cottage cheese, water and 1 tablespoon butter to 120 to 130 degrees. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
3) Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
4) Punch dough down. Shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 8 x 4-inch loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
5) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
6) Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with coarse salt if desired. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).



Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                                    Older Posts


                 One Year Ago Today:                                                       Two Years Ago Today:
                Spring Vegetable Soup                                                    Lemon and Cream Cheese Pie


                 Three Years Ago Today:                                                    Four Years Ago Today: 
Peanut Butter Snack Cake with Banana Buttercream                                   Apricot Souffle


12 comments :

Lynn said...

Everything with dill catches my eye Mary, the bread sounds great:@) So sorry to hear about your moving delay, I understand your frustration.

Laka kuharica said...

I understand your frustration perfectly and usually, I react in the same way: alert the others and stop buying there. Sometimes, I have to break this second promise because here nobody honors what they promise:) Soon I shall be without places the shopping places.
This bread seems wonderful and I wonder if it would be possible to make it in a bread maker? I hate kneading, unfortunately. Thank you.

From the Kitchen said...

The loaf looks perfect--just the right amount of slapping down, punching into...er kneading!! Your floors might not be done but your bread is done to perfection!! So sorry to hear that Home Depot let you down. I've heard similar complaints.

Best,
Bonnie

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

cooking or baking is always comforting when I am upset or in need of relieving some kind of stress. Hope things get easier. Your bread looks delightful!

David said...

Mary, There are 3 retailers I don't like. Best Buy because of the way I was treated when I was trying to do business with them, Wal-Mart because I can't stand their stores or what they've done to retailing in general and Home Depot for a lack of customer service and their attitude! We like Lowe's better...and we try to use local companies with local recommendations for home projects. As for the bread, it looks great and I really like that addition of the coarse salt! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Kath said...

How frustrating, Mary! Moving is stressful enough without this from Home Depot. Pamper yourself and know that this will pass.

Allie and Pattie said...

Oh Mary- I am so sorry. Moving is such a stressful experience already and something like this just puts it over the top. For what it's worth, Ray spent his career in construction and has refused to deal with HD for years- says their customer "service" is a joke. Hope things go better and you find yourself in your beautiful new home next week. We are still waiting for a buyer and with Ray now facing a true battle, we need that buyer to appear xoxo

kitchen flavours said...

Oh dear! I hope everything will sort out soon!
Lovely loaf of bread, with very nice texture!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Big news! I totally missed that you are moving, I am sure you announced it when I was gone. So why are you moving and what is the new house like? Is it near where you live now, or far away? I will indeed, not hire Lowe's for any big projects. Fortunately for us, we have both a Lowe's and a Home Depot across the street from each other.

DemelzaPoldark said...

Mary, I can totally understand the frustration you are going through. I have quit shopping at some stores due to customer service issues as well. There are times when I have had to relent, as they are the only place to get the product that I need, but I do so reluctantly.
I love this bread recipe, I have been making a version without the whole wheat flour for years. I will leave out the dill & onion & add a cup of candied fruit to make a fruit loaf. It turns out great.
A word of warning for Laka kuharica, make sure your bread maker can handle a 3 pound loaf. This breead can rise very high & will overflow the pan in some bread makers.

Lori E said...

Their loss is our gain because look what you came up with.
I am sorry to hear about the stressful situation you find yourself in though. Moving is one of the most stressful things ever and to have it complicated by a lack of professionalism is not easy to take.

Carol at Wild Goose Tea said...

No wonder you are ANGRY. I am sorry this has transpired. Good for you for taking some positive action to let that anger flow out of your body and hopefully your heart. Looking at the slices I can see why you recommended this for sandwiches. Perfect. Gosh in fact everything is perfect about it. The color is perfect and it is perfectly shaped. Maybe this perfectness is a sign.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly