Monday, March 23, 2015

A Simple Microwave Lemon Curd


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...While I am not completely dependent on them, there are times I use shortcuts to make work in the kitchen easier. I love lemon curd and usually prepare it the traditional way, but I had just made scones today and wanted to serve them with lemon curd. This recipe, which I found on the King Arthur website, is one that I've used in the past when I need the curd quickly. Curd made in this manner is an acceptable substitute for the real thing. It is quite tart, not as sweet as other homemade or commercial varieties, and while it is thinner in consistency, it is tasty nonetheless. I'm using a variation of the photo that is shown on the King Arthur site because I ran into with a strange problem with the batch I made this morning. I've been using organic eggs that have intensely orange yolks of late, and it was a mistake to use them here because my curd was off color and decidedly not lemon colored. The flavor was fine, but the color was off-putting and in a range that was neither orange nor yellow. I lightened my batch with a bit of cream to make it presentable, but it lost that come-hither translucence that makes curd so appealing, and because this is so tasty I wanted you to see it at its best. This is a real time saver and I hope curiosity will tempt you to give the recipe a try. It's great on scones or muffins, and it takes gingerbread to a whole nother level. Here is how this quick and simple curd is made.


Microwave Lemon Curd...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of King Arthur Flour

Ingredients:
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter, melted
2 large eggs

Directions:

1) Combine all of the ingredients in a large microwave-safe bowl. To avoid bubble-overs, the contents should fill no more than 1/4 of the bowl; an 8-cup measure works well here.
2) Microwave the ingredients in 1-minute increments, removing from the oven and stirring to combine after each minute.
3) When curd starts to thicken; coats the back of a spoon; and starts to mound a bit as you stir, it's done. This will take anywhere from 4 to 10 minutes, depending on the strength/power of your microwave.
4) Stir the curd one more time, spoon it into a storage container, and refrigerate until firm.
5) Keep curd refrigerated for up to 3 weeks; freeze for longer storage.
Yield: a scant 2 cups lemon curd.


Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                                    Older Posts


                One Year Ago Today:                                                       Two Years Ago Today:
Cranberry Cashew and White Chocolate Cookies                   Roast Lamb with Greek-Style Potatoes


                Three Years Ago Today:                                           Four Years Ago Today:
Milk Braised Pork Tenderloin with Spinach Salad                 Thai-Style Honey Peanut Chicken

5 comments :

zooperson said...

I don't comment enough on your excellent recipes. Even when it is something I probably will not prepare, I read it all the way through and always learn something. The Silver Fox eats at a king's table.

We Are Not Martha said...

This is absolutely beautiful!! I'd totally be eating it with a spoon :)

Sues

Lori E said...

Perfect timing on this. I bought a bag of lemons last week and only used a couple for cooking.
Still cheaper to buy them at Costco in the big bag than to buy a few at my grocery store.
I was just going to freeze them whole but will make some curd instead. Mmmmm.

Alicia said...

This looks so simple. Could it really be that simple? I will have to try this. I bought some in a can once before...not very good!

Manu said...

Your lemon curd looks delicious!!!
I love it

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly