Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Table for Two - Warm Potato Salad



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I love the ease that comes with summer cooking, but it does present some problems for smaller families. Most recipes for summer sides make enough food to feed the entire neighborhood, and unless you really, really like potato or three bean salad, their leftovers can become ponderous. The recipe I'm featuring tonight is an adaption of one that first appeared in Bon Appetit magazine. The salad, which is very pleasant, is similar to German potato salad but it contains no bacon. The Silver Fox insists that German potato salad must have bacon, so I've removed country of origin from the recipe title to please him. In addition to reducing the quantity of ingredients used in its preparation, I've substantially changed the way the recipe is made, and use a microwave to make the dish faster to assemble. It can be table ready in about 20 minutes. I suspect that those of you in the small family category will really like this salad, but I must admit to a personal prejudice. I'm a mayonnaise kind of gal and I miss its presence in my salad. If you have a small batch recipe for a mayonnaise-type salad, I hope you'll share it with me. It would be appreciated. In the meantime, here is how this fast and easy, warm potato salad is made.



Warm Potato Salad...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by Bon Appetit magazine

Ingredients:
1 pound bite-size waxy potatoes, halved if larger than a mouthful
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 scallions, sliced
1 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, toasted

Directions:
1) Place potatoes in a large microwave container. Film bottom of container with water and cover. Cook on High power for 5 to 8 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and can be easily pierced with tip of a knife. Drain and transfer to a medium bowl.
2) Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in vinegar. Add to potatoes along with scallions, dill, and caraway seeds. Toss, crushing potatoes slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 2 to 3 servings.


Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                                    Older Posts


                 One Year Ago Today:                                                     Two Years Ago Today:
       Not Yo' Mamma's Franks and Beans                          Chocolate and Peanut Butter Snack Cake

              Three Years Ago Today:                                                 Four Years Ago Today: 
  Savory Asparagus and Goat Cheese Tart                                      Gobi Manchurian Fritters

5 comments :

Alicia Foodycat said...

I do love a potato salad! Warm with vinegar, cold with mayo, any which way!

Chef Mimi said...

Beautiful! I love both kinds of potato salad, so I just alternate!!! I find the caraway seeds a very interesting addition!

A Sunflower Life said...

I'm with you in that I prefer mayo-based potato salads, but this one sure looks good!I'll have to branch out and give it a try.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wonder why all warm potato salads are called German? Seems the Germans must never have eaten it cold!

Barbara said...

I like bacon in my German Potato salad too...but this looks good, Mary.
I don't know about small batch potato salads, but I posted one this week, imagine you could make as little or as much as you want.
Have a wonderful week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly