From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This is a lovely cake that is simple to make and perfect for the holiday. It freezes well, so in order to keep my nerves steady and counters clear, I make the cake several days before I actually plan to serve it, and save myself some stress on D-Day. The recipe comes from Barefeet in the Kitchen and it includes directions for making a gluten free version of the cake. It is great to have this recipe in your files if you have friends for whom gluten is a no-no. If you want to dress the cake up a bit, you can drizzle it with a simple sugar glaze, but taste-wise that is really not necessary. I usually make and freeze 2 cakes and cut them into pieces for storage. I pull them out for unexpected company during the holidays, and on the off-chance there are leftovers, the Silver Fox likes the cake well-enough to see there are no wasted slices. If you have a ton of company during the holidays, do give this recipe a try. Here is how the cake is made.
Cranberry Christmas Cake...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Barefeet in the Kitchen
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
12 oz. fresh cranberries
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a 9 x 13-inch pan.
2) With a mixer, beat eggs and sugar until slightly thickened and light in color, about 5-7 minutes. The mixture should almost double in size and form a ribbon when beaters are lifted from bowl.
3) Add butter and vanilla and mix two more minutes.
4) Stir in flour until just combined. Add cranberries and stir to mix throughout.
5) Spread in prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a cake tester near center of cake comes out clean. Let cool completely before cutting into small pieces.
Gluten Free Substitution:
1-1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
One Year Ago Today: Two Years Ago Today:Double Pork Loin Roast with Fennel and Sage Danish Cinnamon Crisps
Three Years Ago Today: Four Years Ago Today:Pumpkin Pancakes with Caramel Orange Syrup Spaghetti al Limone