Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Rigatoni with Broccoli and Sausage


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This simple weeknight supper can be table ready in a bit less than 30 minutes. It makes a nice family meal with minimal use of pots and pans, or wear and tear on the cook. This is not a saucy pasta but it has wonderful flavor. I use linguica when I make this for my family, but any well-seasoned sausage can be used, as long as you are careful about the heat level of the sausage you select. The dish also uses red pepper flakes, which when paired with a hot and spicy sausage, can make the dish surprisingly hot and over-the-top for some diners. I'm quite fond of this pasta because of its ample use of broccoli, which is a favorite of mine. I make additional cheese available at the table and I always save a cup or so of the pasta cooking water to provide extra moisture if it is necessary. I do hope you'll give this recipe a try.Here is how this simple pasta supper is made.

Rigatoni with Broccoli and Sausage...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Family Circle Magazine

Ingredients:
3/4 pound Italian-style sausage, casings removed
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 pound rigatoni
3/4 cup fat-free chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
1 head broccoli (2-1/2 pounds), cut into flowerets (8 cups)
1 tablespoon garlic olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan

Directions:

1) Bring large pot of lightly salted water to boiling.
2) Crumble sausage into nonstick skillet with garlic; saute 5 minutes.
3) Add rigatoni to boiling water. Cook until al dente, tender yet firm.
4) Add broth, flakes and broccoli to skillet. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover; add oil, juice, salt, pepper and Parmesan. Remove from heat.
5) Drain pasta. Place in a serving bowl. Toss with sauce. Cover bowl and let sit for 2 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.

If you have enjoyed your visit here, I hope you'll take a minute to...

Follow Me on Pinterest      








One Year Ago Today: Triple Peanut Butter Cookies
















Two Years Ago Today: Savory Monkey Bread
















Three Years Ago Today: Sweet Raspberry Tea



















Four Years Ago Today: Uptown Hoe Cakes with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

13 comments :

Top Cuisine avec Lavi said...

This rigatoni looks amazing! Great recipe! kiss and hug, Mary!

Tanna said...

I'll take mine WITH the spicy sausage and the crushed red pepper. Extra heat is always enjoyed when it is just Evan and me around the table. ;) Thank you, Mary. blessings ~ tanna

Kim said...

Pasta meals can be on the table quite fast! Love these!

Unknown said...

I do so love meals that can be on the table in 30 minutes or less! This one could end up being a favorite of ours too!!

Jessica Jarrell said...

I make something similar to this, it is so good! You wouldn't think something so simple would be so delicious, but oh yes, it is :)

Mr. & Mrs. P said...

Light, quick and perfect meal!! We have been watching what we eat for the last couple weeks and we can add this to our dinner menu..

David said...

Mary, This is my kind of entrée! Any pasta with spicy sausage and broccoli is a good thing...spicier the better. Thanks for the recipe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Ginny Hartzler said...

This would be a wow dish for me, I love both rigatoni and ziti (hmmm, spell checker insists that I use zits instead of ziti), and also broccoli.

Jasline @ Foodie Baker said...

Hi Mary, the rigatoni looks absolutely delicious! Feeling so hungry right now!

Unknown said...

I love yummy dinners like this that come together so quickly. I almost always forget to save the pasta water!! aaargh!

Priya Suresh said...

Incredible and terrific dish,cant resist.

Rambling Tart said...

This sounds so simple to whip together, Mary. :-) I love the savory sausage with the broccoli.

Pasta-recipes said...

This recipe is fueled and healthy. I love broccoli and I try to eat them often.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly