Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Home Again Home Again Dancing a Jig


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...It's happened again. I woke up this morning, the same person who went to bed last night, but everything around me had changed. It is a Kafkaesque moment commonly experienced by those who move a lot, and find their taproots were not strong enough to hold them in the place they were born. Moves come in endless varieties and are made for various reasons. Those made when you have a baby in arms and a toddler pulling at your skirts are especially difficult. They are matched only by the wrenching sever that takes you from the home in which you've raised your family to smaller quarters. The Silver Fox and I are of the generation that was frequently moved by corporations for which they worked, so we are no strangers to the process, and it's fair to say we've been around the block a time or two more than most. Those were physically easy moves that required no effort to accomplish, save for the opening of a door at both ends. Then there are moves like the one we have just finished. It has been more difficult than most, and while the best I can say is that it is over, I must also say I realized this morning that Bob and I are, however trite it may sound, really beginning the first day of the rest of our lives. I love new beginnings and their possibilities and I think I'm going to love this new life that has come my way. Stayed tuned, but before you go take a look at this recipe for carmelitas. It is a winner and the carmelitas will cure anything that ails you. That includes moving.





Oatmeal Carmelitas...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Southern Living

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats
1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, melted
1 (12-oz.) package semisweet chocolate morsels
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted (optional)
1 (14-oz.) package caramels
1/3 cup half-and-half

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan and set aside.
2) Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add butter, stirring until mixture is crumbly. Reserve half of mixture (about 2-3/4 cups). Press remaining half of mixture into bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle evenly with chocolate morsels, and, if desired, pecans.
3) Microwave caramels and half-and-half in a microwave-safe bowl at MEDIUM (50% power) 3 minutes. Stir and microwave at MEDIUM 1 to 3 more minutes or until mixture is smooth. Let stand 1 minute. Pour evenly over chocolate morsels. Sprinkle evenly with reserved crumb mixture.
4) Bake for 30 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 24 bars.

Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                                    Older Posts


                 One Year Ago Today:                                                       Two Years Ago Today:
Chopped Stteak and Mushroom Sandwich                                  Minced Lamb with Glass Noodles


                 Three Years Ago Today:                                                   Four Years Ago Today: 
        Sumarterta - Icelandic Summer Tart                                   Old-Fashioned Applesauce Cake



10 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am so glad the move went well. Yes, it is disconcerting for me to wake up anywhere except my own home. But of course, now this IS your home. We, too, have had a few changes recently that mark the next chapter of our lives.

Pondside said...

Ah, Mary, I needed to read this. I've missed a lot and will go back to see what has gone before. We are on the same path, living in a 'ready to view' house and busy looking at new places.
I wish you every happiness in your new home.

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

All the best with the new beginning Mary. I'm sure food like this will help things go very smoothly ;)

Duncan In Kuantan

Alicia Foodycat said...

I moved a lot as a child, although I did manage 8 years in one house. We've been in this place for 6 years now and I am very reluctant to consider moving! Although when we do move it will hopefully be into a property that we own, which would be brilliant.

David said...

Mary, I've lived in 34 different places although in the last 30 years or so, I've held it down to just 2 different homes. In the 4th grade, I attended 3 different schools in 3 different towns... In any case, each new beginning must be regarded as a new opportunity! As for oatmeal carmelitas, I'd never heard of them before...but they do sound great! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Penny said...

My best to you in your new digs Mary. Moving is never easy but there is that freshness in a new place.

A Sunflower Life said...

My mom just moved into her first apartment a few weeks ago after my dad passed away. I've been helping her get settled. She's excited by the new adventure but sad that Dad isn't sharing it with her. Enjoy your first days in your new home.

Susan Lindquist said...

Oh dear! Change is always a bit unsettling, but making your new home 'your own' will certainly help you feel more secure and settled ... It took us a good bit of time to feel at home in the grey cottage. Now, I feel like the roots are pretty well set ... I'll hope the same for you and your husband, Mary! Blessings!

QembarDelites said...

I am quite afraid of change I must say, I find comfort in my home. Glad you are finally settling into your new home:)

kitchen flavours said...

Lovely bars, Mary!
Wish you all the best in your new home!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly