Friday, April 17, 2015

Hungarian-Style Red Pepper Bisque


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I love soups that are made with roasted red or yellow peppers. They are a wonderful way to spruce up a sandwich lunch and they pack a flavor punch that is hard to beat. I don't make them often because the soups require a lot of peppers and the red and yellow varieties are usually quite expensive. Usually! I made an early stop at the grocers on Easter Sunday to buy greens for our holiday salad. While I was in the produce aisle I literally tripped over a large box of red peppers that were being sold 4 for a dollar. I grabbed a large bag and picked the best peppers in the box and took them home with me. The following day I roasted them for use in soup and kept the rest to use as part of antipasto platter. This is the easiest of my pepper soups to make and it is one that I really enjoy. I usually double the recipe when I make it and freeze the extra batch to serve on one of our gray and rainy days. I chose this recipe because we were going to have Welsh rarebit and the version I make is spooned over a seeded rye bread. I thought the paprika and caraway seed used in this Hungarian-style recipe would be a better match for the rarebit than a Spanish variety might. If you are skilled with a knife or have a food processor, you can have this soup on the table in less than an hour. It will keep in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 days, and it can be frozen for up to three months. The soup contains no cream and potatoes, rather than flour, are used to thicken it. I do hope you'll give the recipe a try. Here is how the soup is made.



Hungarian-Style Roasted Red Pepper Bisque ...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil + olive oil for drizzling
1 cup peeled and chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon Hungarian sweet paprika
1 teaspoon Hungarian hot paprika
1 teaspoon ground caraway seeds
2 pounds thick-skinned red peppers, roasted and sliced
Salt and pepper
2 medium-size baking potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 quart water
2 cups chicken broth

Directions:
1) Combine olive oil, carrot, celery, onion, both sweet and hot paprika, and ground caraway seeds in a stockpot set over medium heat. Saute until vegetables are soft and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Add roasted peppers and cook for 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomato paste, potatoes, water and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
2) Use an immersion mixer or a blender to puree soup. If using a blender puree soup in batches to prevent burns. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in soup bowls, drizzling each portion with a generous amount of olive oil. Yield: 6 to 8 serving.

Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                                    Older Posts



                One Year Ago Today:                                                   Two Years Ago Today:
Spinach and Mushroom Salad with Miso Dressing                       Sausage and White Bean Stew




                Three Years Ago Today:                                                 Four Years Ago Today:
    Sugar Crusted Blueberry Quick Bread                                              Mocha Crumb Cake



3 comments :

Sparkly Jules said...

Oh Mary, this looks delish. I lurve red peppers. I've seen them for 99 cents each here in California, but 4/$1- is outrageous! I hope you stocked up.

I'm going to give this a shot next time I see red peppers on sale (any day now). I'm going to leave out the potatoes and add either cooked chicken or shrimp and some heavy whipping cream (based on my post-weight-loss-surgery plumbing, i.e., high protein and fat, low carb), but I know it will be delicious.

Thanks for posting it!

Jules

Jasline @ Foodie Baker said...

This looks really delicious! I've never seen peppers on sale at my place before, but if I do, I'll definitely grab them to make this soup!

Big Dude said...

This looks delicious and the perfect soup for the pepper lover in me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly