Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Easy No-Bake Pumpkin Pudding Cake


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Excuses, excuses! I hope you're ready for them, and I'll apologize now for the one that is about to come. I pride myself on baking and cooking from scratch, but there are times when a gal has to kick principles aside and take the low road to glory. This past weekend, I was asked to bring a dessert to a potluck supper. I normally go out of my way to make something special for functions such as this, but I've attended other suppers with this group and knew there would be a lot of mac n' cheese and enough pasta salad to feed the island of Santorini. This was a pie and pudding crowd and, rather than fuss over tortes or mousse, I decided to give them just that. During the Thanksgiving holiday, I make an icebox dessert for my family that is made with homemade cinnamon crackers and a pumpkin mousse that is laced with orange liqueur. It is really good and will make your socks go up and down. Well, to make a long story short, I decided to simplify that dessert for the potluck, and make it using ready made ingredients that would make it nearly effortless to prepare. I order spiced pumpkin pudding in quantity at Thanksgiving time. I enjoy the pudding and make it throughout the year, though I always give it a flavor boost with additional spices when I make it. I decided to use it and packaged cinnamon grahams for my potluck contribution. The cake turned out well and it is very tasty, though it is a bit messier to cut than I like. That aside, this cake is so easy to make that I thought you might want to add it to your roster for potlucks that are similar to the one I attended. Here is how it's made.



No-Bake Pumpkin Pudding Cake...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
3 (3.4-oz.) packages instant pumpkin spice pudding mix
Spice Mix:
...1 teaspoon ground ginger
...1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
...1/4 teaspoon ground mace
...1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
...1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
6 cups milk
1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
8 oz. whipped topping (thawed if frozen) or 2 cups whipped cream
1 box cinnamon graham crackers

Directions:

1) Cover bottom of a 9 x 13-inch pan with graham crackers.
2) Whisk spice mix into packaged pudding to combine. Stir orange zest into milk. Whisk milk into pudding per package instructions. Let sit until pudding sets.
2) Cover graham crackers with half of pudding.
3) Place another layer of graham crackers over pudding layer.
4) Cover graham cracker layer with remaining pudding. Top with whipped topping or whipped cream.
5) Refrigerate overnight. Cut into pieces as you would a rectangular cake. Yield: 12 servings.


Follow Me on Pinterest                    

                                     Older Posts


             One Year Ago Today:                                                                  Two Years Ago Today:
                Multigrain Pancakes                                                        Blueberry and Almond Cheese Puff


                 Three Years Ago Today:                                                           Four Years Ago Today: 
                    Creamy Spinach Soup                                                             Spice Roasted Almonds

4 comments :

We Are Not Martha said...

This cake looks pretty and delicious! Love the pumpkin :)

Sues

David said...

Mary, Very nifty recipe...sounds great! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Anonymous said...

Where do you get the instant pumpkin pudding, Mary? I would love this. I love pumpkin flavored anything.

Jules

Mary Bergfeld said...

Jules, the pudding is available in some stores during the Thanksgiving holiday. Alas, I've never lived where it is sold, so I use Amazon to purchase it and get 8 packs at a time. You can purchase it online throughout the year, but to make the mailing cost worthwhile you have to buy in bulk. I have only one of my 8 boxes left, so aged pumpkin pudding mix is not something we have to deal with around here :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly