Friday, September 4, 2009

Uptown Hoe Cakes with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce - Foodie Friday




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...If you are looking for something unusual to serve for breakfast or brunch, I think you'll love this recipe. These thin and savory pancakes are packed with flavor and take grandma's hoe cakes to another level. They are made with corn in several guises, but the real flavor boost comes from the roasted red pepper sauce that is served with them. The recipe is similar to the one that is used at the Wishbone Restaurant in Chicago. The hoe cakes are very simple to make and everything, except the addition of egg whites, can be done the day before you plan to serve them. This batter is probably thinner than most you have worked with, but it will make lovely little cakes. The instructions I have call for making pancakes that are two and one-half inches in diameter and I do do that when I'm not rushed. When time trumps intent, I opt for standard size pancakes. The red pepper sauce comes together in minutes and has the added advantage of being wonderful with plain grilled chicken. In case you're wondering why these are called hoe cakes, they got the name because they were originally cooked on the flat of a hoe over an open fire. Here's the recipe sans the hoe.

Uptown Hoe Cakes with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
Hoe Cakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon + 1 pinch salt, divided use
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2-1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
2 large eggs, separated
1-1/2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup cream-style corn
2/3 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels, coarsely chopped
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Pepper Sauce
1/2 cup dry white wine or white vermouth
3 shallots, minced
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
2 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and pureed or two whole roasted red peppers from a jar, drained, patted dry and pureed

Directions:
1) To make sauce: Combine wine and shallots in a saucepan and reduce by half over medium-high heat. Add cream and cook until reduced by half. Lower heat to medium-low and whisk in butter a piece at a time, until it emulsifies. Whisk in pureed bell pepper. Keep sauce warm over very low heat. If it separates, it can be whisked together again.
2) To make the hoe cakes: Mix flour, corn meal, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl. Place buttermilk, egg yolks, tabasco sauce and butter in a second bowl. Whisk to combine. Stir in creamed corn, corn kernels, green onions and bread crumbs. Add flour mixture and stir just to blend. Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
3) Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Pour or spoon in batter to form cakes in 2-1/2 inches in diameter. Cook until bubbles form on top, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn cakes and cook until they spring back when touched, about 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil as necessary. Keep warm in a low oven or serve immediately drizzled with some sauce. Yield: 32 hoe cakes.

This recipe is being linked to Designs By Gollum - Foodie Friday

46 comments :

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

With cornmeal that must be so good. Thanks for sharing.

Puna said...

Looks delicious, but why is it called a hoe cake?

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

I've never heard of a hoe cake! It looks good though - I really like the red pepper sauce. Beautiful photo too.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Puna, they're called hoe cakes because they were originally cooked on the back of a hoe over an open fire.

NKP said...

I've never had anything like them. They look delish. Are hoe cakes Southern?

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Mary, another delicious offering here. Looks SO good!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Mary Bergfeld said...

Natashya, not originally, but they fell out of favor in other areas. It's a shame because they are very good.

susan said...

I have always wanted to try a hoe cake--if it has cornmeal in it, I know I will like it. I've got dessert to go with your breakfast posted at my place :) ps--thanks for the info on the name origin--very interesting!

Unknown said...

Never heard of hoe cake,but this is a must try. THANKS!!! for the recipe. Geri

Anonymous said...

Mary,

Sounds amazing! I have never tried these before...guess what is on the menu for this weekend?! I have everything on hand so it should be a snap.

Have a lovely weekend~
Debbykay at Rose Cottage Gardens and Farm

Southerncook said...

Oh Mary, my husband loves hoe cakes but I never make them for him. This is a reminder that I should. He would love the Roasted Red Pepper Sauce with them. Will copy and make them for him.

Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

Southerncook said...

AND YES, they are very Southern.

Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I love the name and what a great idea to serve with this sauce.

Anonymous said...

I recently had these for the first time in Nashville. They were delicious, warm, with just butter. YUM. Now I can make them at home! Thanks Mary!

Jules

My Little Space said...

Oh my, these few days I was like really craving for food....these look so delish!

tracieMoo said...

I've never had this but it looks delicious!

Poppedijne said...

Never have heart from Hoe Cakes but the idea is quite nice. I sound a bit like the harty pancakes they sell in Normandy.

Carol at Serendipity said...

Everything looks wonderful! I love anything with red peppers!
Carol

Jamie said...

Yum! I make something vaguely similar - a savory fritter type pancake, but yours look so much better, lighter and fluffier, and they sound much more flavorful. I must try them.

Dee said...

oh man, those hoe cakes look sooo good

i love me some spicy and some corn meal! YUM!

TwirlandTaste said...

Oh that is one perfect bite! Hoe cakes have long been served at southern tables. Also popular is the hot water corn cake. You can make some delicious bites with cornmeal, but then everything you share with us looks so good.
Happy Twirls

honeysuckle said...

I have never tried or heard of hoe cakes. They look good. The sauce definitely good. I am glad they are not cooked on the hoe anymore. Have a great Labor Day!

The Desperate Cook said...

I have heard of hoe cakes but never knew why they were called that. Thanks Mary for the comment letting us know why. I know I am going to have to try these. Hubs will love them.

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who smiles when I hear "Hoe Cake?" Bad I am. These look delicious and easy Mary. Thanks for another great one!
XOSue

jeanne said...

Hi Mary, yes, I have 7 gorgeous quarts of tomatoes. I just returned from my sister's house today and we made four more crock pots of sauce. One of those crock pots is mine. it is cooking away as I comment here. I will go back this evening to help can the sauce. My sister lives right across the mountain from me. I can see her house from my deck. It is one mile. Another sister is my backyard neighbor and another sister lives in town about 17 miles from here. We are so lucky to live near each other.

Those hoe cakes sound so good. I must try them. All the ingredients have to be good together. The sauce sounds yummy to. Your photo should win an award. LOL. I happened to have several red peppers right now.

Thanks for a great new recipe.

Hugs...Jeanne

Lori E said...

I am glad you explained why they are called hoe cakes. I was thinking perhaps they were being served with Italian Putanesca sauce. Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Shellbelle said...

This is definitely an "Uptown" hoe cake, I love them anyway I can get them and this sounds like it will be the best I've ever had.

I love finding family favorites redone this way. I can impress my Southern kin when they pick on me for growing up in California.

Tammy518 said...

These look fabulous and the sauce sounds so delicious. My mom makes little cornbread hoe cakes. I've always wondered why they were called that, and now I know! Have a great weekend!

vanillasugarblog said...

Ohhh love my hoe cakes! Need to try it with that sauce.

Hootin Anni said...

Okay, my dear Mary, I've heard of these, but I've never seen them made and a 'finished product'! So, that means I suppose, I've lived under a rock all these years. They look delicious.

Heather S-G said...

These sound like a delicious breakfast! Great post :)

Unknown said...

This is perfect, for breakfast, it's not as sweet. thanks

Lauren said...

I've never had hoe cakes, but they sure do look yummy =D. Love the cornmeal inside!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Hello Mary~ ~It's always a treat to visit and see what you have been up to in the kitchen. Gotta go get some fresh corn and give these a try this weekend.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

sunnymama said...

Yummy! I'm going to try this recipe very soon. Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

beauties.. . i LOVE LOVE LOVE anything (well almost anything) with cornmeal. A must try (new idea.. thanx!!!!) this weekend at the inn

gp

Jennifer said...

Hoe, hoe hoe.....Mary, do you think these would be good with whole wheat flour?

Katy ~ said...

I would love to see these at my breakfast table!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Jennifer, I would not use wholewheat flour for the how cakes. It would make them heavy.

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

That sounds delicious. Love the sauce idea!

Christi

test it comm said...

I like the sound of the hoe cakes with cornmeal and corn. They would go well with that dipping sauce.

Lori said...

I love the ones I make so I am quite sure I would love these. Love the addition of tabasco... hmmm. And a fabulous dip along side.

red said...

I loved making these, but hoe cake? lol

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

This is for my family. Hubby can't have gluten so if I sub GF flour for the AP flour, I have a great dinner for us. We love anything with corn meal.

I use corn meal a lot more than most people because of the celiac. Thanks for this recipe.

Barbara said...

Hi Mary,
Fresh bread crumbs are mentioned in the ingredients but not in the instructions ~ when are they added?
They look great and I'd love to make them. Thanks for sharing.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Barbara, the bread crumbs should be added at the same time you add the green onions. I've adjust the directions to reflect that. Thanks for pointing out the omission. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly