From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I decided to feature this recipe because it uses brown butter to make an otherwise classic spritz cookie. It also uses maple syrup to "cement" two layers of the cookies together. I'm not sure you'll prefer these cookies to the spritz cookies you usually make for the holidays, but the recipe is food for thought and will give you another way to approach this Christmas classic. These cookies freeze and store well, so you can make them well before the holiday. I do hope you'll give them a try. Here is the recipe.
Brown Butter Sandwich Spritz Cookies...from the kitchen of One Perfect bite courtesy of Country Woman
1 cup + 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup maple syrup
1) In a small heavy saucepan, cook and stir butter over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
2) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
3) Set aside 2 tablespoons browned butter for filling. In a large bowl, beat 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and remaining browned butter until smooth. Beat in the egg, yolk and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
4) Using a cookie press fitted with the disk of your choice, press dough 2 in. apart onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 8-9 minutes or until set (do not brown). Remove to wire racks to cool.
5) In a small heavy saucepan, bring syrup to a boil. Cool slightly. Whisk in remaining confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat reserved browned butter until light and fluffy. Beat in syrup mixture until smooth.
6)) Spread 1 teaspoon filling over the bottom of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies. Yield: about 3 dozen.
One Year Ago Today: Two Years Ago Today:Menu for Week of 12-14-2014 Red Curry Chicken
Three Years Ago Today: Four Years Ago Today:Sweet Chili Sloppy Toms Bacon Wrapped Tenderloin Bites