Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Cinnamon Swirl Quick Bread


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I must begin this post with a caution. While this is a pleasant sweet bread, it's not of the caliber you would serve to the queen or your mother-in-law. Why then am I featuring it? Because it can be prepared with no special equipment and it is very, very easy to make. I have a series of recipes that I call cottage coffee cakes, so named because they can be made with a bowl and spoon in kitchens that are only minimally equipped. I also make this bread when I've volunteered to bring something for morning meeting and the clock has run out on me or me on it. When I am in my own kitchen, I sift the dry ingredients together and combine all the liquids in a large pyrex cup. When we are on the road, anything goes and I usually use a fork to combine the dry ingredients in a bowl to which wet ingredients are added in the order that's specified in the recipe. The bread made with a bit more finesse is lighter, but I must admit both are flavorful and they are perfect for a Sunday breakfast when you are in a hurry or teaching a young cook. The finished cake/bread is moist  and I suspect you'll absolutely love its crunchy sugar topping. I hope you'll keep this recipe in mind for the appropriate occasion. Here is how the swirled loaves are made.




Cinnamon Swirl Quick Bread...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Freeport Briggs House B & B via Recipe Liion

Ingredients:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups + 1/2 cup of sugar, divided use
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two loaf pans with nonstick spray.
2) Mix together oil, 2 cups sugar, eggs, buttermilk, baking soda and flour in large bowl.
3) Pour a quarter of batter into each prepared pan.
4) Combine reserved 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, and salt in small bowl. Sprinkle a quarter of sugar mixture in each pan.
5) Pour remaining batter equally between pans. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Swirl a knife through batter.
6) Bake 1 hour, or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and then remove bread from pans and place on wax paper. Slice when completely cool. Yield: 2 loaves.



Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                                    Older Posts


                One Year Ago Today:                                                 Two Years Ago Today:
                  Soft Ginger Cookies                                            Orange Scented Buttermilk Cake


                Three Years Ago Today:                                                Four Years Ago Today:
              Pork and Fennel Meatballs                                                   Lemon Pound Cake



7 comments :

Kurinji said...

bread looks delicious....

Kim said...

Love love cinnamon, this quick bread looks delicious!

David said...

Mary, This cinnamon swirl quick bread looks terrific! Add some nice butter on a warm slice and my day would be off to a great start... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Manu said...

Mary, I'd like a slice :-)
xox

We Are Not Martha said...

This would be dangerous for me to have in the house because I could definitely eat an entire loaf!

Sues

Tricia Buice said...

Since I'm not the queen of anything - this quick bread is perfect for me! Love the swirl - very nice.

Unknown said...

yum this looks amazing!

styleandchocolates

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly